PDA

View Full Version : Cal Ripken in Beckett magazine article

stlbats
07-24-2007, 09:34 PM
Was reading an article in Beckett Baseball Card Monthy (maybe the current issue) where Ripken spoke of some of his game used stuff. I can't recall all of it but he did say that what the HOF doesnt have, he has most of his stuff stored in boxes. He also says that he has all of his fielding gloves except one "backup gamer" that he gave to a little kid and one that was stolen in Kansas City. The issue has Ripken on one cover and Gwynn on the other side. Check out the article.

Jason

ripken8@bellsouth.net

allstarsplus
07-24-2007, 09:56 PM
Jason - Interesting article. I had the same discussion with Brett Herman last year so it is interesting that Cal said the same in Beckett.

I helped out the Cal Ripken Sr. Foundation many years ago and was told that Cal had most of his game used items in storage. I wish I could say I had seen the stash. Cal would often help out other Major Leaguers charity events by taking something out of storage and I cringed once when he gave the Foundation a broken P72 so they could cut it up to make wooden pens out of it.

As far as keeping track of gloves, cleats, bats, jerseys, it has to be tough when you play in 3,000+ games. I can believe that when it comes to his fielder's gloves he would know where those are, but bats will find its way out of the clubhouse. As for jerseys, for many years the Orioles kept close control on the jerseys and there are legit jerseys in the hobby. You sure don't see many cleats so maybe he kept most of those too. Batting gloves are certainly out there.

This article certainly puts in question many Ripken fielding gloves that are out there.

Andrew

allstarsplus
07-24-2007, 10:15 PM
Uh oh, Dan has a Ripken 1994 fielders glove for sale for $8,000 on the site

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=9693

Dan, what do you think of Cal's statement?

Andrew

mr.miracle
07-24-2007, 10:37 PM
I recently had a conversation related to Ripken game used gloves with someone at Rawlings. This gentleman told me that in most years, Rawlings only made Cal two fielders gloves however he knew for a fact that Cal used his fielders gloves for as many as four seasons total. With that being the case, it seems likely that all the supposed fielders gloves out there that are used by Cal are by and large complete fakes. This gentleman also informed me that carbon copies have been made of Cal's gloves right down to the USA label. He said that all it would take is a bit of oil and somebody playing pitch and catch in the backyard and nobody would probably know the difference.

Andrew is absolutely correct in his assessment. Can you imagine if Cal has say 75% of his game bats locked up somewhere what that would look like. If I am correct on this I believe based upon his bat shipping records he ordered somewhere in excess of 2750 bats throughout his career. Obviously all of these did not see game action, but even so, he could have literally hundreds if not a thousand game used bats locked up somewhere.

I tend to think much of the stuff on the market that is reportedly Cal's game used stuff is completely bogus.

Maybe Ironmanfan can shed some light on exactly where the underground hidden vault is located? Somewhere on the Ripken estate perhaps?

ironmanfan
07-24-2007, 11:09 PM
For those of you who caught Cal on QVC last night, the subject of bats came up & Cal told the host (Dan Wheeler) that some people have wine cellars at home while he is a little different in that he has a "bat cellar" at home..

ironmanfan
07-24-2007, 11:26 PM
I helped out the Cal Ripken Sr. Foundation many years ago and was told that Cal had most of his game used items in storage. I wish I could say I had seen the stash. Cal would often help out other Major Leaguers charity events by taking something out of storage

That's where this baby came from...Cal marks all his special event bats with athletic tape....One of these days, I'll have the Rocket sign it too..

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k172/whhp72/ebay001-2.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k172/whhp72/ebay002-2.jpg

mr.miracle
07-25-2007, 01:01 AM
For those of you who caught Cal on QVC last night, the subject of bats came up & Cal told the host (Dan Wheeler) that some people have wine cellars at home while he is a little different in that he has a "bat cellar" at home..

Ironmanfan:

Does that happen to be Dan Wheeler the relief pitcher for the Houston Astros? If so, he is looking a bit old to be playing baseball.

If Cal has a bat cellar, what the heck does he ultimately plan to do with all that lumber? At some point does he plan to sell it or hold onto it for generations to come to be passed on to his children and their children etc. etc. I would just be curious to know what his long term plans are for all his game used equipment.

BaseballGM
07-25-2007, 06:21 AM
The O's had a designated, separate bat closet for Ripken bats.

allstarsplus
07-25-2007, 06:57 AM
That's where this baby came from...Cal marks all his special event bats with athletic tape....One of these days, I'll have the Rocket sign it too..
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k172/whhp72/ebay002-2.jpg
If you ever want Clemens to sign, I regularly do send-ins at Tri-Star for Roger Clemens so let me know if you want that done.

Andrew
info@allstarsplus.com

ironmanfan
07-25-2007, 09:05 AM
Thanks Andrew, I'll keep that in mind. Where do you think it would be best for him to sign it? My thought was on the front barrell just to the right of Cal's contract signature.

allstarsplus
07-25-2007, 10:18 AM
Thanks Andrew, I'll keep that in mind. Where do you think it would be best for him to sign it? My thought was on the front barrell just to the right of Cal's contract signature.

Great idea. Roger is great with inscriptions so he will probably date it for you. I also have helped other members with Cal so if you want Cal to inscribe, let me know as I will send thru IronClad or you can catch him live at a show.

Read my story about Clemens signing on my Piazza bat on Post #32 on this link http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=6300&page=4&highlight=piazza+clemens

Along with Cal, Roger Clemens is one of my favorite signors. I have only done one live signing with Roger and several with Cal. A great pair.

By the way, great bat!

I also forwarded this link to 2 very prominent Ripken collectors. One of them also has a Ripken fielder's glove so he isn't thrilled with that article either.

Andrew