Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 3arod13
    • Apr 2006

I still don't get it - such a waste cutting sigs

I still don't get the interest in these cards. A cut from an 8x10...a check...and a bad arod signature, and it's at $1,000+ with 4 days to go. Just don't get it. I have better things to spend $1,000+ on that something like this that won't hold its value in the future.

Regards, Tony

sigpic

~I'm sorry, I can't hear you....my World Series Ring is making too much NOISE! - Alex Rodriguez~
  • ahuff
    • Nov 2005

Re: I still don't get it - such a waste cutting sigs

I guess I can understand your thoughts. I remember, way back in my school days, the girls not understanding the interest in cards. We knew we could sell or trade them. However, they said "it is just paper".

I believe any sports collectible holds no intrinsic value. Therefore, it is only worth what someone is willing to pay. As of now, I guess this "piece of paper" is worth over $1,000. They same can be said of our hobby. Several years ago, I remember people asking well over $1,000 for Helton, Halladay and Delgado items. I just tried to sell mine for $500, with no takers.
    "We need rebirth of the American tradition of leadership ... in private life as well." "'Trust me' government asks that we concentrate our hopes and dreams on one man; that we trust him to do what's best for us. My view of government places trust not in one person or one party, but in those values that transcend persons and parties. The trust is where it belongs--in the people." - Ronald Reagan"

http://www.freewebs.com/chrishwish/

Comment

• 33bird
      Banned
      • Nov 2005

I agree and we have discussed this before, but it'll never stop now because people keep paying insane prices for them. I have a real 1980-81 rookie card of Bird/Dr.J/Magic-you know the one-in NM/MT signed perfectly at shows by all three and authenticated by James Spence to boot. It's probably about a 1/1-I've never seen another. Anyway, if upper deck did a reprint of the card with 3 cut autographs and put 1/1 or 1/5 on it-it would probably for sure out sell my card-probably would go for double. Even though mine's a real nice vintage rookie card, with 3 perfect signatures signed at shows, and authenticated by JSA. Doesn't make any sense but that's how dumb autograph collectors are. Just my 2 cents.
      Greg

Comment

• David
        • Sep 2024

Just because it is worth $1,000 today, doesn't mean it will be worth $1,000 ten years from now.

Comment

• 3arod13
          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by 33bird
          I agree and we have discussed this before, but it'll never stop now because people keep paying insane prices for them. I have a real 1980-81 rookie card of Bird/Dr.J/Magic-you know the one-in NM/MT signed perfectly at shows by all three and authenticated by James Spence to boot. It's probably about a 1/1-I've never seen another. Anyway, if upper deck did a reprint of the card with 3 cut autographs and put 1/1 or 1/5 on it-it would probably for sure out sell my card-probably would go for double. Even though mine's a real nice vintage rookie card, with 3 perfect signatures signed at shows, and authenticated by JSA. Doesn't make any sense but that's how dumb autograph collectors are. Just my 2 cents.
          Greg
          Wow! I'd love to see that card. Wanna sell it?
          Regards, Tony

sigpic

~I'm sorry, I can't hear you....my World Series Ring is making too much NOISE! - Alex Rodriguez~

Comment

• 33bird
            Banned
            • Nov 2005

It's coming back from JSA. Bird signed it thru a private signing with Schwartz Sports; Dr. J just barely signed it this month at a CSA show; and, Magic signed it at last years National in Anaheim. I really didn't need to get it authenticated, but it only cost 20.00 and that included getting it encapsulated, so I figured if I ever try and sell it, it would just sell for that much more with the JSA. Anyway, I might try and sell it before too long, because I have a 1976 Game used Tony Perez bat that a guy says he'll sell me come October, so maybe then. I'll post a picture on here when it arrives.
            Greg

Comment

• richpick
              • Oct 2006

Baseball card companies have been trying to outdue each other for years. I believe the outcome years from now will be a glut of autographed special cards which will drive down the prices overall of these special insert cards.

Comment

Working...