PDA

View Full Version : HOF Induction Ceremony - Anyone go??

ripkengamers
07-30-2007, 09:55 AM
Did anyone go to the HOF Induction ceremonies for Ripken and Gwynn at Cooperstown this weekend? I'd be interested in what others thought and possibly share some photos. I was there and will post my thoughts later. Thanks!

harpt
07-30-2007, 10:40 AM
Cool, I am glad you got the chance to go...what a wonderful experience.

I went in 1999 when Robin Yount was inducted (OK, some guys named Ryan, Brett, and Cepeda got in that year too). It was definately a major highlight for me.

I know this post is about the 2007 ceremony so I won't try to take it over, but I just wanted to congratulate you on going to see your hero get inducted because I know how big a thrill it was for me when I saw mine in '99.

Scott

ripkengamers
07-31-2007, 11:59 AM
Did anyone go to the HOF Induction ceremonies for Ripken and Gwynn at Cooperstown this weekend? I'd be interested in what others thought and possibly share some photos. I was there and will post my thoughts later. Thanks!

Maybe others didn't read this post but I would have thought several of the members would have attended this ceremony.....anyway, I was one of 70,000+ in attendance for the Ripken/Gwynn induction festivities in Cooperstown. I haven't been to the Hall since I was a teenager and believe me, I've never seen a crowd of this magnitude invade a small town with the population of only 2,000 like this before! I drove in with a few buddies on Sunday morning and got there early enough to get into the HOF before the general public as a member...........thankfully. By 10:00 you couldn't move inside the place!
There were 51 of 63 living HOF members in Cooperstown that day on the stage for the induction. No where else could you amass such a group of ex ball players.......what a sight to behold. Many of this group were signing autographs throughout the course of the weekend at various locations in town. Prices for auto's were much higher than you would get for these guys at standard shows but it didn't stop many even with a price tag of $300 for a Willie Mays auto! Despite the threat of rain for most of the morning, by induction time at 1:30 the sun came out and everything went off without a hitch! I had reserve seating at the ceremony and still was probably 50-75 yards away. I've attached a few pictures of the days experience for all to enjoy.

ironmanfan
07-31-2007, 12:21 PM
Hey Dan, great post. It was a pleasure to finally have the opportunity to meet you and like yourself, it was a weekend that I won't soon forget!

jboosted92
07-31-2007, 12:31 PM

it was crazy up there....somehow 4 weeks ago, my buddy got a hotel room at the "BASEBALL HOTEL" FR WOODS>...which is 2 doors down from the H.O.F. It was by far the BEST location in cooperstown..and was by Far the dumpiest hotel there....

so if anyone is thinking of going, dont stay there..unless you want to participate in the Worlds Smallest toilet!! ....however, LOCATION was 2nd to none....

Everyone was in a good mood, saw John Travolta there...it was baseball at its best.

ripkengamers
08-01-2007, 09:23 PM
Hey Dan, great post. It was a pleasure to finally have the opportunity to meet you and like yourself, it was a weekend that I won't soon forget!

Hey Bill,

Hope you made it back safe and sound from the chaos! It was a distinct pleasure to meet you and your son in Cooperstown as well. It's nice to put a face with a name................thanks again for your professionalism!

mr.miracle
08-02-2007, 01:54 PM
I also had the great pleasure of attending the HOF ceremonies and was shocked at the sea of people that were there. I was not really surprised in that I expected a hugh crowd but the sheer number of people that actually made the trip was incredible.

One really neat story that reaffirmed why I have always admired Cal Ripken happened on Monday after the HOF ceremonies. I went into town for a special members only roundtable discussion between Gwynn and Ripken that I believe airs on ESPN2 tonight at 8 or 9 or else ESPN Classic tonight at one of those times. Anyway, I was the only person on the shuttle bus from the parking lot believe it or not and the bus driver and I started talking about the crowds for the HOF ceremonies the day before. She told me she had been doing this for 15 plus years and had never seen anything like this. She also told me that she is responsible for transporting the HOF athletes, managers etc. from their hotel to the induction site and back afterward. She told me that Cal Ripken was the nicest gentleman that she had ever met and she would not name names but said some of the players over the years act like they are god's gift to planet earth and don't give you the time of day. She also mentioned that Cal had signed autographs outside of the players hotel for over an hour on Sunday after the ceremonies were over. She just relayed the fact that he was such a class act.

Anyway, a good time overall except for car problems and a speeding ticket along the way. Sorry I was not able to catch up with Dan and Bill over the weekend as I was looking forward to finally meeting both of those fine gentlemen but with the crowds that was like looking for a needle in a haystack.

If you are thinking about doing the HOF ceremonies at some point it is well worth it and I would highly recommend making the trip. Two finer gentlemen than Gwynn and Ripken you would be hard pressed to find. It is hard to imagine the possibility of a larger crowd making it to Cooperstown at least until Derek Jeter goes in and even then it would probably take another huge player or two going in at the same time to bring out a crowd that large.