PDA

View Full Version : RIP Bill Robinson

TNTtoys
07-30-2007, 11:04 AM
I thought that it would only be fitting that I posted the Bill Robinson message, as the proud owner of many Bill Robinson game worn and autographed items.

I first began collecting Robinson items just a couple of years ago, as he was a player I watched growing up, was a key part of the 1986 Mets WS Championship, 1979 Pirates WS Championship and has always been considered one of the true gentlemen and role-model of the game, through his hard work ethic and strong family values.

I had the pleasure of meeting Bill just a few months ago at an MAB signing, and talking to him about his days as a coach with the Mets.

I am sure he will be missed, as he brought a lot to the game, as a player, role-model and teacher. RIP, Bill.

skyliner59
07-30-2007, 01:54 PM
My thoughts exactly. Outstanding person. My son and I had the privilege of meeting Mr. Robinson in Vero Fla. this past spring. He saw us wearing Phillies items and immediately struck up a conversation with my son and I. He lived in the southern NJ not far from where I live. I was actually going to contact him to see if he would be interested in helping my 13 yr old son with his hitting stroke over the winter. He told us he worked with a group of kids last winter and enjoyed it. I was floored when I heard the news. Seemed to be a great person, role model, teacher and ambassador of the game who will be sorely missed.

metsbats
07-30-2007, 07:55 PM
I remember meeting Bill Robinson at an 86 Mets reunion and shook his hand and he offered to pose in a photo with me after seeing my daughter with a camera. An act of kindness which lead to several Robinson gamers into my collection too.

We will never forget Game 6 as Bill Robinson pointed excitedly as the ball "gets by Buckner!"

It was great to see the first base coach Mets players fondly referred to as Uncle Bill one last time during the 86 Mets reunion last August.

Uncle Bill, you were taken from us way too early and you will never be forgotten.