PDA

View Full Version : KC A's 63 Ed Lopat jersey

possum
07-31-2007, 01:06 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Ed-Lopat-1963-KC-Athletics-Game-Used-Uniform-Jersey_W0QQitemZ260143735104QQihZ016QQcategoryZ605 97QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'm not in the market for this, but just wondered why his first name is on the back of it? Was this commonplace?

Vintagedeputy
07-31-2007, 01:24 PM
That thing looks like some kind of body suit from Saturday Night Fever!

As to the first name thing, I seem to remember somewhere that the A's would do that from time to time. I found a link on Ichiro that stated this:

As for ichiro, there's no rule governing what can be written on the back of players' uniforms. some teams, you may notice, don't even put names on the back. most stick to the usual "last name" formula, though charles finley, owner of the oakland a's during the 1960s-1980s, used to put all manner of weirdness across the backs of his players -- last names, first names, nicknames... vida blue, one of finley's stars, wore "vida" on his back for his entire career, as a tribute to his father, vida blue sr.

TNTtoys
07-31-2007, 01:29 PM
To answer your question, yes, the 1963 KC Athletics put the players' first names on the backs of their jerseys, not the last names. I couldn't imagine that they would be able to fit a last name on these anyway!!

Here is a link to another that is for sale at Jim Yackel's site:
http://www.jimyackel.com/9Jay11-06.JPG

TNTtoys
07-31-2007, 01:30 PM
vida blue, one of finley's stars, wore "vida" on his back for his entire career, as a tribute to his father, vida blue sr.

Not entirely true... although he did wear "Vida" on his back for many years, he did not for his entire career.

TNTtoys
08-01-2007, 09:49 PM
I took another look at this jersey, and there is something really wrong with it. The number on the left front is in the wrong place. A friend of mine took a look through some old baseball cards (1963 A's in particular) and came to the same conclusion. The number should be much lower than it is, not directly across from the "A". If there are no signs of any alterations (as stated in the description), this cannot be a game used jersey (though as the seller guesses that it could be a "spring training" jersey, I cannot vouch for that, but don't know if SP jerseys were used way back in the early 1960's). If you check the link to the jersey from Jim Yackel's website (on this thread), the number is in the correct place. Any other opinions on this jersey?

possum
08-01-2007, 11:51 PM
Thanks for the info folks.

hblakewolf
08-02-2007, 09:11 AM
Come on guys..........

Opinions on the Wilson tagging, please? Did I miss the size & year tagging on both the shirt and pants?

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

hblakewolf
08-02-2007, 09:15 AM
Enough teasing......

Here is a 1963 road that Jim Yackel has, and the tagging appears the same as other 1963's I have seen.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net