PDA

View Full Version : National

skyking26
08-02-2007, 10:26 PM
Was in Cleveland today (August 2) and took some time to stop by and meet Rob Steinmetz, Jim Caravello and Mike Specht. Great conversation and imput. Was a pleasure meeting guys I have done business with or have been given advice by. Guess I just missed Ken "Earlywynnfan."

GU equipment is becoming lesser seen at tables every time I attend a National. That is sad. Hope all that attended had a good time...

Bob Koppel
skyking26:eek:

scottanservitz
08-02-2007, 10:45 PM
I too was there. Met Jim Caravello as well. Very nice to put faces to names on the board. I tend to agree with the game used stuff. There was a fair amount of bats. A few jerseys. Even less helmets and such. I did think that there was some fantastic game used items on display for upcoming auctions. All in all I had a great time and not enough time to see everything.
Scott

lund6771
08-02-2007, 11:07 PM
I was at the National on opening night and all day on Thursday...this is the first National that I've been to in almost 10years...I was kind of dissappointed in the fact that there was not a lot of game used stuff out there, and the attendance was pretty low....

however I did get to meet the guys at GUU...great guys and I was really impressed with quality of items that they will have coming up in their auction....it seemed like every piece on display came with MLB, NFL, and team LOA's...I left 2 pieces with them for their auction...a Joe Mauer with Team/MLB LOA and a complete Scottie Pippen with team LOA...that's the way a quality auction should be...not all this trash w/ Lampson LOA's...

Speaking of Lampson I was shocked that he was there...I'm sure he'll get bombarded this weekend...Overheard some guy kissing his ass saying that he writes the best LOA's in the biz...I almost burst out laughing..

anyways I'd consider the show a success, for myself, because I found a jersey that I've been after for a few years...not just the player, but the specific jersey of that player...odds of that happening have to be worse than finding a needle in a haystack...any idea where the show will be at next year?

Pinstripes
08-03-2007, 12:16 AM
Was there any mention of where the next national will be? I have been to every one out here in Anaheim so i'm hoping it comes back again soon.

MSpecht
08-03-2007, 07:23 AM
Here's the info from the site for 2008: CHICAGO

2008 NATIONAL SPORTS COLLECTORS CONVENTION

THE 29TH NATIONAL-CHICAGO, IL

DONALD E STEPHENS CONVENTION CENTER 7/28/2008 - 8/03/2008

This year's show has been fun so far-- by far the best part has been the face-to-face meeting with numerous GUU members. Thanks for taking the time to stop by and say Hi...

Mike

Ozric
08-03-2007, 07:48 AM
I went last night and was disappointed as well from a game used perspective. There was really not much quality stuff to choose from and the few things that I did see were double what they should sell for. Every year I hit a few big shows and every year I promise that I will never go back as the prices are always much higher than what can be had from the internet. I never really understood the overpriced show mentality. I stopped by the GUU booth as well as met the gang. A super bunch of guys who took time out to talk with me. Thanks again to everyone there! That was definitely the high point of the show for me. There was a ton of vintage cards, so I'm sure the guys from network 54 made out very well. The auction items from a few of the big auction houses were incredible as well. Oh, I did see Lou Lampson as well, but did not get a chance to talk with him as he was surrounded by people asking for his opinion about different items.

skyking26
08-03-2007, 08:47 PM
I know I took a Thome gamer with me (Cooper) trying to sell it for $375. Given that he will become a 500 HR club member in next few months, I thought that quite a deal. the money would have come in handy for other purchases. Dealers use the words aggressively buying meaning they are if you are giving the item away. I agree with you guys, the most impressive stuff was seen at auction tables forthcoming.

I have been to probably a good 10-12 Nationals and always get geeked up about that potential find. Basically what they turn out to be is a nice afternoon browsing, filling some autograph holes and visiting with friends - not all bad... Only the lucky ones make the big score finding Winfield's in attics, $90,000 in video games, etc. Guys like me are lucky to find something they want and pay thru every oriface.

earlywynnfan
08-03-2007, 11:43 PM
Bob, sorry I missed you!

I agree with what you said: great guys in the GUF booth and a serious lack of game used stuff on the floor.

Ken

jerseydave.com
08-04-2007, 02:38 AM
I am not able to attend. Does anyone know how much B&E Collectibles is asking for the #42 All American Football jerseys in the photos of their booth? I would love to pick that jersey up if anyone cares to help me out... thanks..

David.
817-454-5177
Jerseydave@sbcglobal.net