PDA

View Full Version : tbc jerseys?

griffey3
08-04-2007, 07:42 PM
hey everybody! Quick ? do MLB Turn back the Clock game worn jerseys have year tags etc?
Or are they different then regular gamers?
Thanks in advance for any help
Ryan

XPFO
08-04-2007, 07:45 PM
For the most part they are different and don't have year tags etc, there are exceptions. The Tigers TBTC jerseys from June 2nd and the Negro League jerseys from their game against the Royals on July 21st have no year tags as an example.

ham1963
08-04-2007, 08:06 PM
Both the Detriot and KC Negro League jerseys from the July 21st game were made by ASI and do not have a date stamp but do have the MLB hologram.
John :p

brianborsch
08-04-2007, 08:21 PM
That is correct. Although I am not sure if the Royals or Tigers Negro League jerseys were autographed this year. I am still waiting for mine.

TNTtoys
08-05-2007, 11:26 AM
I have noticed (as I own one and have seen countless others) that Mitchell and Ness not only puts the year on their TBC jerseys, but they have the entire date under the Mitchell and Ness tag.

I have seen others made by companies like AIS that do not bear any date or year identifiers... Rawlings definitely didn't year tag, and I don't think Majestic does either.

I think it comes down to who manufactured the TBC jersey for the MLB team. Most of the manufacturers don't, but a select few (notably M&N) do.

PudgePollyMillerFan
08-05-2007, 12:47 PM
No Set/Year Tags on the Tigers TBTC and Negro League Gamers......they do have the MLB Authentication and are NOT autographed this season as numerous collectors complained last year that they did not want them autographed so this year they were very aware of us collectors and did not have the guys sign em.....kudos to Steve Graus for that!

brianborsch
08-05-2007, 12:59 PM
Did you get any of the jerseys? If so, when you look them up on MLB.com, do they say who wore them? I noticed on the auto'd jersey it says who auto'd them. Just curious. I have two coming my way, and the cool thing is that Steve said the jerseys came right off the players backs and are unwashed! Has anyone had any stinky jerseys?

Despite the fact that there are no set #'s or year tags, from what I understand, they only made 1 jersey for each player and the MLB authentification will explain when the jersey is from.

brianborsch
08-05-2007, 01:00 PM
authentification.....that's probably not even a word.... its been a long morning...sheesh!

TNTtoys
08-05-2007, 01:09 PM
Brian,

I have a bit of experience here, and my best assessment is that MLB authentication is pretty haphazard at best.

I had in my possession 6 Texas Rangers 1962 throwbacks from the 2002 season, most of them coaches jerseys. Included were: Terry Francona, Jerry Narron, Rudy Jaramillo, as well as players like Kevin Mench, Herb Perry, etc.
I recall that when I checked MLB auctions, many of these were listed as
"Game worn jersey, player #11," etc. The same holds true for Atlanta Braves 1974 throwbacks from the same season. I had a couple of these too... there was a discussion on this board about "player #24." Also, I have had about 4 or 4 of these jerseys as well, of which MLB authentication failed to name the player in about half of the instances. I have also seen instances where MLB authentication has labeled "game issued" jerseys as "game worn" and vice versa.
I think that the system is a very positive thing for our hobby, and I certainly feel comfortable buying items that come with MLB authentication...but it is not a perfect system and could use a tweak or two.

TNTtoys
08-05-2007, 01:12 PM
Also, I have had about 4 or 4 of these jerseys as well

Looks like "authentification" is not the only blooper in this thread!! It's contagious...

TNTtoys
08-05-2007, 01:33 PM
A couple of shots of the 2000 TBC jerseys from M&N, with full date of the game in the jersey tagging.

brianborsch
08-05-2007, 04:49 PM
Wow, the Mitchell and Ness jersey seems to be way better with the date sewn on. I wonder why some teams use AIS for their jerseys. Do the M&N jerseys hold more value than the AIS jerseys?

XPFO
08-05-2007, 04:58 PM
Wow, the Mitchell and Ness jersey seems to be way better with the date sewn on. I wonder why some teams use AIS for their jerseys. Do the M&N jerseys hold more value than the AIS jerseys?

I would say definitley not at all....all depends on the player.

brianborsch
08-05-2007, 05:16 PM
One more question, if you have a Negro league throwback GU jersey from a players rookie year, would it hold as much value as one of their regular GU jerseys because it is more rare? Or would it be less valuable due to it being worn only once?

XPFO
08-05-2007, 05:21 PM
Again...it is based on what someone is willing to pay, however as a guideline for example, Curtis Granderson's Negro League Jersey and Turn Back the Clock Jerseys were being sold at $750 (The TBTC being the complete uniform), while his Set 1 home jersey was $900 and Road jersey $1000.

On the Ball Park Heores website, the TBTC jerseys/one game jerseys Kim has carries a premium.

I would think they are both pretty equal...again it always goes back to what someone will pay.

PudgePollyMillerFan
08-05-2007, 06:11 PM
BrianBorsch........I did not pick up any of the Negro League gamers......looked through them all at the mini expo they had....definately did not wash any of them as several had great wear on them (Polanco, Casey come to mind).........I believe they did wash the TBTC jerseys.....as I purchased the entire Pudge Rodriguez uniform and I have several photomatch pics of him from that game and he has dirt all over his pants from attempting to steal a base....but the pants do not have any of that dirt on them now and I know they are the same pants...so that leads me to believe they at least washed the pants because they shirt has stains on it and dirt/sweat etc......they did not sell the pants with the Negro league gamers as they will be re-using them next year in the same game according to Steve Graus.......You actually beat me to the Butler gamer as Steve said someone called in about 15 minutes before I did.....guess that would be you...lol! Never got a chance to look at it as they shipped it out to you before I got a chance to see if there was any wear on it etc......The Tigers sell all of their one game wonders (TBTC / Negro League etc) at a lower price than the regular season/playoff gamers (Ie I paid $1000 for Pudge's TBTC entire uniform and was offered the home/road from the first half for $1500)........so I would say they are valued definately a little less than the regular season gamers.....plus they don't have the players names on the back of them either (Negro League Gamers)......

brianborsch
08-05-2007, 06:29 PM
hanks for the replies from both of you! PudgePollyMillerFan, I am sorry I snagged it right before you. I have been looking for Billy Butler GU items forever, and I finally found one (at a reasonable price too!) so I snagged it along with Gordon's as they seem inseparable (both rookies and ex-teammates from the minors) like twin children.
I have not gotten them yet so I am not sure how much use they show. Steve was telling me they were unwashed so I was pretty excited about that. I will post pics as soon as I get them.
Thanks again for this discussion. The Tigers seems to have made a success out of this TBTC game.

Brian B

XPFO
08-05-2007, 06:39 PM
My Maggs TBTC jersey is filthy with dirt and pine tar....I posted a pic in the August Pick-ups section...it doesn't show too well, cuz most is on the front, but on the back you can see two clear handprints as well as other marks.

XPFO
08-05-2007, 06:39 PM
Sorry...I don't mean TBTC, I meant Negro League.

PudgePollyMillerFan
08-06-2007, 04:25 PM
Brian B......no problem on snagging the Butler before me...that's what it is all about...first come, first serve....besides....you are probably more excited about it than I would be and so that is good.......it should be unwashed....so I hope ya got one that has some good wear on it! XPFO....nice additions to your collection....I would find the guy who sold you the TBTC Ordonez and get the hat that he has on Ebay as well.....he should have sold that to you with it....I am sure he made some $$ on it and should have included it in the set as it was sold that way by the Tigers.........wish I knew how to post my pics of my pick ups.....I will work on it and see if I can join in the fun.

larry bourget
08-08-2007, 01:52 PM
Nice Stuff everyone, especially Detroit Tigers, on the TBTC Tigers uniform's, not all the players turned in the hats, some kept them for themselves, a lot were missing according to Steve, on some Steve simply included genric hats and told the buyers that. The next time the Tigers play a retro game on the road, Steve plans to go so everything is accounted for right after.

Last night i was in Steve & Mike's Cage, and they have about 20 generic TBTC 77 Style Hats, from size 6 1/8 to 7 1/4, as i was looking for a size 7 3/8 for myself but it was not to be, ......they did have some extra Negro League Hats also. $40 each, i beleive for either.

regards,
Larry

brianborsch
08-08-2007, 02:45 PM
Did they have any of the Monarchs Negro League caps?

brianborsch
08-08-2007, 03:56 PM
I just recieved my package via DHL so I will have pics posted of the Gordon and Butler jerseys soon! I am still trying to locate the official scorecard for the July 21st game to no avail......if anyone knows where I can find it let me know!

Brian B.

larry bourget
08-08-2007, 05:49 PM
Brian, I really don't know if Steve has any MONARCHS Negro League caps, i never really asked, but i never saw any in the open.

Regarding Scorecard for July 21st game,

go to www.detroittigers.com

click on scoreboard ( upper left corner )

where it has on the right top ,....yesterdays games/todays games, click on calender, pick the month, then day and it will go to all the MLB GAMES played on the selected date., find your game, click on wrap, you can print you game out.

regards,
Larry

larry.bourget@sympatico.ca

ham1963
08-08-2007, 08:08 PM
Brian, I asked Steve when I bought my KC jersey if there where any game-used caps that went with the MONARCHS uniforms but he said that they were none. Sorry, but I got one of the Detriot jerseys that came with a cap.,
John:o

XPFO
08-08-2007, 08:13 PM
Hey John,

Who's jersey did you pick-up???

ham1963
08-08-2007, 08:16 PM
I p/u VanSlykes jersey. I remember when he was with the Louisville Redbirds back in the 80's.

John

brianborsch
08-09-2007, 12:09 AM
If you want to see my Alex Gordon and Billy Butler Negro League jerseys see the August Pickups thread. I may have to sell though in the near future. :( We'll see!

MichaelofSF
08-09-2007, 02:19 AM
Brian,
If you want to sell, let me know.
thanks,
Michael
themikechu@aol.com

PudgePollyMillerFan
08-09-2007, 06:59 AM
Brian.....sorry you may have to part ways with your new pickups......I would love a chance to get back that 15 minutes you beat me by when ya picked em up from the Tigers (Steve Graus).....please drop me an email if you still wish to part with the Butler.....cjduffield@cablespeed.com......Thanks!

brianborsch
08-09-2007, 08:13 AM
I will let you all know. I am hesitant because I don't want people to think that I bought them just to sell them. That is not the case. Especially now that I see photos on Getty of Butler and Getty wearing these exact jerseys. That combined with the MLB hologram makes these special simply because they only used these for that one game.
I definitely have never had MLB memorabilia like this before. It's just that my wife is planning a trip to India in March, and me just buying this sets us back a little. So I may try and sell 1 jersey to make up for some of the spending I have done. We'll see. I would like to keep them together as they are both rookies this year.....

PudgePollyMillerFan
08-09-2007, 08:36 AM
Brian....trust me....I know how it is with picking up some items and then have something come up and have to part with em....been there...done that! The offer is still there on the Butler if ya need some cash for the trip......Thanks again and please keep in touch...

MichaelofSF
08-09-2007, 08:03 PM
Well please let me know via email if you do want to sell both the Gordon and Butler or just the Gordon. I am an actual Royals fan and those two players are our future.
thanks,
Michael
themikechu@aol.com

PudgePollyMillerFan
08-10-2007, 06:53 AM
Brian....PLEASE email me when ya can on the Butler...Thanks!
cjduffield@cablespeed.com

brianborsch
08-10-2007, 10:47 AM
I will let you know if I am going to sell. I was thinking of possibly selling the Gordon and keeping the Butler if I needed to as Butler is really the player I like from the Royals. I just got the Gordon because it was available and they are both the top prospects in the organization. But I may keep them as they would display so nicely together and I am sure they will be a great tandem for years to come.

Let me think on it.

Ozric
08-10-2007, 12:28 PM
Hey TNT... Did I read that right? You have a Herbert Perry TBTC jersey. Please let me know if you would be willing to sell it.

Thanks,

Tim

TNTtoys
08-10-2007, 02:32 PM
Hey TNT... Did I read that right? You have a Herbert Perry TBTC jersey. Please let me know if you would be willing to sell it.

Thanks,

Tim

Tim,

Sorry but you didn't read that one right. I stated that I at once had these in my possession... The Herb Perry is long gone, as are most of the others.

Nick

Ozric
08-10-2007, 02:35 PM
Thanks, my bad... Maybe I'll pick another one up on my other post though.

XPFO
08-11-2007, 01:58 PM
I see the Alex Gordon Negro League has made it to e-bay...strange there was no post on here about it???

brianborsch
08-11-2007, 02:39 PM
Hello all,

I meant to post it, but I just put it up before I left the house for volunteer work so I didn't have time to post until I got in now. I am just checking to see if there would be any takers for that price as that would certainly help with paying off what I paid for recent items along with being able to put some money towards a trip my wife is planning.
I doubt it will sell as I don't really want to separate the two jerseys (Butler and Gordon). We shall see....it is a great jersey though.

Brian B.