PDA

View Full Version : bonds jersey's?

lund6771
08-10-2007, 12:19 AM
I've read in articles where Bonds talks about buying jerseys in bulk, directly on his own for a $100 a jersey...I think that it might be safe to assume that since at least 2001 a Bonds jersey should have the "25 authenicated" tag on the tail..he stated that when he hits a HR he signs it that way and puts it away...

if this is the case, why are there so many Bonds jerseys out there without a "25" tag?...By no means am I any sort of expert, but Lampson and Mears obviously know this, so why do they authenticate so many jerseys without this important tag?

kingjammy24
08-14-2007, 02:34 PM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MEARS and the evaluation of Barry Bonds jerseys
August 10 2007 at 12:24 PM Troy R. Kinunen (kinunent@hotmail.com)

A question has been posed to me with respect to how we can offer opinions on Barry Bonds jerseys. As our policy, we offer opinions on all items that we are asked to evaluate. Some opinions are favorable, some non-favorable, and some that offer an opinion to what exactly the item is. For example of the 2001 to present Barry Bonds jerseys, MEARS is aware of the fact that Barry Bonds has offered jerseys direct from his company. These are accompanied by a special Bonds 25 patch. In order to address this procedure, MEARS issues the following statement when evaluating Bonds post 2001 jerseys:

"Jerseys authorized by Barry Bonds are found with the Barry Bonds exclusive tag. To verify Barry Bonds endorsed game used items, see IsItReal@Barrybonds.com . This examined jersey does not have the Barry Bonds exclusive tag. Examination reveals this jersey is found to match the definition of the MEARS A5 grade, as a professional model game issued jersey with noted undocumented wear."

This statement is found in our comment section of each letter and can be viewed by MEARS members. We have similar wording which is used when we evaluate Non Steiner Yankees jerseys.

Sincerely,

Troy R. Kinunen

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

rudy.

lund6771
08-14-2007, 06:58 PM
I think that these should be graded an A-0...

It appears taht Bonds keeps such a close eye on all his stuff that i have a hard believing that that there are sooo many used items without the25 patch

CollectGU
08-15-2007, 08:06 AM
Actually, there are many collectors who question the Bonds Authenticated jerseys because none of them have the extra 2" length designation as was normal for Bonds. Some even think these were simply purchased in bulk signed game worn and sold, and never saw game action.

Regards,
Dave

mvandor
08-15-2007, 11:57 AM
Actually, there are many collectors who question the Bonds Authenticated jerseys because none of them have the extra 2" length designation as was normal for Bonds. Some even think these were simply purchased in bulk signed game worn and sold, and never saw game action.

Regards,
Dave
Barry would do something that illicit and immoral? Nah.:D

lund6771
08-15-2007, 12:39 PM
dave,

that doesn't really surprise me at all that Bonds would do such a thing...that one might be hard to prove, but how the hell do you write a letter on a jersey that doesn't have any of the "25 aunthenticate" stuff with it?

CollectGU
08-15-2007, 01:38 PM
I thought he only did the Bonds authenticated stuff for 1 year - 2001?

David
08-15-2007, 01:45 PM
Remember when Bonds said the uniform and signature on it were not genuine?-- the problem being that it had the Barry Bonds Authenticated hologram and LOA saying it was genuine. MEARS and REA said it lined up with being real, and JSA and PSA/DNA said the signature was real ... The owner said he paid cash for it. It was speculated by some (repeat: only speculation) that Barry hadn't paid the taxes on the cash sale (see: Darryl Strawberry, Duke Snider, etc) and, with tax issues apparently come up, didn't want the sale verified.