PDA

View Full Version : DBacks sell bats at games

whatupyos
08-10-2007, 12:20 AM
Hello All:

I'm in Phoenix for a job fair. I went to the DBacks game tonight. They had a few game used bats for sale. I'm not feeling that well, and I regret not asking how much they were charging for the bats, as I wasn't thinking well. Have a horrible headache. Anyway, they had a Chad Tracy cracked bat, 2 Conor Jackson bats with half the barrell missing on the back due to it being split almost in complete half and a Scott Hairston which was in the same condition as the Jackson bats. If you're in the PHX are, check it out, all they had was the 4. They may get more just thought I'd give y'all a heads up.

Thanks.

Aaron

godwulf
08-10-2007, 11:35 AM
I’ve been collecting DBacks bats since ’98. I used to obtain most of them through a guy I knew in the media who knew several of the bat boys. Prior to the World Series year of ’01, I was paying $20-$100 for the bats, with most in the $25-$75 range. After the Series, the prices for some players climbed, but they were still reasonable.

In ’02 or ’03, the Team Shop at the ballpark starting selling them for charity, and the supply from the bat boys dried up; what bats they still had to sell, they wanted the same prices the Team Shop was charging, which were pretty high – in some cases, ridiculous.

As late as last year, they were still getting a good number of cracked bats from the team, and normally had quite a few for sale. The prices were, of course, directly related to the popularity of the player: a Luis Gonzalez bat, I think, was going for something like $250-$300. Hardly any bats were ever priced at less than a hundred. Still, I’d buy a bat or two there after a game, if I had the money to do it and it was either a player I needed or a particularly nice bat. One night I picked up two Johnny Estrada bats for a hundred each – a BWP-267 with the DBacks brand, and a maple Louisville Slugger that he’d brought with him from Atlanta. Both with tons of use and filthy with pine tar.

For whatever reason, the Team Shop has gotten very few bats from the team this year. Those Conor Jacksons with half the barrel gone have been in there for months. I stop in every week or two, just to see if they’ve gotten anything new in, but they seldom have. I picked up a Jeff Davanon the other day for 75, ‘cause I didn’t have any of his bats, and an Alberto Callaspo for 50, but that’s about all that they’ve had of interest this season. The team has been auctioning three or four bats during every game, at a table out in the entranceway, but they set the beginning bid price fairly high, and a lot of them seem to go unsold. There was a barrel of cracked bats at the Fan Fest back in February, too, come to think, and they were dirt cheap, but it was all stuff I didn’t want or need.

Pinstripes
08-10-2007, 12:11 PM
I'm looking for a Chris Young bat and a Justin Upton bat if either of you come across one.

godwulf
08-10-2007, 01:43 PM
I'm looking for a Chris Young bat and a Justin Upton bat if either of you come across one.

Upton's bats have been a precious commodity since Day One. I've only seen a couple on the market, and the Sellers wanted big money for them. I have hopes of picking one up someday soon, now that he's up with the Diamondbacks, through one of my team contacts, but I suspect that I'll be paying a high price for it.

Young's bats come up fairly often. I bought one a couple of weeks ago for a little over a hundred - a natural Sam bat with an extensive but repairable handle crack.