PDA

View Full Version : The National

batterymates
08-11-2007, 04:56 PM
Hello all,

I don’t post very often, but when I do, I tend to upload pretty lengthy posts. Thought I would hop on to the site and give you my take and experience at this yr’s National in Cleveland. I will try to post and copy and post onto both vintage sites.

Overall, this years National in Cleveland was fantastic. I flew in Tuesday night from California and met my Dad who had come in from Idaho. By the time we grabbed some dinner and checked into our hotel, it was midnight. I brought a small travel bag and a huge empty suitcase ready to fill with new items. The next morning, after working for a few hours in the room, my Dad and I headed downtown to hang out and have some lunch. Mike called and said he was on his way and would meet up at around 1pm. He was driving in from his home in Mich.

Mike showed up and we had about 3 hours till the show was open. We both had already talked to Carlton from Sportsantiques101.com and Carlton mentioned that he had already uploaded photos from the prior day. Carlton was on the scene like a detective from the 30’s or 40’s. Luckily, across the street from where we had lunch was a Starbucks, so after lunch, we walked over to Starbucks and I was able to get online. It was the perfect way to spend the couple hours prior to the opening. We quickly navigated to Carlton’s site and checked out the photos that he had uploaded. I was now super excited to get going. Actually, there was one photo of a trophy that I knew I was going to buy. While the photos had no text as to who’s booth the photo was, I knew it was Hunts booth. His booth has the same look every year. The trophy was a Goldsmith Trophy presented in 1931.

It was pretty cool standing in line waiting to get in. I looked around at all the collectors, listening to their conversations and thought, wow, what a cool hobby. Here were hundreds of guys (mostly card collectors) many of whom had flown in from around the nation waiting with excitement to get in to search and buy. I have attended the last 12 years or so and still love the feeling as the floodgates open up.

A really cool thing for me was attending this yrs show with my Dad. I had posted a few months back as to how I got into this the vintage sports memorabilia hobby and had written that as a baseball card collector, my Dad had taken me to the National in ’84 or ’85. It was really neat, because this year, the show had a display of the history of collecting – old newsletters, the first ed. of SCD, etc. Well, in this display, there was a broadside from the National we attended in Los Angeles and it was from 1980. It was so cool to think back and remember my first National. Cooler yet, was the fact the1980 show was the very 1st National!!! Here it was, 28 years later, and I was with my Dad again at the show. Very cool.

Is the National still the place to find tons of great stuff? Well, its not was it used to be, there is no doubt. However, the National is both important and necessary for our hobby. And it’s interesting, because there truly is still great stuff. I know that Mike, my Dad, Carlton and myself all made great purchases. Remind me to tell you how Mike found the Schraffts piece another time…The best part of the show is seeing people that you have known for years and catching up with them. There are really some cool people that sell in our hobby - Jane and Darla, Dick Hines, John Ross, Bushing, Tony B, Chris and Herb, John K, John O to name a few. I still wish that Cory and McCann would set up like they used to.

Living in California, it’s always been bittersweet having the show in my back yard every couple years. It’s been nice because travel expenses are zero, however, we don’t see near the amount of vintage dealers. News from the show is that California is now out of the circuit. From what I was told, the show will rotate between Chicago and Cleveland. After talking to a few friends and dealers, we all agreed that we wish that the show would just be held in Chicago every year. No offensive to any of you who might live in Cleveland, but Chicago is such a better host city. Plus, its just easier to get to.I actually think its great that the show isn’t here any longer. I would rather know that there are more dealers selling vintage advertising, vintage equipment and such.

Hopefully the pictures of the items I bought upload correctly. I think I came home with 10 or so items. Every year, I purchase what I call “the national piece”. When I look in my sports room, its fun to equate a particular piece with a certain years show. Past “national pieces” include a Spalding Trophy, a Spalding porcelain sign, and a huge Favorite Tobacco sign. This year’s piece has a story. The very first item I ever bid on Ebay several years back was a super vintage Goldsmith Sporting Goods pennant. I was the high bidder with 10 seconds left at $300 and sat speechless when I saw I lost out. The winner bidder paid $1200. Being new to Ebay, I just couldn’t believe it. Today, when I lose on Ebay, I never get bummed no matter what it is I lose out on. But losing that pennant REALLY bummed me out. Imagine my surprise when that same pennant was staring right out me – for sale from Bushing. I had this years “national piece”. I have decided to frame the pennant….I picked it up today and am pleased with the frame job. I also came home with a great Goldsmith Trophy, a Reach bat, a nice ring bat, an empty Spalding ball box, a D&M catalog, a killer photo, a football broadside, and a great mask. I also purchased a great Rugby ball. The bats wont arrive until next week. The one item I was really hoping to get was another vintage jersey from the teens. There were very few uniforms however. You didn’t miss out Joe!

Looking forward to Carlton’s report on his site. Just a preview to his report, there were great trophies (many way overpriced) at the show. John K had some insane early bats. Sothebys had two Spalding figurals. Really enjoyed Herb and Chris’s booth. They had great stuff at really great prices. The was a great Babe Ruth D&M. You will see it for soon since one of the main dealers in out hobby it. I will try and get my Dad to forward me a picture of the oval, bubbled glass photo he purchased and upload it. It is a really cool piece.

Can’t wait until next year.

kjjavic
08-12-2007, 07:26 AM
Fabulous post and great pickups.
The football broadside is a neat item. I have a good friend who grew up in Lehighton and obviously Mauck Chunk was renamed after Jim Thorpe.

Could you post a photo of the rugby ball? How old is it?

thanks much
KJ

mjkm90
08-12-2007, 07:41 PM
Fantastic frame job Ryan. That pennant is amazing. I'm glad I was there when you purchased it.:D

cincy13
08-26-2007, 04:36 PM
Hi Ryan,
It's always a pleasure seeing you, I love your energy! Hopefully we will be there next year.

take care,
Darla