Double Ear Flaps for early 1980's Batting Helmets?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SSB15
    • Nov 2005

Double Ear Flaps for early 1980's Batting Helmets?

Has anyone ever seen a photograph of a major league player from the early 1980's using a batting helmet with 2 ear Flaps?
  • metsbats
    • Nov 2005

Re: Double Ear Flaps for early 1980's Batting Helmets?

As a Met fan during the 80's these two gentlemen were the most prolific wearers of double flap helmets.

David
    Attached Files
    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Comment

• 33bird
      Banned
      • Nov 2005

If you were referring to the George Foster helmet on ebay, I would stay away. I searched and searched and couldn't find him wearing a 2 flap helmet anywhere. Maybe somebody else would have better luck, but I couldn't find even one.
      Greg

Comment

• R. C. Walker
        • Nov 2005

I do not have photographic evidence at this time, Steve Garvey (Dodgers) and George Foster (Reds) have worn double flapped helmets at one point during their career.

I am not claiming that the one on ebay is authentic or not.
        R. C. Walker
        sigpic

treborreklaw@hotmail.com

Comment

• 33bird
          Banned
          • Nov 2005

I'll need some proof of this for George Foster. I went thru every photo on gettys, corbis, yahoo images, every ebay item, and all my Reds books and couldn't find ONE photo of him in double flaps. I'm not saying it wasn't done, but I'll need at least one photo showing him wearing a full helmet with the 2 flaps.
          Greg

Comment

• metsbats
            • Nov 2005

The only players who would need a double flapped helmet would be switch hitters like Coleman and McGee. Foster was a right handed batter and would not have a need for a double flapped helmet.

David
            metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Comment

• R. C. Walker
              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by 33bird
              I'll need some proof of this for George Foster. I went thru every photo on gettys, corbis, yahoo images, every ebay item, and all my Reds books and couldn't find ONE photo of him in double flaps. I'm not saying it wasn't done, but I'll need at least one photo showing him wearing a full helmet with the 2 flaps.
              Greg
              I am going on memory and understand that provides no proof. Unfortunately, the auction will end before anyone finds a photo. He only wore it for a few months as I recall and I don’t know the circumstances on why he did. This has my curiosity up. I’ll keep looking.

Originally posted by metsbats
              The only players who would need a double flapped helmet would be switch hitters like Coleman and McGee. Foster was a right handed batter and would not have a need for a double flapped helmet.

David
              A very simplistic theory. I have provided a photo of Garvey with a double flap helmet. I was going on memory and decided to have a little fun. Found the photo. Don't believe Steve was a switch hitter? I don’t know the circumstances on why he decided to go with the double flaps. He also did for a short period of time in the early ’80’s.
              Attached Files
              R. C. Walker
              sigpic

treborreklaw@hotmail.com

Comment

• metsbats
                • Nov 2005

R.C.

Nice photo find. You are correct Garvey was not a switch hitter. One can only imagine why he would be wearing a double flapped helmet.

David
                metsbats86@aol.com

Comment

• metsbats
                  • Nov 2005

Here's an article in UniWatch regarding players using double flapped helmets particularily non-switch hitters. No mention of anyone offering evidence Foster was included though they may not been able to find any proof.

Everything you ever wanted to know about batting gloves, and the players who use them. As for those who don't -- haven't we heard enough?

David
                  metsbats86@aol.com

Comment

• metsbats
                    • Nov 2005

Originally posted by metsbats
                    Here's an article in UniWatch regarding players using double flapped helmets particularily non-switch hitters. No mention of anyone offering evidence Foster was included though they may not been able to find any proof.

Everything you ever wanted to know about batting gloves, and the players who use them. As for those who don't -- haven't we heard enough?

David

This page is from ESPN Uniform-alities and not UniWatch as i orginally indicated.
                    metsbats86@aol.com

Comment

Working...