PDA

View Full Version : Question about ABC batting helmets

skipcareyisfat
08-13-2007, 02:49 PM
Does anyone know for sure when ABC went from embossing their company logo on the backs of helmets to applying it on a sticker? I'm thinking it was around 1990, but I'm not sure.

Also, does anyone recall flapless pro models being sold in sporting goods stores sometime in the early 90s? I remember seeing them in stores and at the 1992 National in Atlanta. They were packaged in colorful boxes that had an opening in the front, which exposed the front of the helmet. If anyone has a photo of one of these, would you please post a picture of the back and inside?

Thanks,

Jason

hiramman
08-13-2007, 10:35 PM
Jason,

What kind of Sherlock Holmes work are you up to?

Jimmie

skipcareyisfat
08-14-2007, 11:09 AM
Hey, Jimmie,
That's funny. I do have something in mind actually. I'd love to have these answers in the next couple of weeks. I might have to bump this thread one or two more times. I'll keep you posted. Dropping by BP this weekend?
-Jason

hiramman
08-14-2007, 03:27 PM
I'm not sure. Depends on what plans the boss has for me Saturday. Keep me updated on the helmet info. Now I'm interested.

kingjammy24
08-14-2007, 04:14 PM
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=7967

rudy.

skipcareyisfat
08-14-2007, 04:30 PM
Outstanding. Thanks much, Rudy. I completely forgot about that thread.

Still looking for photos of the back and inside of one of those non team issued, early 90s flapless MLB model helmets. Thanks.

For future reference:

I have quite a few older Phillies helmets used through 1987. All have the logo embossed-no stickers.

Howard Wolf

i am not an expert but this is what i have figured out according to what i have. ABC introduced the logo sometime in the early 70's. now, helmets from this period (photo1) had the logo embossed or molded in during the manufacture process. the earliest helmet i have seen with this logo is a pirates from the 71-75 period. the oldest one i have is from 79.

this style lasted to sometime between 89 and 90 when they intoduced the sticker logo that was die cut like the one on your helmet. in the mid 90's, (photo2) they changed again to a square cut logo, which is easier to produce and more cost effective. i have a helmet from 98 with the square sticker. they also had (photo3) a one piece sticker that had the abc and mlb logos on it.

sometime between the late 90's and early 00's, ABC (photo4) changed the logo again to a cheap oval shape with a big A in the middle. and that is how it remained until rawlings bought them out in i believe 04. anyone else want to add more accurate info please feel free to do so as it will help me too.