Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: What do you look for when buying a game used bat?

When I started collecting, I wanted uncracked bats.

Soon, I realized that cracked bats pretty much ensured game use, or at least a dugout tirade involving a water cooler or a toilet!

Jim

does anyone have a LOA from lou lampson showing a bat with appropriate water cooler usage or offical jacobs field toilet marks?

i can see it now

1995 m110 albert 'joey' belle louisville slugger bat shows very light ball marks but appropriate toilet smash marks typical of disgruntled outfielder.

just having a little fun

take care
    john

jonincleve@sbcglobal.net

Banned

You guys are nutty if you think cracked bats are the real deal and uncracked aren't. Here's the thing-especially nowadays-the players get a ton of bats. Everybody connected to the player (team workers, friends, etc.) know that game used bats are worth money. You just know these people are asking or just taking these bats and other game used items from the players whenever possible. I know if I worked for a team I'd be asking every player-can I have that or do you need that anymore? Players, for the most part, are a very superstitious lot, and they may stay with bat while hot, but on the flipside disregard (uncracked bats) because they don't seem to have any hits in them. Anyway, I just think there are a lot of good game used bats out there that aren't cracked. I'd much rather have a good used uncracked bat then one that has a nasty crack in it. I think most collectors prefer uncracked bats. I've had many potential buyers NOT want a bat at all if it has any cracks, but I've NEVER had one say, "Oh, it's got to be cracked-so I'll pass." I think the proof in the pudding is that most of the big time bat dealers-Ball Park Heroes, John Taube, etc. will fix most of their bats before selling them. They KNOW better than us what the majority of collectors are looking for. To each his own I know, but that's just my 2 cents. Plus, who doesn't like to swing their gamers once in a while without it falling apart?
    Greg

I am with you Greg! If you do your research you will see that a lot of uncracked bats are legit. Players have friends whom they give bats to, and even sell their bats because they know people want them. People can fake cracks, if they can fake major league usage (good ball marks/deep seam marks, and appropriate pine tar).

Banned

Yea, I can kindof see both sides, but I wouldn't want a game used jersey with a big rip or tear in it. That's how I see a game used bat-flawed if broken. Used but flawed. Mears will even minus points if a bat is cracked or has a missing piece, etc. I don't think you have to SETTLE for cracked game used bats just because you're are surer of the use. I think if you do your homework on player's bat traits and know who you are buying from, then you can find very nice uncracked gamers. Again, just my 2 cents.
    Greg