Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question on Frank Grube 1930's Spalding Pants

I was wondering if anyone had any information that can add.
    Does the tagging help narrow down the years?
    Is the 35 and 36 the year or sizes?
    I believe these are Cubs Pants

let me know if you have any more info you can add
    thanks
    tom

Re: Question on Frank Grube 1930's Spalding Pants

Frank Grube wore # 35 for the 1935-36 White Sox.

My guess would be that "Grube 35" indicates his uniform number and "36" indicates the year.

I could be wrong but I dont think size info was really an issue back then.

Jim

Add to that the fact that Grube only played 9 games for the '35 Sox after coming over from the Browns. Most likely they didnt specifically make a pair of pants for him that year. My guess would be that he made the '36 team out of spring training when he appeared in 33 games.

Luke Sewell was the #1 catcher and Grube was second with Merv Shea being the 3rd. Look for wear around the knees and I'm sure you will see use from catching.

One more thing - I believe those pants are from an away uniform.

ok, so I'm just bored at home and now I'm hijacking your thread with info...sorry.

Anyway, see how the "36" is chain stitched together? That would probably mean that those numbers were a pattern, thus used on all 1936 pants. Note that the "35" are seperate numbers since they had to be sewn on individually depending on what number the person wore.

oh yeah, also...here's a pic of the "36 Sox. Grube is in the top row, 2nd from the left. Kind of a short fella! Note that the bat boys are still wearing the '35 uniforms and the players are wearing the new style for '36. Ok, I'll let someone else get a word in now.

wow! hijack my thread all day with info...i really appreciate the help

everything you said seems very logical and correct.

and if you get even more bored, and are able to find a pic of him wearing these pants

thanks again. this was sort of my first "vintage" game used item and got it because it seemed pretty cool to me

one more question, in that team pic you posted, is his uniform different than the rest of the team. i dont see the striping on the front of the jersey

I see what you mean.

That picture was found on the internet and it identified that person as him. Perhaps I read it wrong. He is wearing the '35 uniform there. Maybe they just gave him that for photo shoot?

Anyway, were these pants an ebay purchase? Care to share what you paid for them?

They are beautiful. I would find one of those lower half mannequins somewhere and buy one to display those. Neat stuff!

Found this on another site - This claims to also be the '36 Sox but the uniforms are the earlier variety. http://www.thedeadballera.com/TeamPh...6WhiteSox.html

Someone is wrong, could be me.....

I picked them up for $185 shipped. Not really sure how I did on the price, but I thought it was a different piece. let me know if you have any opinions on that

I appreciate all your help

here is something that i found, but you may already have saw it
    uniforms according to the baseball hof

1935 Cubs

1936 Cubs

in the pic you linked, listed as the 1936, that appears to be the 1935 cubs uniform..so who knows