Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Banned

Re: eBay Jordan 1994 Sox Jersey

I have found that the one person who knows more about Chicago White Sox jerseys over their history than anyone would be Dave Miedema. You can email him at sox83cubs84@hotmail.com as he knows more about their tagging history than anyone I have ever dealt with.

Last year when I bought about 50 White Sox gamers from a former executive, Dave was more than helpful with his help in identifying the jerseys manufactures, tags and specifics.

I have no opinion on the Michael Jordan jersey in question, but even if the jersey was never worn, I would assume the team made up some jerseys for him hoping he would appear in a MLB game that season. That would make sense.

Banned

Re: Ebay Jordan 1994 Sox Jersey

I've communicated for years with Dave Miedema, and we discussed this particular jersey today.

I am fortunate enough to own Jordan's 1994 pre-game jersey, and the tagging is shown below.

Name:  Dscf2356.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  38.5 KB

Although my jersey is a Russell, it's hard to believe Jordan could wear a size 44 in any brand for the 1994 season.

Based on known White Sox gamers, Dave said "no way" to the shirt in question, simply based on the size 44.

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net

see this post:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_f...14&postcount=3

for spring training 1994, the sox placed an order, for jordan, for 2 home jerseys. 46+2. the order sheet also specified that the MLB 125 patch be added to all jerseys. in 94 then, the white ordered and presumably received two 46+2, #45, jordan home jerseys with the 125 patch. i wonder whatever happened to them.

the tagging on howard's black alt is consistent with the format shown on the white sox russell order sheet.

for most of the 90s, the sox used both wilson and russell for their home, road, and alt jerseys. players wore whatever they felt like. in a single game, you'd have half the team in russell and the other have in wilson.

mike: on 1994 baseball gamers, what distinguishes a retail wilson tag from a pro wilson tag?

rudy.

Rudy,
    Since the style of Wilson tag on the Jordan jersey didn't match the correct Wilson tag for that era, I was making an educated guess.

What's your opinion on the Jordan Wilson tag? The White Sox hadn't used any type of collar tag since 1981 and the Jordan Wilson tag doesn't look like a pro jersey tag.

Mike

Does anyone have any information about the Beckett cover with Jordan wearing the #23 white home pinstripe Russell jersey?

Mark Hayne
    Gridiron Exchange
    gixc@verizon.net

Quote Originally Posted by karamaxjoe View Post
    Rudy,
    Since the style of Wilson tag on the Jordan jersey didn't match the correct Wilson tag for that era, I was making an educated guess.

What's your opinion on the Jordan Wilson tag? The White Sox hadn't used any type of collar tag since 1981 and the Jordan Wilson tag doesn't look like a pro jersey tag.

Mike
    i think the wilson tag is appropriate for the era. whether it's appropriate for the white sox is another matter. long story short, wilson used different styles of pro tags simultaneously.
    long story: in the early-mid 90s, wilson supplied the white sox and the blue jays. for the jays, wilson had always put the tag in the collar (except for 1990). for the white sox, it seems wilson typically put it on the body. some time around '86, wilson came up with the "prestige teams" tag. they used the "prestige teams" label for their 80s yankees jerseys as well as the early-mid 90s white sox jerseys and 80s-90s braves jerseys.
    at the same time, wilson was also using another style of tag on their 1988+ blue jays jerseys - the "plastic" style seen on the ebay jordan home white jersey. wilson used the "prestige teams" label on white sox and yankees jerseys and the "plastic" style on blue jays. post 1986, i believe the yankees jerseys never saw the plastic wilson tag and the jays never saw the "prestige teams" tag.
    in my experience, the correct style of wilson tag for early-mid 90s white sox gamers would be the "prestige teams" style of tag.
    i don't believe the tag seen on the ebay home white jersey is a retail tag as it was used on blue jays gamers. in 1994, when wilson was supplying both the jays and the white sox, here's what gamers from each team looked like (notice the embroidery is identical):

both styles of wilson tags are pro tags and both are appropriate for the era. the real question is whether a 1994 white sox gamer should be tagged in the collar and whether the tag should be a plastic tag or a "prestige teams" tag. personally, if i were shopping for a '94 whitesox gamer, i'd want a "prestige teams" tag sewn in the body.

rudy.

Rudy,
    Thanks for your input. I can add that I've never seen the "plastic" Wilson tag on a White Sox jersey. Also, I would personally stay away from any White Sox jersey tagged in the collar after 1981.

I can't say I've seen too many of those plastic tags and I had to check a couple old catalogs to find one. Mid 90s Jays jerseys are few and far between.

How does the "plastic" tag fit into the primer you created some time ago. I guess it's safe to say there's always some kind of exception to the rule.

Mike

Am I hallucinating, or does the "5" on both the front and the back look to be a brighter white than the "4"? Anyone else see it?
    SCOTT
    scottjrepking at gmail.com

Always looking for game used bats from Andre Dawson, Ryne Sandberg, Mark Grace, Jody Davis, Shawon Dunston, Jerome Walton, Rick Sutcliffe, and Greg Maddux. Preferably CUBS era bats.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by karamaxjoe View Post
    Rudy,
    Thanks for your input. I can add that I've never seen the "plastic" Wilson tag on a White Sox jersey. Also, I would personally stay away from any White Sox jersey tagged in the collar after 1981.

I can't say I've seen too many of those plastic tags and I had to check a couple old catalogs to find one. Mid 90s Jays jerseys are few and far between.

How does the "plastic" tag fit into the primer you created some time ago. I guess it's safe to say there's always some kind of exception to the rule.

Mike
    when i did the primer, i specified that it was for jerseys tagged in the body because i knew that those tagged in the collar differed. in terms of the primer, i suppose if you were to include jerseys tagged in the collar into it, then you'd simply incorporate the concurrent use of the plastic tag from 1988-1994 and a collar "flag tag" style of tag from 1995-1999 (see below), in addition to the body tags used during those years.

it's true that most of wilson's MLB offerings in the late 80s-90s were tagged in the body and therefore used the "prestige teams" label. the jays seem to be a bit of an anomaly in that case. i've never seen a "prestige teams" label in the collar.

re: wilson retail jerseys from the late-80s-90s
    i don't remember wilson really have a strong or even decent retail MLB offering during those years. if a team was supplied by wilson during those years and you wanted one of their retail jerseys, then you'd most likely only be able to find a russell. russell made retail jerseys for teams they had no pro contract for.

anyway, here's a wilson primer for jays jerseys. i should shed on some insight on this whole issue. check out the 1995-1999 collar tag. there's another new one for you. for other teams during '95-99, wilson probably just used the "prestige teams" label.

rudy.