Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Hybrid View

Re: I finally got one!

The concensus from Net 54 is that its a repro. I've emailed the seller asking for clarification.

Luckily I havent sent any money yet.

Thanks
    Jim

Here is his reply:

We bought it and many other similar type items in Louisville at an Antique show last December. We have sold numerous items from that collection without any questions regarding authenticity. We are not experts on every item ever produced,no one is and i suspect neither are your few friends. For someone to look at a picture and somehow feel an item is a modern reproduction has to be extremely gifted. We purchased the item as original, it looks original, it feels original, thats all i can tell you. If you are uncomfortable with that let me know.

Don't pay them and file with eBay. If you have paid, file with Paypal and get your money back...both will back you. Even if they didn't know what it was, which is a lie, it turned out to be a forgery. They can't sell a bogus item. Just like if you try to pass a bogus $100 bill...even if you didn't know it was fake, it's still your problem. I think it was the same seller who sold the Matty fans for $50. I think I've seen one in the past 15 years and then 30 have popped up in the past 6 months. If it were legit, I guarantee it would end up in Robert Edward. That must be one hell of a flea market or whatever they claim. I'm sure they also found the original copy of the Declaration of Independence there for $10 and maybe Van Gogh for $35.95

I havent paid him and dont intend to, although he did send me an invoice after I told him that it was a repro.

This guy has been peddling these repros for a very long time. His descriptions are very carefully written to give you the sense that it is an authentic but never states it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Babe-Ruth-Louisv...QQcmdZViewItem

Here is his neutral and negs.

http://toolhaus.org/cgi-bin/negs?Use...ed+by&ref=home
    Wanted: Minnesota Twins throwback or special event jerseys.

This seller is one to avoid...He cuts full page ads from old publications (such as The Sporting News) and advertises them as displays & signs.

This LS repro sign falls under the "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is." Believe me this guy is savy enough that if he had a real one he certainly would sell it for a lot more than $99 "Buy It Now."