Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vintagedeputy
    • Oct 2005

Re: September pick-ups

My Mark Grace bat arrived today! More photos shown earlier in this thread. It is gorgeous. Grace was always one of my favorites. Bat has at least 7 ball marks that I found plus numerous bat rack marks as well as pine tar on the handle so thick that it looks like chocolate. Its from Grace's last season, 2003. The seller said that he got it from Scott Service, a pitcher who was Grace's teammate in 2003. You just wouldnt believe what I paid for this little beauty!

Comment

• gameused
      • Nov 2005

Just got this in today, Manny Ramirez 2006 game used Marucci bat pounded with deep seam marks, pine tar and weighted donut impression, bats shows typical Manny use characteristics.

Found a style match on getty from 7/24/06 vs Oakland A's.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Vintagedeputy
        • Oct 2005

gameused - I'm not a big Manny fan, but that black and red bat is a beauty!

Comment

• AstrosCollector
          Banned
          • Feb 2007

Hello All!

What has been a pretty busy couple months, has started to come to crawl. Here are the Astros bats that I have picked up over the last month or two:

Group 1: Mike Simms, Craig Shipley, Andujar Cedeno, John Cangelosi, Milt Thompson.

Group 2: Javier Ortiz, Ryan Thompson, Rick Parker, Alan Zinter, Andy Stankewicz.

Group 3: Eric Yelding, Chris Tremie, David Rhode, Chris Jones, Pete Incaviglia.

Group 4: Aubrey Huff, Sean Berry, Stan Javier, Mark McLemore, Scooter Tucker.

Group 5: Phil Plantier, Mike Magnante, Vinny Castilla, Derrick May, Tim Bogar.

Group 6: Daryle Ward, Orlando Merced, Hector Gimenez, Ernest Riles, Chris Truby.

Group 7: Todd Self, Derek Bell, J.R. House, Chris Donnels, Ray Montgomery.

Group 8: Humberto Quintero, Rafael Ramirez, Terry McGriff, David Matranga, Julio Lugo, Alex Diaz.

Group 9: Juan Guerrreo, Tripp Cromer, Tripp Cromer, Glenn Barker, Scott Servais.

Group 10: Orlando Palmeiro, J.R. Phillips, Jack Howell, Thomas Howard, Carlos Hernandez.

Group 11: Dave Clark, Paul Bako, Jose Tolentino, Alejandro Trevino, Jerry Goff.

Group 12: Geoff Blum, Gerald Young, Jim Lindeman, Casey Candaele, Keith Ginter.

Now if I can just get it to pick back up again! Happy Collecting!

Andy

Comment

• Vintagedeputy
            • Oct 2005

Astroscollector - what? No Jim Pankovits?

Comment

• godwulf
              • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Vintagedeputy
              My Mark Grace bat arrived today! More photos shown earlier in this thread. It is gorgeous. Grace was always one of my favorites. Bat has at least 7 ball marks that I found plus numerous bat rack marks as well as pine tar on the handle so thick that it looks like chocolate. Its from Grace's last season, 2003. The seller said that he got it from Scott Service, a pitcher who was Grace's teammate in 2003. You just wouldnt believe what I paid for this little beauty!
              I've managed to collect four of Mark's Diamondbacks bats, and gotten them signed - two from '01, and one each from '02 and '03. One of the '01 bats is a much-used post-season bat ('MG 01' on the knob) for which I paid a pretty penny; the others were in the 200-300 $ range.

Ironically, a Scott Service DBacks bat is one of the things I'm looking for. I've got one of his Reds bats, but that's as close as I've been able to come.
              Jeff
              godwulf1@cox.net

Comment

• godwulf
                • Aug 2007

Somewhat stretching the definition of "game-used" perhaps... ...nevertheless, I couldn't resist this one.

"Authentic game worn SARAH SILVERMAN jersey from the 2004 Taco Bell legends and Celebrities Softball game that was held All Star Weekend in Houston, TX."

(Sarah Silverman not included...)
                Jeff
                godwulf1@cox.net

Comment

• Birdbats
                  • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Birdbats
                  I was fortunate to pick up a Rick Ankiel game-used bat from the Cardinals Authentics Store at the stadium. As you probably know, Rick debuted as an outfielder on 8/9 after a career as a pitcher (and a long, improbable climb back through the minors, which was hampered by injury). Rick hit a HR that first game and then hit two more on 8/11 on a nationally televised game. Based on the handle tape pattern, I think my bat may be the one he used in those games.
                  Was at Busch Stadium last Friday and saw the new Cardinals Gameday magazine had a photo of Ankiel on the cover hitting the HR in his comeback game. I purchased it and brought it home to compare to my bat. Not only does the tape pattern match, but other consistent characteristics (ball marks, ink transfer, weight ring, etc.) also are obvious. I think I can now say with certainty that I have THE bat he used that day.

Jeff Scott
                  birdbats@charter.net
                  http://www.birdbats.com

Comment

• Vintagedeputy
                    • Oct 2005

Originally posted by godwulf
                    I've managed to collect four of Mark's Diamondbacks bats, and gotten them signed - two from '01, and one each from '02 and '03. One of the '01 bats is a much-used post-season bat ('MG 01' on the knob) for which I paid a pretty penny; the others were in the 200-300 $ range.

Ironically, a Scott Service DBacks bat is one of the things I'm looking for. I've got one of his Reds bats, but that's as close as I've been able to come.

godwulf - Grace has always been one of my favorites. I dont mind telling you that I was a little nervous on this purchase. The seller was a non collector from Ohio. He was verrrrryyyyy slooooow at returning emails. We made a verbal agreement and I waited and waited to finalize it. What do you think a bat like this would go for? I'll tell you know that I bought it for the grand total of $50 plus shipping.

As for Service, I just mailed him a letter asking him about the bat since the seller said that he got it from Service. I'll let you know what he says if he replies.

Jim

Comment

• AstrosCollector
                      Banned
                      • Feb 2007

Astroscollector - what? No Jim Pankovits?

Vintage - no Panky in the collection - he is not one of the guys that I need. Collecting 1990-present.

Comment

• Vintagedeputy
                        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by AstrosCollector
                        Vintage - no Panky in the collection - he is not one of the guys that I need. Collecting 1990-present.
                        haha, I was just kidding about him since he lives about 5 minutes from me.

Comment

• godwulf
                          • Aug 2007

What do you think a bat like this would go for? I'll tell you know that I bought it for the grand total of $50 plus shipping.
                          A great deal, no doubt! Right now, a bat like that would probably find a buyer in the $125-150 range...on eBay, anyway...I'm not really all that familiar with any other sales venue, to be honest.

Gracie's Cubs bats seem to fetch more - maybe even double that - despite there actually being a lot more of his Cubs bats than DBacks bats out there, just because of the Grace-Chicago identification factor.
                          Jeff
                          godwulf1@cox.net

Comment

• Vintagedeputy
                            • Oct 2005

godwulf - yeah thats about how much I figured. This bat was originally on ebay and the seller had one lousy pic. It had no bites for a few days so I contacted him and just threw a number at him and he went for it. I was kind of surprised. I figured that it would sell for at least double that. Its got some great use and that pine tar looks like a melted chocolate bar. Its a high batch number so I know it was probably one of the last ones he used.

Thanks!
                            Jim

Comment

• gameused
                              • Nov 2005

gameused - I'm not a big Manny fan, but that black and red bat is a beauty!
                              Jim,

I agree great color combo, hope to find a photo or video match soon.

Thanks, Bobby

Comment

• gameused
                                • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Birdbats
                                Was at Busch Stadium last Friday and saw the new Cardinals Gameday magazine had a photo of Ankiel on the cover hitting the HR in his comeback game. I purchased it and brought it home to compare to my bat. Not only does the tape pattern match, but other consistent characteristics (ball marks, ink transfer, weight ring, etc.) also are obvious. I think I can now say with certainty that I have THE bat he used that day.

Jeff,

Nice bat & photo match! I give Ankiel a lot of credit, his career was over as a pitcher but he never gave up and got back to the big leagues as an outfielder and he can hit too!

Bobby

Comment

Working...