Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hall of Fame di Springfield ERROR?

just received this pic from the basketball hall of fame...... in my opinion Mc Hale used CONVERSE in 1986......
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: Hall of Fame di Springfield ERROR?

The placard says it is from the 1986 Finals, which would be from the 1985-86 season. Part of the '86 Finals is on youtube...haven't had time to watch. Maybe we can get a volunteer researcher? Someone may have the SI handy?

i found this pic...

Well, he's wearing Converse in this photo.

Would he really wear two different brands? Was he under Contract with Converse at that time?

Back in 1983, the 76ers played some pre-season exhibition games up in Canada. Dr. J.'s gear never showed up, so he had no uniform and no shoes. They found a pair of basketball shoes in his size, but they weren't Converse. He only made a brief appearance in that game and made sure the logos on the shoes were covered in tape. I have a photo of him seated on the sideline and he's got a towel covering his shoes completely. This was for a pre-season game in Alberta, Canada with no television coverage. The next game, in Winnipeg, he sat out...much to my chagrin.

the full picture from the hall of fame..

Banned

Look at how beat up that shoe is?? I know the Celtics (this started from RED down) were particular about the shoes looking good or new while on the playing floor. I've never seen Mchale wear Adidas either. Knowing Mchale he's the one who sent it to them and now laughs everytime someone admires that shoe that he found in his closet and weeded his garden in at one time.
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by 33bird View Post
    Knowing Mchale he's the one who sent it to them and now laughs everytime someone admires that shoe that he found in his closet and weeded his garden in at one time.

the shoe seems to be a gift from Gene Conley....
    curious to know if is he the
    Gene Conley
    Born: Nov. 10, 1930 that
    played for World Series and NBA champions with Milwaukee Braves (1957) and Boston Celtics (1959-61); winning pitcher in 1954 All-Star Game; 91-96 record in 11 seasons.

I can only find photos of McHale wearing Converse during the 86 Finals. Do you think the HOF takes the word of the donator? Is there some odd story about McHale losing his shoes then wearing an extra pair from Parish? They are specifically identified as being worn in a certain game. I would like to know for curiosity's sake.
    Has anyone seen an item in ANY of the Halls-of-Fame, that they thought was questionable?

Hall of Fames are far from perfect. Last fall while visiting the HOF gift store in Cooperstown, I noted that they were selling a poster depicting/describing Roger Maris' 61st HR in 1961, however it was actually a photograph of Maris hitting #60 vs. Baltimore a few nights earlier. I wrote them a nice letter in detail explaining my reasoning, they subsequently wrote back & acknowledged the error; however when I was back in July, no changes had been made..I suppose ignorance is bliss!