Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Red Sox 1970's jersey

Quote Originally Posted by ryan4fregosi
    Lotta misinformation here. Let me see if I can clear things up:

The Red Sox wore the Massachusetts Bicentennial patches in 1975, not '76, and only on the regular-season home jerseys.

(I learned this the hard way, after I let a patch-free '75 Cecil Cooper roadie go for pennies. Groan.)

http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/view...8541-5183&sp=1
    OK, stand corrected about the year. However, I wonder whether every 1975 home jersey had the patch, as a look at the 1975 Topps team baseball card, as well as those of Yaz and Fisk, show home jerseys with no patch. I should also add that I have two very well-worn 1975 home jerseys that show no sign of ever having had a patch. Perhaps this patch was only worn part of the season?

Robert

Banned

Bob, I'd like to add to that statement. The Red Sox also wore the Massachusetts Bicentennial patch on their 1975 road jerseys. Check out the July 12, 1975 issue of "The Sporting News". It shows Fred Lynn wearing a jersey with the centennial patch clearly visable. Since "Boston" is across the breast of the jersey, I would assume that Lynn is wearing a road jersey.

If that issue is not readily available, check out eBay auction 8757928930.

Jim

The Sox wore them first for Opening Day at home because I have seen pix of Tony Conigliaro wearing his #25 jersey with the patch on the sleeve. The Sox did not wear the patch for the World Series, however. Not sure if the team wore the patches for the entire regular season, home and road, tho.