Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What Deal Makes You Feel Sick?

If you've been around this hobby long enough and have seen the prices of game used equipment fluctuate like it has, there must be at least one deal, one trade, one sale, one purchase that makes you wish you could do it all over again. I have several actually, but wondered if anyone out there has a nauseating tale to tell. C'mon, it's good therapy to get it off your chest.

Banned

Re: What Deal Makes You Feel Sick?

Back in 1987, I developed an amazing connection for Chicago Bulls equipment. I obtained at least 6 Jordan game used jerseys, and sold all of them except one. I held onto his 1988 road jersey and trunks, however, had an offer in 1990 that I could not refuse. Considering I had a great source, I knew I would have additional Jordan game jerseys and shorts in the near future. After taking $2,500 for the set, my connection never obtained another Jordan jersey, only a few Pippens, Paxsons and commons. I only have a Jordan road shooting shirt from 1988 in my collection, and every time I look at it, I want to throw up! It's not the fact that I could sell the same jersey and trunks for 10 times the price I got. If I would have known that the 1988 Jordan jersey and matching shorts would have been my last from a direct team source, I would never have sold it-PERIOD.

Then again, I sold Bruce Ruffins rookie 1986 Phillies jersey in 1987 for $700. Today, I would be lucky to get $70.00 for it!

In the end, it all equals out (...and if I say this another 100 times, I may actually not miss the Jordan jersey!)

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net

Banned

Hi Howard,

This Jordan jersey was discussed in a previous post on the old forum and supposedly sold for 45k on eBay.

I know you really liked it then.

It has turned up again for your perusal.

The key quote from the auction is: "The Champion 46 label has been resewn."

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

I'm sure Howard's were SandKnits and didn't have an upside down "N" in JORDAN. Real nice the way you can hardly see the photo of the name on back. Is the "N" still wrong side up? Its hard to tell if this jersey has been "edited " since it was last listed. From those recent ESPN.com articles, we know that equipment managers make mistakes with lettering, etc...but MJ? seems like a stretch. There are TONS of "45' pro-cuts and so-called "team issues" that have the "N" correct. Who made this mistake? A forger or Champion?

In 1987 I received a call from a man who must have been in his eighties. He said he heard I bought, sold and collected bats. He told me he had a Duke Snider H & B and 2 Stan Musial Adirondacks that he got in 1963 in Tampa-St. Pete where both the Mets (whom Snider was with that year) and the Cardinals had their spring training sites. He said he wanted $850 for the 3 bats and I remember my heart racing as I drove to his house. Sure enough, they were the real deal and I thought I was a real wheeler-dealer when I sold all 3 by the end of the day for $2000. It seemed like a hell of a profit at the time. Also, being from Rochester, I had accumulated at least 8 or 9 Ripken bats that Cal had used here in 1981. Cracked, uncracked, used, unused, whatever. I was lucky if I could get 50 or 60 bucks for them 6 or 7 years later. Oh well, they're all gone now. The bad part is 2 of them are in the hands of friends of mine who never let me forget it.

what make me so sick with the deal i made couple of years ago, new york yankees david cone 1998 game used jersey, i almost kept it in my personal collection but hell, why not i sell it and use $$ for xmas, by the way it was during xmas season. I sold it for $675 and then i mailed it to a guy in syossett, NY and IT NEVER ARRIVES, and it was LOST in mail. But i wrote SOYSSETT, NY but i wrote correct zip code. That was MOST SICK PART because i lost $675 and DAVID CONE 1998 JERSEY !!!!!!!!!!

reason i mention this, i wuld like ur help if u know anyone who have 1998 grey new york david cone game jersey , and I HOPE somday i get it back

cheers
    marcus

I just passed yesterday on a 1947 St. Louis Browns game used jersey with original numbers. The player was John Berardino. He later changed his name to John Beradino and starred with General Hospital for 33 years as Chief of Staff Dr. Steve Hardy on the daytime soap. The price was $4500 and it was purchased by a big time user and seller on this g.u.u. site. also a 1957 cardinals gamer of a non-hof'er for $1500. I feel sick about not buying the john berardino jersey. I hear commons are worth $4000+.

I am also sick about selling the first 2 checks ever written to Albert Pujols to appear on a fleer baseball card. i bought them both of of ebay, sold them for 400% of what I paid for them and I was still mad.

They were both signed on the back when cashed "jose A Pujols" and the second check his wife had signed as well. What a shame I didn't keep the first one from 2001. UD and topps will never go out of business so the checks are kind of like having pujols first and second year player contracts.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankwood
    In 1987 I received a call from a man who must have been in his eighties. He said he heard I bought, sold and collected bats. He told me he had a Duke Snider H & B and 2 Stan Musial Adirondacks that he got in 1963 in Tampa-St. Pete where both the Mets (whom Snider was with that year) and the Cardinals had their spring training sites. He said he wanted $850 for the 3 bats and I remember my heart racing as I drove to his house. Sure enough, they were the real deal and I thought I was a real wheeler-dealer when I sold all 3 by the end of the day for $2000. It seemed like a hell of a profit at the time. Also, being from Rochester, I had accumulated at least 8 or 9 Ripken bats that Cal had used here in 1981. Cracked, uncracked, used, unused, whatever. I was lucky if I could get 50 or 60 bucks for them 6 or 7 years later. Oh well, they're all gone now. The bad part is 2 of them are in the hands of friends of mine who never let me forget it.
    I feel your pain in regards to the musial bats. You sold the ripken bats to your buddies or the musial bats?

I sold 2 of the Ripken bats to friends of mine. The Snider I sold to the man who got me started in bats who lived in Pittsburgh at the time. One Musial went to a guy named Montbriand in California and the other Musial is still here in Rochester.

Here's one that will turn all of your stomachs, especially you football collectors. Many years ago, I picked up an incredible jersey worn by Walter Payton during his final Pro Bowl. I sold it for what I thought was a ton of money at the time....

...$850.

Makes me want to hurl.