Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Cliff Hagan jersey

A game worn Cliff Hagan jersey on ebay now.
    This would be a pretty amazing jersey if really a gamer. Any thoughts from our basketball experts?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-60s-St-L...QQcmdZViewItem

Re: Cliff Hagan jersey

Obviously legit as someone made an offer he couldn't refuse after you brought attention to it!

Banned

Obviously real since somebody bought it??? I don't agree. People buy BAD stuff all the time on ebay and in big name auction houses. I've bought bad stuff before too when I didn't do enough home work on an item. Now I'm anal about it. I doubt the person who bought it had enough time to really study it, unless he was already familiar with it. Just my 2 cents.
    Greg

I had time to study the Hagan. Its realer than the real deal Holyfield. Its hard to tell from the Getty watermark, but it seems to be a perfect photomatch. Notice the repair mark to the right of "HAWKS". This jersey is from Paul Silas and is legitimate. I asked the seller to end early when the auction was 2 hours old and he declined. When will it be at auction along with this Getty photo? I do not think posting the auction info on this forum brought attention (although I cringed when I saw the post). You win some..you lose some...but you live dammit...you live.

I would bet anyone who saw that auction prior to that post was pretty disappointed! I think it can't be a coincidence that it was pulled shortly after that particular posting, the auction houses have to be combing this forum left and right. Looked to me like it would have been an opportunity for someone to get a great piece without paying an arm and a leg, while keeping it away from the auction houses. There's nothing better than those rare occasions when you can pay good money but not crazy money. Not that I want to see the seller short-changed, I'm sure it would have brought substantial money. Now though it will go to the guy who paid $30K for the Nate Thurmond Cavaliers jersey. I shot the seller a pretty good but not outrageous offer myself after I saw this just in case he hadn't actually completed a deal but to no avail. It will be in a Christmas catalog somewhere though! I think it should be automatic that you don't draw attention unnecessarily to an item unless it's a fake, otherwise you're kissing it goodbye.

Banned

That's cool. Now, I never said it wasn't real. I said just because somebody bought it quick doesn't mean it's legit. I wonder what it went for? Cliff Hagan was a solid player for a solid team. He would have been a Celtic but Red traded him to get a higher pick to get Bill Russell.
    Greg

I emailed the seller when i first saw the jersey asking if they had a price they would sell the jersey for outright, they replied back they do not end auctions early and wanted to go through the process.

So i am really pissed they ended early

I don't think it's possible for an item like that to make it through an ebay auction with all of the "outside offers" coming in. Alas, the auction houses and plain old-fashioned trades seem to be the only way to obtain something like that!

For those who might not be old enough to have seen Cliff Hagan play or be completely familiar with his career, he was one of the best of his era. Along with Bob Petit, the St. Louis Hawks were the best team in the NBA West during the latter part of the 1950s and won the NBA crown in 1958. Hagan made the All-Star team many times and is enhrined in the Basketball Hall of Fame.

Mark Hayne
    Gridiron Exchange
    gixc@verizon.net

Always looking for WFL, Atlanta Falcons, NFL durene, Darren Lewis & Willie McGee game-used items.

Quote Originally Posted by genius View Post
    I would bet anyone who saw that auction prior to that post was pretty disappointed! I think it can't be a coincidence that it was pulled shortly after that particular posting, the auction houses have to be combing this forum left and right. Looked to me like it would have been an opportunity for someone to get a great piece without paying an arm and a leg, while keeping it away from the auction houses. There's nothing better than those rare occasions when you can pay good money but not crazy money. Not that I want to see the seller short-changed, I'm sure it would have brought substantial money. Now though it will go to the guy who paid $30K for the Nate Thurmond Cavaliers jersey. I shot the seller a pretty good but not outrageous offer myself after I saw this just in case he hadn't actually completed a deal but to no avail. It will be in a Christmas catalog somewhere though! I think it should be automatic that you don't draw attention unnecessarily to an item unless it's a fake, otherwise you're kissing it goodbye.
    We won't have to wait until Christmas as American Memorabilia got a hold of the jersey.