Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

first chance to get a jersey with the new captains patch

that jay Cutler Jersey is up to $4000

Again I am pretty new to this hobby, but I cannot believe the prices some people pay for some stuff.

Jay

Re: first chance to get a jersey with the new captains patch

Every item on the nfl, mlb, and nba auction websites seem to go very high. Maybe the different charitys have something to do with it. Maybe people have given up all hope in finding legit gamers on other auction websites.

Quote Originally Posted by mfsquirrelmaster View Post
    Every item on the nfl, mlb, and nba auction websites seem to go very high. Maybe the different charitys have something to do with it. Maybe people have given up all hope in finding legit gamers on other auction websites.
    I, too, could almost justify some of the price increase just due to buyer's comfort in the authenticity, but even the non-game used stuff (autographed footballs and mini helmets) go for way, way more than the same item on ebay would command.

Hi,

I'm the guy that won these auctions tonight so I thought I would quickly throw my two cents in.

My reasoning for picking up these jerseys [at these prices] is:
    • Authenticity - I have no doubt these are truly game worn, not only because of the source but I was also able to photo match them as well. I normally shy away from 'modern' jerseys like the plague because of the abundance of fake gamers out there so the only way I would make a purchase of a newer gamer is with iron clad proof that it is real.
    • Closure - I am a life-long Broncos fan and I only collect Broncos gamers. My primary focus is on 60's and 70's Broncos gamers however there were four modern day players I wanted to add to my collection: Rod Smith, Tom Nalen, John Lynch, Champ Bailey. The only one I had remaining on my list was Champ so I can now officially close out the 'modern day' portion of my collection and devote all of my attention to older players. [I took a flyer on the Cutler in the hope that he lives up to the hype. If he doesn't I'll be posting on the greatest regrets thread that was posted recently!]
    • Fun - The last reason is just plain enjoyment. I was at this game, cheered so loud that I couldn't talk the next day and have these to add to my memories of the game.
    Anyway, that's it. Thanks for reading.

Tom

Nice Pick Up

Just so you know I was not in anyway criticizing the jersey or the price, I was only amazed at how much some stuff can, and does go for. It is fair to say that the money is well spent for a number of reasons but like you mentioned the 100% certainty of where it came from is worth a lot. Buying that same jersey on Ebay for 1/2 the cost supplied by "a friend of a friend who knows the equipment manager" would be questionable. Also having what could be the first captains Jersey is pretty cool as well.

Jay

Banned

Re: Nice Pick Up

Quote Originally Posted by jayt1234 View Post
    Just so you know I was not in anyway criticizing the jersey or the price, I was only amazed at how much some stuff can, and does go for. It is fair to say that the money is well spent for a number of reasons but like you mentioned the 100% certainty of where it came from is worth a lot. Buying that same jersey on Ebay for 1/2 the cost supplied by "a friend of a friend who knows the equipment manager" would be questionable. Also having what could be the first captains Jersey is pretty cool as well.

Jay
    There is no question, NFL Auctions items go off at insane prices, only those collectors that are pretty well off need apply there. You see mostly run of the mill junk like signed authentic jerseys going off at $1,000+ which makes no sense when you can get very solid identical items for $200-300 easily through non-NFL sellers. Complete waste of money just to say "hey I got it from the NFL".

Little different on game worn items of course, where provenance IS important, but man do you pay a premium for it in nearly all cases.

Jake 51

Those are nice jerseys.

I really do not agree with several of the posters here, as far as them thinking someone has over paid for items in a competive auction like the NFL. If you want them you do what it takes to get them. It appears to me that several others wanted them as well at about the same price. Jake51, me or anyone else does not want to pay anymore than needed to get a item. The market value of that jersey with NFL provenance is $4K today. Besides that, collectors buy items because they want them for their collections, and they are REAL, not because they are a deal. REAL items cost money because other like minded collectors want them too.

Jake51, nice peices.

Roger

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RKGIBSON View Post
    Jake 51

Those are nice jerseys.

I really do not agree with several of the posters here, as far as them thinking someone has over paid for items in a competive auction like the NFL. If you want them you do what it takes to get them. It appears to me that several others wanted them as well at about the same price. Jake51, me or anyone else does not want to pay anymore than needed to get a item. The market value of that jersey with NFL provenance is $4K today. Besides that, collectors buy items because they want them for their collections, and they are REAL, not because they are a deal. REAL items cost money because other like minded collectors want them too.

Jake51, nice peices.

Roger
    I think it's safe to say the average collector (not knowing enough to do his own authentication work) is running scared due to the insane amount of fraud perpetrated in the hobby while the feds turn a blind eye. The result is an inflated value on items direct from the NFL or MLB.

Perhaps if the feds threw a few dozen crooks in jail, the market would settle down.

Jay – No worries, I didn’t take your comments as a personal criticism, I just wanted to share where I was coming from with these jerseys.

Mvandor – Personally, I agree with you that the prices for non game used items seems excessive. That said, it goes back to doing what you need to do to feel good about what you picked up. If going the ebay route or to a questionable auction house leaves a twinge of doubt in your mind that keeps you from enjoying your item, then sometimes the premium is worth it.

Roger – Thanks, I am pretty excited to have them. Also, I couldn’t have said it better myself – I don’t want to pay more then I have to but I also have made a conscious choice not to sit on the sidelines when something comes up that I want to add to my collection. Guess it plays to the addictive nature of this whole hobby...ha!

I also have a question for you, have you purchased from NFL auctions before? This is my first time buying from them and I was just curious as to how fast they ship.

Thanks again for the comments.

Tom