X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 808jerseys
    • Apr 2006

Re: first chance to get a jersey with the new captains patch

Tom,
    I wash my jerseys the way Jay would do his, but also add WHITE VINEGAR. Let soak for 1hour. Smell will be gone.
    Good Luck,
    REX

Comment

• otismalibu
      • Nov 2005

Again I am pretty new to this hobby, but I cannot believe the prices some people pay for some stuff.
      For many of the big ticket purchases, this seems to be a faith based industry.

Fiat money.

How often do you see an auction house offer a big ticket item, with some sort of visual evidence to substantiate the claim? I'm not talking a photo match, but simply a style match. And when contrary visual evidence is presented on this forum, how often is it addressed?

I called GFC once about a jersey that had been questioned on the old GUF site. Mr. Russek simply told me "the jersey is good". This was an offering with atypical lettering and I was looking for a little more proof. Gotta give them some props, because they will at least take a call or reply with an email. I've never once received a reply from AMI.

If something has a letter from a major auction house, someone is going to believe it's the real deal...whether or not it is or not. And if that buyer subsequently has doubts about his/her purchase, they can rest easy knowing there is another rube not doing their homework who will most likely happily purchase the item.

As long as there are people who have confidence in the currency being passed around, it will always have some value.
      Greg
      DrJStuff.com

Comment

• RKGIBSON
        • Mar 2006

I use the handwash setting on my washer. I put it on the smallest load setting with 1 tablespoon of detergent. I also add about 4 table spoons of salt. I was told years ago that this can be used to set colors in new clothes the first time they are washed. Does it do any good, who knows, but I do it. I usually let the jersey soak at some point in the cycle. I always pull it out between the wash and the spin hand rinse it. If it still smells, I run it through the handwash cycle again not using any more soap.

One more thing I always photo all my jerseys, in detail, before they are washed. If there is ever any question that this is the jersey it can be proven. I have only had one that washing it effected it enough to bring it in question. It was caked in mud from a rainy game. Before and after attached.

Roger
        Attached Files

Comment

• Jake51
          • Jan 2006

Thanks everyone for all of the good advice. I'll be honest Roger, seeing that last example you posted makes me nervous to wash mine - I understand why they have to be washed, just hate to lose any of the 'use'. The idea of taking pictures of them when they first show up is a good one, I'll do that and post them to the forum.

Thanks again.

Tom

Comment

• RKGIBSON
            • Mar 2006

Tom,

The keep in mind, the Thomas jersey was caked with mud. That is a lot different than yours or any that I posted pictures of. When I opened the bag there must have been a shovel full of dried dirt that had fallen of the jersey. I took the jersey out and used a hose to get the worst off it before it could be put in the washing machine. The Thomas is still stained brown from the mud. Does anyone thing I should not have cleaned it?
            I would not buy a muddy jersey like that again unless it was something really significant that I just had to have. I like to see the game use also, enough so the photos of the game let you know that is the jersey.

At the end of the day its your jersey and choice. If you do not want to wash it don't.

Roger

Comment

• Jake51
              • Jan 2006

Roger,

Gotcha, I couldn't tell from the photos that it was still stained. I agree with washing it, with that much mud on it I would imagine you could run the risk of ruining the jersey down the road - just like the germs/sweat/etc that gets on them.

Chances are I'll wash these when I get them and I really appreciate the tips on the best way to do it.

Thanks again.

Tom

Comment

• indyred
                • May 2006

What kind of paperwork/LOA do you get from NFL auctions when you win a game used jersey/helmet? Do they have a hologram system similar to mlb.com? Do they say what date the item was used ect...Would love to see what it looks like....

Comment

• RKGIBSON
                  • Mar 2006

The current items do have a PSA-DNA sticker on them. I always go look the item up when I am not purchasing the item first hand. I see items all the time on Ebay and in auctions that say game used but when you look them up they say autographed not game used. You can go into the PSA-DNA web site and look up my items below and see how they word them.

Some in the past had WeTrac or Prov instead.

I save everything that lends credibility, shipping labels from the box. Labels on the bags, everything. Attached are the 2006 LT and a 2003 Ricky Williams. Each team is slightly different.

Roger
                  Attached Files

Comment

• indyred
                    • May 2006

A few more are now up on NFL.com. A Cutler from a different game, Dolphins Jason Taylor and Kelsey Bills all have captain patches on them.

Comment

Working...