Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigtruck260
    • Sep 2007

McGwire "Game Used" 1998 Bat

Anyone interested in a 1998 Mac Gamer? I found one on the Bay for $140. I guess that Mac was so locked in using his Big Sticks that he thought a change in materials might aid him in hitting balls farther and with more regularity. Offered here is a Young Company bat with "light use" from the record-breaking '98 season.

Dave
    Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
    River City Redbird Authentics
    http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

sigpic
  • hblakewolf
    Banned
    • Nov 2005

Re: McGwire "Game Used" 1998 Bat

I'm not aware of McGwire EVER swinging a Young bat in a game, or for that matter, in B.P.

Anyone have a shred of evidence to support the sellers claims that this ever touched McGwires hands?

Carlie.......

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net

Comment

• ironmanfan
      • Sep 2005

There have been Young Bat Company (black) bats that have been floating around the hobby that were supposedly used by Cal Ripken Jr. as well...Just another BS story

Comment

• allstarsplus
        • Nov 2005

Drop $100 off the price and make it $40 which would be a good price for it. lol

I used to see at shows around 2001 a Young Bat display with "game issued" bats of Major Leaguers. Sort of like the XBats you can order direct from XBats

If the player used the exact model, then there may be some collectible value I guess. Some claimed that Barry Bonds used Young bats prior to 2000. I have never seen Big Mac use one.

Andrew
        Regards,
        Andrew Lang
        AllstarsPlus@aol.com
        202-716-8500

Comment

• bigtruck260
          • Sep 2007

I bet Birdbats could put the issue to rest - my point was that a guy who is blasting homers at record pace does not pick up another bat unless he HAS to - and switching brands just seems ridiculous. This is becoming a problem on eBay too - I have several bats at home that came with bad eBay photos and I took a chance only to find the bat was issued rather than used. Othe times I wonder if seller simply go out and play a little soft toss with thier buddies before listing an items as USED. Crikey.
          Dave

sigpic

Comment

• Birdbats
            • Nov 2005

Mac used just one bat while with the Cardinals -- an unfinished Rawlings. The Rawlings rep once gave him a black bat with red print to try, but it never saw game use. There's no photo evidence Mac ever held a Young bat in his hands... and during his stay in St. Louis, he was one of the most photographed athletes on the planet.

Jeff Scott
            birdbats@charter.net
            http://www.birdbats.com

Comment

• cigarman44
              • Aug 2007

You can see the 125 underlined on his AROD "gamer"

Comment

• cigarman44
                • Aug 2007

All his past X Bats have the "rare" country flag on them as well

Comment

• cigarman44
                  • Aug 2007

I send ebay a fraud message about his current bats and the X Bats he has sold in the past. Hopefully they will do something about it

Comment

• cjmedina1
                    • Oct 2005

Bigtruck260

I have a DVD from the 1998 season.On this DVD is all 70 home runs games.After a few days making notes on pine tar patterns,Type of bat,This young bat was not a bat of choice for Mcgwire from what I can tell in the 98 season.

Feel free to check out these few web sites as they all have great MAC info on bats.

www.birdbats.com.

Early in MAC career he did try a few LS bats.There is a few different models he did try but for the most part Rawlings was his bat choice.Well time for work feel free to email me with any more questions or post them here as I'm sure some of us can point you in the right direction

Carlie Meidna III
                    carliemedinaiii@sbcglobal.net

Comment

• bigtruck260
                      • Sep 2007

CjMedina -

I haved seen your stuff out there - and know that your ar the Mac authority...thanks.

I think my point in this thread was that there are these abnoxious sellers out there that prey on the new and under-educated collectors. It's sad, really, collecting gamers is tons of fun - but for me, doing the research is 80% of the fun. I am convinced that there are a number of bad seeds out there that buy trophy bats from X-Bat, file off the flag...and cover it with a healthy coating of tar....and many other silly doctoring tricks. In time, the number of collectors will grow, and this industry will be riddled with "bat forgers".

This auction just happened to be obvious enough that any MAC fan could discern that this is a crap item...some of these guys are getting better though. Sucks, really.
                      Dave

sigpic

Comment

• Birdbats
                        • Nov 2005

I just talked with a reputable collector who owns a Young Company McGwire bat. He had the opportunity to speak with Chris Young about it once and here's what he was told: Young made 12 bats for McGwire in 1998 to the exact specs of Mac's Rawlings bat. Mac used one bat for BP on one occasion and never used them again, in BP or in a game. Supposedly, there is a photo of Mac swinging the bat; the photo was taken and sent to Chris.

If you accept Chris' story (I have no reason to question it), then the bat on eBay likely is one of those 12 bats made for McGwire. Is it "the one" Mac used for BP that one day? Well, the odds are 1:12 at best. When Young Company folded, it's inventory was sold... so there are 12 Mac bats out there somewhere.
                        Jeff Scott
                        birdbats@charter.net
                        http://www.birdbats.com

Comment

• bigtruck260
                          • Sep 2007

From the seller of the MAC bat....

I told him I didn't think MAC used Young bats.

Dear bigtruck260,Young Bat Manufacturing Company claims differently and COA so I'll stick with the manufacturer. McGwire did try these bats and so did Bonds among many others. I do have several McGwire Louisvilles and Rawlings gamers also. I have been collecting his bats and gloves since he was a rookie. This is a bat as is all other Young made bats that are on EBAY all the time from 100% Power Sellers for years. Thanks for your input.

I guess all Power Sellers are reputable....
                          Dave

sigpic

Comment

• GoTigers
                            • Aug 2007

This guy should at least be busted on his "arod gamer"... also, I know the flag on X-bats indicates store model.. but I swear I've seen Vlad and I think Manny using a bat with flags on them before.. Is there another company that puts these on gamers? Thanks for your help on this, I'm new and still learning.
                            Thanks,
                            Jimmy

Email:
                            jamesbrandt24 at yahoo.com

Comment

• cjmedina1
                              • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Birdbats
                              I just talked with a reputable collector who owns a Young Company McGwire bat. He had the opportunity to speak with Chris Young about it once and here's what he was told: Young made 12 bats for McGwire in 1998 to the exact specs of Mac's Rawlings bat. Mac used one bat for BP on one occasion and never used them again, in BP or in a game. Supposedly, there is a photo of Mac swinging the bat; the photo was taken and sent to Chris.

If you accept Chris' story (I have no reason to question it), then the bat on eBay likely is one of those 12 bats made for McGwire. Is it "the one" Mac used for BP that one day? Well, the odds are 1:12 at best. When Young Company folded, it's inventory was sold... so there are 12 Mac bats out there somewhere.
                              Jeff

Good work.This is why Game Used Universe is the best.Everyone is willing to help each other.Keep up the good work all

Carlie Medina III
                              carliemedinaiii@sbcglobal.net

Comment

Working...