Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: I'm so darn mad!

Quote Originally Posted by 3arod13 View Post
    I was told by Chris that this was not the case and that I was wrong...the individual was not a GUU member. I now find this not to be true.

Honesty and Integrity!

As you said earlier...I guess you just can't take a man for his word.

Regards, Tony
    Hello Tony,

I think this is a lesson for everyone who participates on the forum. If you would have checked the member list via the Hobby Network you would have seen that Zane is not a registered GUU member. Instead, you took someone else's opinion and then questioned my honesty and the integrity of my word on the forum.

I think those that know me well will tell you I am painstakingly diligent in making sure my word is good and I really don't appreciate insinuations that I was somehow not honest in my correspondence to you.

Again, I think this is a very good lesson to everyone to make sure you check your facts before making claims on the forum that insinuate someone is not being forthright, etc. If members can learn that lesson I think it will help continue to increase the credibility of the forum and eliminate any potential criticisms that forum members are unnecessarily critical, etc.

Sincerely,
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCavalier View Post
    Hello Tony,

I think this is a lesson for everyone who participates on the forum. If you would have checked the member list via the Hobby Network you would have seen that Zane is not a registered GUU member. Instead, you took someone else's opinion and then questioned my honesty and the integrity of my word on the forum.

I think those that know me well will tell you I am painstakingly diligent in making sure my word is good and I really don't appreciate insinuations that I was somehow not honest in my correspondence to you.

Again, I think this is a very good lesson to everyone to make sure you check your facts before making claims on the forum that insinuate someone is not being forthright, etc. If members can learn that lesson I think it will help continue to increase the credibility of the forum and eliminate any potential criticisms that forum members are unnecessarily critical, etc.

Sincerely,
    Chris
    Chris, agree and please accept my apology.

Regards, Tony

Chris,

Please accept my apologies as well. I've purchased a bat from Zane before and I know that we have discussed him on this forum before. I guess that I thought he was a member here from my prior dealings. I had never even considered that he wasnt a member here until Tony mentioned that he wasnt. Thats when I checked the member list and saw that he wasnt a member.

Again, my apologies if my assumption was the impetus for Tony's statements.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Vintagedeputy View Post
    Chris,

Please accept my apologies as well. I've purchased a bat from Zane before and I know that we have discussed him on this forum before. I guess that I thought he was a member here from my prior dealings. I had never even considered that he wasnt a member here until Tony mentioned that he wasnt. Thats when I checked the member list and saw that he wasnt a member.

Again, my apologies if my assumption was the impetus for Tony's statements.

Jim
    Jim,

Thanks for your efforts, but I take full responsbility for this matter. I was the one who made the inappropriate comments that I did, without having the facts.

As Chris has stated in numerous and numerous threads, have the FACTS...FACTS...FACTS before making any kind of negative comments or accusations.

I take full responsibility for this as have learned a valuable lesson.

Now let me go wash the egg off my face.

Regards, Tony

Not to be unsympathetic, becuase I too have been frustrated by promises and no delivery on GU items, but I find it ironic that you would rely on the word of someone who was willing to violate ebay rules and go after the allmighty dollar. There have been numerous threads written about the practice of emailing sellers early to buy an item before an auction close and I will not revisit those. Suffice it to say that it happens all the time on almost every item.

However, a person who ends an auction early, in violation of ebay rules, does so only because he/she thinks that the offer is more than the ultimate auction price and therefore goes for the money. That is the type of person you are dealing with and, frankly, you had every hope to be dealing with. The honorable seller will give everyone a chance and let the chips fall where they may. When you wrote and asked the seller to end the auction early you were appealing to this basic self interest. When seller got a higher price the very insinct you appealed to worked against you.

To guard against those who would try to end the auction early by writing to sellers, which I will admit that I myself have done, I now email the sellr of anything I am really interested in and tell the seller that I intend to bid and not to end the auction early. I also offer to beat any "off the table" offer they get.

Many eBay bidders get mad when a seller ends an auction early to sell to someone.

soxbat

I do like your approach, like with anything though, that could backfire. If you are dealing with someone who is shill bidding, driving up their own price, you have encouraged them to maybe tack on more.

In a perfect world, there would be no ending early, no shill bidders, no snipers, and people would bid early and not the last second....but it is not a perfect world

I do think from now on if it is a high end, maybe once in a lifetime deal, I will email the seller to at least email me if someone makes a offer to end early so I can have a chance to match or beat.

I am still pissed about the Hagen jersey... I hope it sells for over $10,000. Not pissed at the buyer (if you are on here), just pissed at the seller. I would love to know what the jersey was sold for.

Bill

Well...

Interesting argument. There is a local guy in STL who has several brick and mortar stores in the area...and he does a good amount of business on eBay. I have bid on two of his items in the past year that have gone until the last 24 hours...and then the darn auction is ended early.

One item in particular was a Ray Lankford 2004 road jersey. I am a Ray fan, and that being his last year in the bigs...it was kind of an important item to me. I had a bid of $125...and NO OTHER BIDS FOR 7 DAYS. I was ready to spend $400 on it. I can only imagine that he had the jersey displayed in his store with a higher price tag...and someone bought it - he has not re-listed it.

Is this an ethical violation? If I bid, I am entering into an agreement. If he sells the item to someone else, I think I have a right to be a little upset. When I emailed him about it, he never responded. I can't even look at him when he sets his booth up at local shows. For seven days, I had my heart set on that jersey.

BTW, if someone here has it, contact me.

A comment about ebay. I have bought and sold many items on ebay and overall am very happy. Many items have sold way below what I thought they would but on the flip side many have finished much higher than expected. I have also been contacted by buyers to end auctions early but I have yet to have a fair offer so I have never done the practice. In this world where everyone is trying to make a buck I can see where buyers would contact sellers early and try to pick up the item at a lower price (lets be honest if you have to have the item you will just wait and make sure you are the high bidder). I in the past was lambasted by forum members because I picked up a game used jersey at a flea market and the seller did not know what he had so I tried and talk the price down from $10 to $5 and the hell I took that I cheated the seller and so on. We all enjoy collecting game used items but for me the hunt to find items is half the fun and if you can get them at a great price then more power to the knowledgeable. Does anyone watch Antiques Roadshow they do not criticize the people who bring things in that they bought cheap and are worth thousands. Back to my point I do not blame anyone in trying to get a jump on the competition (thats all of us). I do think steroids is cheating though!

Richard

Ebay is totally against what they call "circumvention of fees". I got a nasty gram once because my auction said that I would take offers...but my item was at a fixed price (with no best offer function). They are against you if you are able to get yourself a few extra duckets on your own...but they can allow people to sell thousands of fake sigs, bats, paintings, cards - and everything else. A little double standard there.

If you complain about circumvention of fees (the basic topic in this thread)...eBay acts immediately. if you complain about fake autographs, you get zip...