Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

I'm so darn mad!

I saw a bat that I liked on ebay. Contacted the seller and told him that I was interested. I asked him what his best price was to sell it directly to me (yeah yeah I know, please dont quote silly ebay rules to me).

Anyway, this goofball tells me his price and I agree to it. He gave me a price based upon what someone at a show told him that it was worth. He sends me additional pictures and tells me the history of the bat. I felt good about the provenance so I again reiterate that I want it. I email him back asking him how he'd like me to send payment......all this time I "assumed" that he ended the auction, after all we had an agreement. The bat was up for days without a single bid!

Well, after not hearing back for a few hours, I checked the auction on a whim and saw that he let it run its course and it sold (to a forum member) for quite a bit more than our agreed upon price. I emailed him back and asked him what happened and now he says that he never agreed to sell it to me, but rather he would sell it at that agreed upon price if the bat didnt sell on ebay.

I guess you can't take a man on his word anymore.

Jim

Re: I'm so darn mad!

That sucks Jim! I guess that is why I just bid and don't try and end things early.
    Broncos middle linebacker.....Joe Mays!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Collecting - Tyrone Braxton (Broncos 87-93 Dolphins 94 Broncos 95-99), Phil Hansen (Bills 91-01), Steve Nelson (Patriots 74-87), Stacy Robinson (Giants 85-90), Kevin Donnalley (Patriots 1981), Lamar Gordon (Rams 02-03, Dolphins 04, Eagles 05, Lions 06), Jared Peck (Falcons 2004), Craig Dahl (Giants 2007-08, Rams 2009-10), Joe Mays (Eagles 2008-09, Broncos 2010), & Dick Hanson (Giants 1971) among others. :rolleyes:

If you don't mind me asking, what bat was it? An auction link please?

B1son - yeah, I used to just bid like everyone else and would lose items I wanted. Then I went to a snipe service and won some stuff but alot of times, the bids went higher than my snipe. Recently I started picking auctions where I really liked the item and took a chance and emailed the seller. I have a somewhat informal "system" that I use (haha) that has seemed to work for me so far in acquiring pieces that would normally have sold well beyond my budget. I havent kept track of how many times its worked out for me, but thats how I recently bought my Jorge Posada and Mark Grace gamers.

Brian - I wouldn't normally disclose it but I have emailed the forum member who won and told him the story. I'm happy that he won it and am not mad at him at all. I'm pissed at the seller for backing out of our verbal agreement.

Here's the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/1978-Game-Used-D...QQcmdZViewItem

Quote Originally Posted by Vintagedeputy View Post
    I have emailed the forum member who won and told him the story.

Here's the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/1978-Game-Used-D...QQcmdZViewItem
    Sorry to hear about your bad luck with that auction/seller. He should have kept his word. However, as I always say...it today's society, it's all about the almighty dollar (in most cases).

On another note about something you said in this thread, I do find one thing interesting, yet somewhat troublesome.

When I previously had an issue with the winner of that auction (won't go into details and bring all that back up again) and I made a post in this forum about it, it was removed. I was later ok with that and understood Chris' point in the matter. I did however make a comment about that individual being a GUU member and also discussed about people looking out for each other and possible favortism towards others. I was told by Chris that this was not the case and that I was wrong...the individual was not a GUU member. I now find this not to be true.

Honesty and Integrity!

As you said earlier...I guess you just can't take a man for his word.

Regards, Tony

Tony,

I vaguely remember what you are talking about, and I think the situations are different. The member who won this auction on ebay did it fair and square, by the book. I have no issue with him at all.

When I emailed the seller, the bat had been up for auction for days without a single bid. There were no bids on it when we made our deal. Within a matter of 2 hours after our deal, the bid jumped up to $50 more than our deal price. The seller failed to cancel the auction like he should have after we finalized a deal. I was out running errands yesterday but checked my email several times from my mobile and I kept in contact on a timely basis with the seller. There was never an indication from him that the deal was not on.

What this amounts to, is that the seller realized soon after our agreement, that there was money being left on the table. He chose not to honor the deal and went for the money. He ended up profiting more than $200 by doing this.

Funny thing is, when I asked how the bat was acquired, he said that his uncle worked for the Tigers in some clubhouse/field capacity. I asked if he had any proof of that to add to the provenance. He replied back about how he doesnt lie in his auctions and his feedback proves that. Too bad in this case, I cant let his feedback show that he doesnt honor his word as a seller or as a man.

Jim

Tony,

I vaguely remember what you are talking about, and I think the situations are different. The member who won this auction on ebay did it fair and square, by the book. I have no issue with him at all.

When I emailed the seller, the bat had been up for auction for days without a single bid. There were no bids on it when we made our deal. Within a matter of 2 hours after our deal, the bid jumped up to $50 more than our deal price. The seller failed to cancel the auction like he should have after we finalized a deal. I was out running errands yesterday but checked my email several times from my mobile and I kept in contact on a timely basis with the seller. There was never an indication from him that the deal was not on.

What this amounts to, is that the seller realized soon after our agreement, that there was money being left on the table. He chose not to honor the deal and went for the money. He ended up profiting more than $200 by doing this.

Funny thing is, when I asked how the bat was acquired, he said that his uncle worked for the Tigers in some clubhouse/field capacity. I asked if he had any proof of that to add to the provenance. He replied back about how he doesnt lie in his auctions and his feedback proves that. Too bad in this case, I cant let his feedback show that he doesnt honor his word as a seller or as a man.

Jim
    Jim,

Misunderstanding. The point to my post was not against the winner or seller of the auciton, or how that scenario played out.

My disappointment is with Chris. Chris told me that he (the winner of that auction) was not a member of GUU. However, based on your comments, he is a GUU member.

Just disappointed to find out what I was told is not the truth.

Regards, Tony

Well, I could be wrong.

I thought that Zane was a member here but after checking the members list, I do not see him listed. Its possible that I made a mistake in that or maybe he used to be a member. I thought for sure that I had seen him post here before.

Let me add, I've bought from Zane before and that could be why I thought he was a member here........really not sure at this point.

Well, I could be wrong.

I thought that Zane was a member here but after checking the members list, I do not see him listed. Its possible that I made a mistake in that or maybe he used to be a member. I thought for sure that I had seen him post here before.
    Ok, thanks! Then please ignore my post and/or remove it. Sorry for any misunderstanding and/or inconvenience.

Regards, Tony