Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Frank Viola Red Sox jersey

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Can anyone speak to whether Frank Viola would have worn a 1991 jersey with the patch removed in 1992? Or is Ball Park Heros knowledgable enough to have known that this was done?

Just looking for a second opinion. Not questioning the seller or Ball Park Heros integrity. It is just that the last time I bought a jersey where the jersey year didn't match the yer the player should have worn it I got screwed.

Thanks,
    Bryan

Re: Frank Viola Red Sox jersey

Bryan,

To answer your first question, the 'JRY' patch was worn in 1992 to memorialize the death of Jean Yawkey in February of 1992. As such, none of the Red Sox, including Viola, would've taken the field in 1992 without the JRY patch. If the jersey really was worn in 1992 with the JRY patch, then someone removed it after the season ended. Typically, when done by the team, the removal of a patch would be done so that the jersey could be worn the following season. (In this case, 1993).

There are other 'issues' with this jersey however:

- The jersey bears a 1986-1989 era Wilson tag. This is consistant with the time period during which Wilson supplied the Red Sox with jerseys. (Wilson supplied jerseys to the Red Sox from about 1979 to 1987). Wilson came out with a revised tag in 1990 and used it until 1993. (The Ebay jersey shows a 1986-1989 era tag.) Rawlings took over supplying Red Sox jerseys in 1990. (From 1988-1989, both Rawlings and Wilson supplied the Red Sox with jerseys). In short, if I were looking to purchase a 1991 Red Sox jersey, I would be looking for a Rawlings.

- In 1992, Russell entered the Major Leagues and supplied the majority of teams with their jerseys. The Red Sox were no exception. In 1992, the Red Sox jerseys were supplied by Russell. I don't believe the Red Sox took the field in 1992 with the JRY patch in Wilson jerseys. Personally, I'd really like to see the 'outline' of the JRY patch that the seller mentions.
    Red Sox jerseys continued to be supplied by Russell throughout most of the 90's.

Interestingly enough, from 1986-1988, #16 was Kevin Romine.
    There's a chance that this is a 1986-1988 era Red Sox jersey used by Kevin Romine, with a '91' year tag sewn on it. The '91' tag itself is consistent in style with how mid-late 80's Wilson Red Sox jerseys were tagged; however, I've only seen the year sewn in black. I've never seen it sewn in red.
    I've seen a few early 90's Red Sox jerseys on Ebay made by Wilson. The last one was a 1991 Mo Vaughn who wore #42 during this time period with the Red Sox. Interestingly enough, #42 was worn during 86-88 by John Woodward, Dave Henderson, and John Trautwein.

See my images below:

It's not uncommon for teams to remove patches and re-use jerseys again for the following year. In this case however, some things aren't adding up.

Rudy.

Banned

I have a Red Sox jersey from the 1992 season with both the "JRY" initials and armband. If anyone would like a scan, please email me at flaa1a@comcast.net . Jim

Quote Originally Posted by sylbry
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

....Just looking for a second opinion. Not questioning the seller or Ball Park Heros integrity. It is just that the last time I bought a jersey where the jersey year didn't match the yer the player should have worn it I got screwed.

Thanks,
    Bryan
    Long story short. It's a Kevin Romine 1991 jersey with the memorial taken off. Romine played in 55 games for the BoSox in '91
    R. C. Walker
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

treborreklaw@hotmail.com

Neglected to add, can use some help with the RED year tag. I have only seen one or two others. Any help from Red Sox collectors?
    R. C. Walker
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

treborreklaw@hotmail.com

RC,

How is it a '1991 Romine with JRY patch removed' if the JRY patch was worn in 1992?

Romine left the Sox after the 1991 season. The patch was applied in 1992. Who wore it in 1992?

Rudy.

Viola was on the Red Sox the entire year winning 13 games. Is it possible that the Sox are so cheap,and with no nameplates on the jersey to contend with,they re-issued Romine's(5'11'')jersey(to Viola 6'4")? Also Romines' been on the Sox continually since 1985.

Swoboda,

A dealer on this Forum has a 1987 Frank Viola game-worn Twins jersey.
    It's a Rawlings jersey that's a size 46. Viola joined the Red Sox in 1992, so I don't see him taking less than a 46 at that point. Would 5'11 Romine take a 46? It's hard to imagine.

First, let's see what the Ebay jersey currently assumes:
    - the Wilson tagging is from 86-89. The jersey is tagged as '91'. So, the Red Sox kept this jersey in storage for 2-5 yrs before issuing it.
    - In 1991, #16 was worn by Romine. So, the Ebay jersey is saying that in 1992, the Red Sox gave Romine's old jersey to Viola. Viola then wore this jersey for 2 consecutive years. (I say 'consecutive' because why else would the JRY patch have been legitimately removed?)
    - OR this jersey was tagged in 1991 and never worn by Romine and upon Frank's arrival in Boston in 1992, they gave it to him.

Here are the questions those assumptions raise:
    Why would an 86-89 jersey have a '91' tag on it?
    Would a Romine jersey fit Viola?
    Does the Wilson tag and the numbers really look like they've got 2-3 years worth of wear on it? I would offer that they don't.

I believe that the Red Sox wore Russell jerseys in 1992. Even if there is a point of contention in them wearing Wilson or Rawlings in 1991, I don't believe they could've re-used either manufacturer in 1992 seeing as 1992 was their first year with a new manufacturer (Russell).
    At a minimum I've shown that they indeed wore Russell jerseys in 1992, dated via the JRY patch.

I will email the seller and find out what size the jersey is. (Personally I have my doubts that there really is a 'slight outline' of the JRY patch).

p.s. "Romines' been on the Sox continually since 1985"
    I don't understand what you mean by this?. Romine's last major league game was in 1991.

Rudy.

Unsure if it has any bearing, but the same seller is also offering this jersey:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=8757682317

I don't think any explanation is necessary as to why it's a farce of a jersey.

Rudy.

The Viola jersey is a size 46.

Romine was 5'11/185lbs. Would a size 46 be a likely size for him?

Maybe Wilson sizes run a bit smaller?

A few possibilities here (assuming there really is a 'slight outline' of the JRY patch and the patch was legitimately removed).

- the Red Sox received a size 46, with no numbers in 1991 and had it
    tagged in 1991. (Why is Wilson sending older-style jerseys?)
    - Viola joined the Sox in 1992, they then had "16" sewn on and gave it to
    Viola.
    -------------------------
    or
    - the jersey really was intended/worn by Romine and simply given to Viola in 1992. Aside from my photos showing Russell jerseys with the JRY patch, Bill Henderson's guide also lists "Russell" (in black) as the manufacturer for the Red Sox home jerseys in 1992.

If there really is no 'slight outline' of the JRY patch, then perhaps Romine took a 46 and this is simply a 1991 (or earlier) Romine.

Too many questions and oddities for me personally to feel comfortable
    bidding on it.

Rudy.