Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1992 Seattle Mariners tagging

Does anyone have any pictures of the tagging for 1992 Mariners jerseys?

Or at the very least, does anyone know how a 1992 Mariners jersey should be tagged?

thanks,

Rudy.

Re: 1992 Seattle Mariners tagging

You could check with Jim Yackel, because I know he has one (Hanson) listed on his website.

If Jim Yackel has a Mariners jersey on his site somewhere it must be well hidden as I don't see any. There is a Hansen Cubs listed however. As a Mariners collector I peruse his site every few days hoping for a Mariners addition.

The Mariners jerseys were still supplied by Rawlings in 1992 so it should have the 92 Rawlings era tagging. I unfortunately don't have an example to show you as I lost my tagging archive in a hard drive crash. It shouldn't have Russell Athletic tagging as they started being the supplier in 1993 when the Mariners Logo & colors had an overhaul.

If you have any pictures please post them and if possible, what jersey is it?

-Jeremy

Banned

Jeremy-
    I'm assuming this post is in reference to the Ebay offering of 18 road Mariners jerseys, void of the names on back.

The 1992 jerseys in this lot have the standard Russell tagging and year tagging. You indicate that Rawlings was still making the jerseys in 1992-what is correct......Russell or Rawlings?

I have a nice game worn 2005 Ichiro road jersey I just picked up. It is a very nice Majestic, with the procode 0062. Shows solid use, and is one of the best I have seen. If anyone is interested, please let me know. I am seeking $1,900.

Thanks.
    Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net

I have seen the lot on eBay and I was initially interested in it, but I can't see spending that much for those with all the nameplates missing. I guess it's great for those that like to restore.

That lot doesn't include any 1992 jerseys, which still used the old colors of blue and yellow. The compass rose patch on the sleeve came with the logo redesign and new colors of blue and teal. The tagging shown on the 1993 jersey in that auction is correct for that time period.

As far as I can tell with all the photos I've checked Rawlings handled all of the 1992 jerseys. Anything 1993-2004 should be Russell Athletic, 2005-current should be Majestic.

-Jeremy

Banned

Rudy-
    As noted, there is a lot of 18 road jerseys on Ebay. Search under Mariners game jersey and you will be able to view the lot, and also a shot of the 1992 tagging.

Hope this helps.
    Howard

After some more searching through photos & cards, I did in fact find one that shows the 1992 style jerseys but with a Russell Athletic logo on the sleeve, so it is possible that it could be either on a 1992.

However the problem with photos is the dates aren't always listed or are incorrect. So I can't say for certain which was used more that year, and I retract my statement from earlier that RA was not used in 1992. It is clearly obvious that they were used before 1993 since that jersey is the old blue/yellow from pre-1993.

The tagging would look similar to this:

Or this, from the eBay auction but of course stamped as 1992:

Cleary, I am unaware of Rawlings tagging, as I only have 1 in my collection.

Correct Rawlings year tags can be found here.

http://www.jimyackel.com/rawlings.jpg

re: the lot of 18 Mariners jerseys on Ebay.
    These are all from 1993.

Jeremy:
    Mariners jerseys in 1992 were provided by Russell. 1992 is an interesting year for the Mariners as it not only marked the final year for their 1987-1992 era jerseys (1993 saw re-designed Mariners jerseys and logos) but it also brought Russell into the mix as the main supplier of MLB jerseys for the first time. As such, any 1987-92 era Mariners jersey made by Russell can be identified specifically as a 1992, even without any year tagging.
    (Russell did not enter the Major Leagues prior to 1992 and the Mariners had re-designed jerseys in 1993.) When Russell entered the Majors in 1992, they had the majority of team contracts. Therefore, even teams that regularly recycled jerseys from year to year were unable to recycle 1991 jerseys into 1992 because of the new manufacturer (from Rawlings to Russell).

I'm guessing if your photos indicate Mariners jerseys in 1992 from Rawlings then they're probably mis-dated. Mis-dating is sometimes a problem with images from Getty. Specifically, when a Getty date is shown as "Jan 1" it means the photo was not specifically dated and as such may be incorrect.

At any rate, see my images below showing 1987-1992 era style Mariners jerseys with the Russell "R" on the right sleeve. Every 1992 Griffey I've seen for sale has also been a Russell.

Rudy.

I would have to agree that the photos I've looked at are more than likely misdated and from 1991.

Learn something new every day.

-Jeremy