All,

The Gary Carter jersey, part of lot 1477 in Mastro's current auction, is wrong. I have just written Mastro to inform them of the error.

The jersey appears to be a Rawlings mock-up/salesman's sample of a style that was ultimately rejected for 1987. I actually have one of these in my collection.

The jersey on auction contains white as a third color behind the silver and orange on the lettering. It also contains white sleeve stripes. The true 1987 road BPs only contained 2-color lettering, and no white sleeve stripes were present. Another problem with the jersey is the appearance of a Set tag. I have handled and own many Mets BPs and never have I seen them come in sets like the game jerseys do. I am not sure how the set tag could have made it to this jersey, but I can safely say it is not on my salesman's sample.

I'll let you know the outcome of my conversations w/ Mastro. My letter now is simply to put a warning out there if in event you were interested in the Carter jersey and did not know all of the characteristics of a true 1987 Mets road BP.

http://www.mastroauctions.com/index....t&CurrentRow=1

Nick