Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Homemade Display Case

This is a topic that comes up a lot. We own above average G/U items and there seems to be not one superior display case product out there. I'm not a fan of folded jerseys to fit a frame. I want to see the whole jersey. I'm not a fan of, flat as a pancake smashed up against the glass option either. So neccessity is the mother of invention I took myself to Home-depot and Michael's Craft store. From HomeDepot:wood,screws,black paint,Minwax Polycrylic finish,hinges(or pan head screws) from Michaels a 40x29 inch frame($18). In three days you'll have this:

I use 3 strips of industrial Velcro on the back.

Re: Homemade Display Case

great job! i think i might try something like this. i have a couple of questions. how did you attach the frame to the box part?
    also what did you use to keep the jersey in place?

thanks
    tom

Nice handy work! Looks better and more sturdier than the professionally produced cases. I have one this has the molded plastic backing, very flimsy.

Is the frame glass ?

David

I attached the frame to the box with 4 -2inch phillips head pan screws,instead of hinges for security and to keep kids from playing with it when I'm not around. This is glass because it came with the frame. I discarded the backing and just used the frame and the glass-which is expensive to get separately. Otherwise I use plexiglass for custom/larger jobs.Plexiglass is lighter than glass and can be purchased at HomeDepot for 1/3 the price of a glass shop. Jersey is in a hanger which I made the hook shorter with pliers so it doesn't hang too low. I screwed a "O" bolt to the top of the box. Also 3 strips of 2 inch Velcro is on the back and supported temporarily on the bottom (for 24 hrs) untill maximum strength achieved.

ONE CORNER COMPLETED:

Very nice email me the items you used to make the case dcrules01@msn.com..Maybe I will give it a shot...

I am sold...can I get the list as well??? Thanks!
    Broncos middle linebacker.....Joe Mays!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Collecting - Tyrone Braxton (Broncos 87-93 Dolphins 94 Broncos 95-99), Phil Hansen (Bills 91-01), Steve Nelson (Patriots 74-87), Stacy Robinson (Giants 85-90), Kevin Donnalley (Patriots 1981), Lamar Gordon (Rams 02-03, Dolphins 04, Eagles 05, Lions 06), Jared Peck (Falcons 2004), Craig Dahl (Giants 2007-08, Rams 2009-10), Joe Mays (Eagles 2008-09, Broncos 2010), & Dick Hanson (Giants 1971) among others. :rolleyes:

VERY nice! I might try making one since my plastic covers don't really seem good enough for the jerseys I have in my room. How much did it cost you total to make each of these cases?

I'll break everything down with steps and photos soon. I'm working through the weekend right now. I'll include a close-up of the baseball case.

Looks great...except for the screws on the front.
    Have you considered drilling the box, and attaching a dowell to the back of the frame part? You can still pull the front off, but won't have the visible screws.

I had to show this off, granted its beyond what I can do....but my Dad made this for me 10 years ago. He is a artist with wood
    Cheers,
    Ty
    www.FriendsOfCFF.com