Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: AMI Dan Marino

Re: AMI Dan Marino

This is the last time I'm posting on this topic...

Ducks...look at the pattern on Marino's right sleeve in the pic of the Vikes game closely...

from the bottom of the sleeve, the color bands go in this order:

1. green
    2. white
    3.orange
    4. white
    5. green

the sleeve pattern shirt that AMI did sell was as follows:

1. green
    2.white
    3. orange
    4. white
    5. green
    6. white
    7. orange
    8.white
    9. green

So, this eliminates the Vikings game...Ducks, the pic from the Jets game is only a head shot...the only thing that can be verified from this pic is that it correctly does not have the NFL shield...just because the shield is absent does not make the whole shirt a match!!!!...

I'm telling you guys...The Marino shirt from the Jets game does match the
    Vikings shirt...and both don't match the AMI shirt

I think this forums accuracy is incredible and it's a good way for collectors to watch out for each other from all the scams out there...And there seem to be more scam artists in this hobby than in some dark alley...Mark, are you a dealer or a collector?......

I'm not preaching on a soap box...I call 'em as I see 'em...I don't have all day to e-mail people with issues within their own business...they can read it here for themselves...If you got a problem with that, request to have me banned...my motivation is to not see people getting screwed over

In my opinion, worst-case scenario is that this is a team game-issued 1994 NFL throwback jersey to the exact specifications that were worn on the field minus cutting the sleeves, with some nice paperwork to back up the value. I doubt there are many jerseys like it and I think the final selling price would be worth it to some folks out there even if the sleeves weren't cut and Marino didn't actually wear it. For example, I'm from Pittsburgh and I've seen a lot of Lemieux so-called team issues (with no paperwork) go for about $1K and though I'm not an expert, $3K for a true team-issue Marino 94 throwback with team paperwork may be pricey but perhaps not unreasonable. The 94 throwbacks were cool! I think this Marino is a pretty good item and though AMI gets a fair amount of bashing here, I don't have too much of a problem with them deferring to the team paperwork considering the difficulty finding proof one way or another. Absolute conclusive evidence showing that it WAS a game worn item probably would have been reflected in a higher selling price. I hope the buyer liked the item, in the end that's what really matters, again in my opinion. Thanks!

Lund6771,

The photo I posted of Marino is from 9-25-04 Vikings game. I printed the photo and used a magnifying glass. Look carefully, the photo shows the sleeve pattern as follows:
    1. green
    2.white
    3. orange
    4. white
    5. green
    6. white
    7. orange
    8.white
    9. green

This is the same pattern as the AMI jersey. Bottom line is I am not trying to convince you. I am not defending AMI. I cannot confirm that the AMI jersey is the jersey that Dan had on his back. I am a collector. I think the golden rule in collecting is that collect what you love and if you have any question about an item, do not purchase it. You may be right, however the photos of the jersey match....in my humble opinion.

Does anyone have any info on equipment trainer who signed Dolphins COA. I am sure the 94 or 95 media guide identifies Equipment Managers and Assistant Equipment Managers. That information would be helpful.

Anyway, this thread may have run its course. Lund 6771 I appreciate your posts and think dialogue serves us all well.

Per my earlier email:
    I am interested in Dan Marino game used items from impeccable source.....also collecting Roger Clemens game used items.

The right sleeve is optimal for the sleeve striping pattern.

The 94 TB jerseys used in the Vikings game was a TB to the 1984 Dolphins. Here is a photo of Dan on sideline. Of course the jerseys are not identical but the sleeve pattern is the same: Green white orange white green white orange white green. Just FYI.

I am curious about confirmation of identity of equipment manager.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I hate to keep posting, but I should have done this in last post. Here are two pics next to each other. Marino vs. Vikes in 94 and AMI jersey. I also attached the 84 pic which served as model for 94 TB jersey. The right sleeve on Marino v. Vikes pic is the best to view sleeve striping. The left sleeve on AMI photo is the best.

dukes...I'm not really sure where and how our opinions vary...

in the 84 pic you provided, if you cut half of the sleeves off then it would look like the Vikings game pic...

there is only ONE orange stripe in the Vikings pic...

videos will be coming soon

lund6771,

In post #51, you inquired whether I am a dealer or collector. I will answer your question with a question of my own. What does that have to do with the Marino jersey or this thread?

You have been complaining about this jersey for two weeks but have yet to provide evidence backing your claim. It sounds like you have not even viewed the evidence yourself at this point. How fair is that to any Seller?

How can a Seller agree to remove an item without being supplied with supporting evidence that the item is not as advertised? Furthemore, how can they be expected to remove the item if you do not contact them with your concerns? Surely you nor anyone else in this Forum can really expect a Seller to automatically remove a documented jersey from an auction or sale based on posts in this Forum that do not provide any concrete evidence that a jersey was not worn. And even if you did contact the Seller, don't you think that it would be wise to first have the evidence in hand?

I am not trying to beat you to death on this issue, I am just trying to make a point about fairness. If the jersey is not game worn as you claim, then do the right thing and gather the evidence and present it to the Seller. If I were buying or selling an item that wasn't what I thought that it was, I would hope that the good neighbors in this Forum would bring it to my attention. I would also hope that everyone in this Forum would want to be treated that way if they were in a similar circumstance.

Mark Hayne
    Gridiron Exchange
    gixc@verizon.net

Check this photo out. It is a photo of Marino with Pat Catello (Dolphins equipment manager in 80's). Looks like 94TB jersey.....same as AMI jersey. AMI jersey is looking solid.

Hi Everyone,

I have been following this story, and figured I would share my insight. I had seen the Marino Throwback jersey in AMI and was so excited. As many of you may know, I have been seaching for the ultimate Marino, and had thought that I had finally found my shirt. The fact that AMI had it and it was not even advertised properly left me a little hesitant, but I thought I may be able to get lucky! I was prepared to go to the extreme to get this shirt, which if genuine could land in the 20K range. That being said, I started to research. I knew the only source to confirm the authenticity 100% would be to get in touch with Pat Catello, as he certainly is the Miami Dolphin supreme authenticator.I have since been in contact with people in the Dolphins and can confirm that the throwbacks were worn in 2 games only, 9/18 vs Jets (in MIAMI) and 9/25 vs Vikings (In MINN.), and that both of these jerseys were in fact owned by Mr. Catello, completely unwashed and PHOTOMATCHED to a tee! In fact the one worn vs. Minnesota has been put on display in the Miami Dolphins current Hall of fame in the stadium by Pat as he is going to be placing his entire collection in the new Dolphins Hall of Fame which will be lodged in the stadium when construction is finished. One of this forums users has posted a photo of Pat with this shirt. This has all been confirmed by Pat, and he has a radio show on Monday nights in which he allows equiptment and collectible questions. I will be calling in this week and hopefully will get to talk to him personally. Needless to say I have been deflated! However, just another sad story in the current state of this hobby and these auction houses! But one thing is for sure, this board is awsome!