Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Skyrocketing Signatures

When I go to Oriole Games I go aroung 1pm for a night game and stand outside the stadium and get autographs as the players pull up or drive in to the player parking lot.
    I was lucky to get some good players this year and had fun doing this.

Unhappy Re: Skyrocketing Signatures

Everybody has a preference about their equipment: from cracked to uncracked bats to signed or unsigned equipment. I have no issue getting my equipment signed and enjoy comments from the player when they sign it. And, there is no better authentication than with the player - although they themselves screw up from time to time.

Examples: Dave Kingman in STL last year, I had a H174 bat, he had ordered only a few I believe in 75. He says, "Bob I think these were made for a show or something..." I have the Louisville records that show he used that! Or, having him sign an Adirondack he stated he didn't use many. I have photos of him using them with all teams he played with. A pair of Converse GU spikes - these aren't mine... I have a 2'X3' poster with him wearing blue converse...hmmmm.

Players tend to remember what they preferred or used most. Dave always used an S2 Louisville. He experimented with different bats all the way, but drifted back to S2's. McGwire was a 256B Adirondack guy, Thome a M356 Louisville guy - both using specific models that differed at times. Mac tried Louisvilles early, Thome at times will use still an I13 Louisville, Xbats, etc. Getty is great today for seeing what they use.

I got off topic a bit! Back on, I'm sure it is promoter induced inflation mostly with Thome. 500 HRS and they feel that is automatic enshrinement to the Hall and time to rape the public. Unfortunately, guys like me are not going to drag a bank with them or remortgage the house to get 2 things signed. I have had a Cooper early Thome bat on here a few times at $400 ppd. Funny, the cost of a bat would be 2 signatures. How crazy is this?

RK

One of the problems now is that even the average player in the major's (heck, just to make the major's is a big time accomplishment) and stay around for several years are pretty much financially set for life and don't need to do the signings post career like they once did. Sometimes you need to bite the bullet if you really want it bad enough.

The sad thing is to see some mom or dad pay say $100.00 or so for a signed ball from a team store when earlier that same day you see the same player sign for 5 or 10 minutes for free with the fans.

Maybe there should be a thread on how to collect auto's for free where people from around the country could chime in and lend their experiences at the different ball parks around the country.

With that let me give some free pointers about Dodger Stadium:

The gates open for the parking lot 2 hours before the game, and while it's stated that the gates to the stadium open 90 min before the game, there is the field level gate at the left field side that opens 2 hours before the game and all fans regardless of where they are sitting can come in and get an opportunity to watch the last part of the Dodgers during Batting Practice and maybe shag a ball and get an autograph...fans's are allowed to stay until batting practice is over for the visiting team and that also means that they can get some auto's from the visiting team.

The visiting team buses typically park outside of the right field pavilion and the players walk to it at the end of the game and they often sign and allow you to take pictures with them, but you have to hang around for about an hour or so at times. This is okay as it allows for the traffic to die down anyway.
    Always looking for Dodger Game Used Jerseys

Quote Originally Posted by bigtruck260 View Post
    I have also noticed players charging for a "photo op" Rickey Henderson will charge and extra $50 for that too...
    I wish shows would offer this service exclusively. I do not collect autographs, but sometimes get them at shows just for the experience of meeting the player and getting a photo taken (see pic below with me, my son, and Ted Simmons).

Put anonther category on the priceslist:

Flats $50
    Jerseys $100
    Photo Op $25

I would love this option
    Scott Harpt
    scott_harpt at yahoo dot com
    Always seeking Cecil Cooper, Ben Oglivie, and Gorman Thomas

Unhappy Re: Skyrocketing Signatures

Yea, back in the day I used to know all the good places to get signatures at the now defunct Tiger Stadium. I would stand outside the broadcast booth to get the former major leaguers that do tv and radio. I got Bob Uecker, Jim Kaat, Kaline, Kell and many others this way, and most were very nice about signing with exception to Kaline who is very surly most of the time. You could also stand out by the team buses on the final day as the players were headed for the airport. I remember getting Wade Boggs thru the bus window, Andre Dawson and Paul Molitor. As previously mentioned, this is less controlled and you often ended up with a crummy autograph on a $15 ball and waited long lengths of time in a very bad area of town.

Today, there is Comerica Park. I have small children now ages 6 and 10, so the days of waiting for autographs are gone. I am not going to stand there in a dangerous area with my kids to save a few bucks. Also previously mentioned, it just isn't worth it to me to try and drag a bat or pair of Thome's cleats into the ballpark for a free auto. attempt - especially when the park probably would not allow me to do it as it would be deemed a "weapon." Comerica is in a better spot than Tiger Stadium no doubt as that was located in a crack and drug filled, crime laiden area. Comerica is right downtown, but... take a few steps out of the streetlight and you are back in a similar situation.Not a good idea to walk around with expensive GU stuff for a "chance" at an autograph in a mob of people. Just not worth the hassle.

I did the Florida stuff back then too. That was fun. Only issues there were the jerks. I remember Gary Carter finally coming over to sign, then when other fans came over he got pissed and started screaming at me. That was an isolated incident as most games were very laid back and fan friendly atmospheres. That too was before I had a family. Now the attractions are our destination, as they should be, and the paid show is my platform and my decision as to whether I pay the freight. At $400 for 2 Thome pieces of equipment, I will decline...

Banned

Most of this discussion is regarding baseball player signing fees. I collect signed NFL memorabilia, and you MLB guys need to consider yourselves lucky. Fees for football players are SIGNIFICANTLY higher.

I just paid to have a LaDainian Tomlinson game issued throwback helmet signed and the total freight was about $200. Yes, he's hot right now, but a number of other former and current NFL'ers charge in that vicinity.

Funny part was I live just north of San Diego and the private signing was with Radtke Sports in Georgia. They required I ship the helmet to GA, they then shipped it to SD for the undisclosed signing with LT, shipped it back to GA, and now it's on its way home. Crazy.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mvandor View Post
    Most of this discussion is regarding baseball player signing fees. I collect signed NFL memorabilia, and you MLB guys need to consider yourselves lucky. Fees for football players are SIGNIFICANTLY higher.

I just paid to have a LaDainian Tomlinson game issued throwback helmet signed and the total freight was about $200. Yes, he's hot right now, but a number of other former and current NFL'ers charge in that vicinity.

Funny part was I live just north of San Diego and the private signing was with Radtke Sports in Georgia. They required I ship the helmet to GA, they then shipped it to SD for the undisclosed signing with LT, shipped it back to GA, and now it's on its way home. Crazy.
    Let me correct the term game issued, it was a slip from my wishful thinking memory banks. Let's call it a REALLY good knockoff.

The guy who sets up signings here in my area (Phoenix) was just telling me earlier this week about some of the agents, like Scott Boras, with whom he has to deal, with many players. The younger players, especially, are apt to have been told by their agents, "Don't talk to anyone, don't sign anything, don't agree to sign anything, without going through me."

One of our current rookie phenoms, Justin Upton, hasn't done a signing yet because his agent wants an obscene amount of money assured before he'll let him do it. I gather that Stephen Drew was initially the same way, though he seems to have pretty well chilled out lately. (I also wonder whether the fact that both guys have older brothers - B.J. and J.D., respectively - in the Majors, no doubt giving their younger siblings the benefit of their experience and trying to protect them, might have something to do with it.)

Eric Byrnes, on the other hand, told the promoter, "Don't talk to my agent, talk to me. I decide who I'll deal with and what I'll do, not him."

A Jim Thome genuine signed baseball would sell for around $15-30 on eBay, an index card perhaps $ and a quality MLB retail jersey perhaps $75. I have no idea why someone would pay $400 to get his autograph.

I would love to know where you can get a legit Thome ball for $15-30.........I'd buy a bunch. As for the $400 for the 2 items, if you want a quality auto. You'll probably have to pay. I personally have never paid for a Thome