Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What % of your collections value are you about to lose?

when this report hits the street? Anyone with substantial $ modern player game used holdings could be in for a financial horse whipping!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21270578/

Re: What % of your collections value are you about to lose?

0 %, because over the last 10 years I have sold off my collection including a Roger Clemens Boston Home 1985 GU jersey. It is sad that steroid use seems to really hurt how a player is viewed. Is it going to become a those guys were guilty and those guys were clean when we look back at this era?

Richard

That Clemens jersey sounds incredible, yet I feel strongly he's among the LONG list of cheaters. Probably smart to divest these items from a purely financial perspective. And with the HUGE money some of the game used items is selling for, how can you NOT look at the financial ramifications (unless your name is Bill Gates)?

One has to look at the reasons behind the rampant usage of Steroids in Baseball....

I opine that the strikes in 1981 and 1994 were a major factor. How one asks?

Simple, the owners (especially after the 1994 strike season or lack of) pretty much turned their collective backs and let the juice flow in an effort to create more runs and excitement in an attempt to bring back the attendance.

There is no doubt that home runs were being hit at a prodigious rate in the late 1990's, with 1998 being the pinnacle year.

Sure, the players were the ones injecting or digesting the stuff, but with the blessings of the owners, managers, trainers, and whoever.

Was it right, hell no, but it happened and is still happening, especially when Million dollar contracts are at stake and the technology to beat the tests are getting better, players will take the risk vs. reward road.

People vilified Jose Canseco for his coming out and exposing this epidemic, but in reality he did the right thing (if not for the wrong reasons).

I'm still seeing known juicers stuff commanding big bucks even after they have been exposed and time will forgive many of them, but not all.

Will my collection take a hit, maybe, but I don't think I have too many juicers in my collection as I don't have but a few superstar items, and they are mostly autographs or batting gloves or such that I didn't pay for (were given to me directly by the players).

I would have to think that most of the known or suspected juicers have cleaned up their act and will pass a test and most peoples collections will be spared an economic bust.

The good side of all of this will be a cleaner and more real game for all and that in the end will be the golden lining to all of this....
    Always looking for Dodger Game Used Jerseys

It was all part of an era in baseball - and someday, maybe steroids will be accepted as a medical miracle as Canseco claims.

I could care less about the report. Truth is some very good players are going to be named, and if one of my guys (Pujols, for instance) is on the report, I will not do anything with his stuff. In 100 years, nobody will care.

It is a part of history, that was very exciting for baseball...and many other sports. It's not like they bet on baseball.

Some of you will say cheating is cheating...but this viewpoint of mine is stricly from a collector's eye. As a baseball fan, I could do without the controversy.

Dave

I just have to hope and pray my boy Manny has nothing to do with this crap...
    Jon
    Always looking for Manny Ramirez game used items

I think you can assume that almost any "name" player is cheating. The clean list would be VERY short IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by byergo View Post
    I think you can assume that almost any "name" player is cheating. The clean list would be VERY short IMHO.
    I beg to differ with you...I certainly think there are many players who are roiding, but not as many now as there was just a few years ago...the home run totals will bear that out.

However, I checked my stuff and I have a nice GU Auto'd Canseco Batting Glove to go with a nice GU Signed Pair of Batting Gloves from McGwire that I could auction off as the Juice Brothers....
    Always looking for Dodger Game Used Jerseys

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...d_for_steroids

Check out this list of players who have been suspended for steriod use.

The only big name on the list is Palmeiro. With all these non-star players it's hard to believe there are no star players juicing up.

We all know MLB is hiding and protecting the stars from being exposed because when we find out some of the biggest names putting up the biggest numbers and who fill up the seats in the ball parks are on steriods, MLB will stand to lose some serious money.

I personally never brought a ticket to see a Mets game to see Mota or Heredia play.

David

The Mitchell investigation list of names will be very intresting. The list of players who have already been suspended is a joke. I think either major league baseball protected the stars and sold out the no names or these no names good buy the good stuff (undetectable). How can we assume the top sluggers such as Bonds, Sosa, Mcgwire, Palmeiro, Giambi, Clemens took steroids or HGH and nobody else.
    How can you think AROD's not taking anything and he puts up monster numbers? Although steroids don't necessarily make you big, AROD's a lot bigger than he was when he broke into the league. I wouldn't be suprised at all to see Manny, Ortiz, Garciapara, Gagne, Thome, Randy Johnson, Mark Prior, on that list.

Will major league baseball protect these stars and not name them? If AROD's name is on the list how will affect MLB? Arod in getting a new contract?