Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

REA blog: Michael Jordan Jersey Authentication Story: 90% of Value Vanishes

Re: REA blog: Michael Jordan Jersey Authentication Story: 90% of Value Vanishes

Good story. I think the font on these jerseys discussed here before..The problem I know of is on the "j" in Jordan (doesn't loop up enough). here is a picture of what it should look like. I also think that the arch and size of the letters are is incorrect:

I also have the same exact jersey in my collection and I have been told by other Jordan collectors that my jersey might have been made for MJ but never worn, therefore, the jersey was classified as game issued. The other issue was that the NOB where the letter "J" and the "N" are both arched, whereas mine is not arched.

http://www.kaboodle.com/jordan23coll...sey-and-shorts

Grey Flannel just sold a similar jersey in their last Basketball Hall of Fame Auction with the description 1992 Michael Jordan Olympic Dream Team Game-Used Jersey (Impeccable Provenance) - Lot # 154 for $16K

Heritage Auctions is also offering the same jersey in their 2007 October Signature Sports Collectibles Auction - Session II #708 - Lot 19879 with the same jersey characteristics, however this is a size 48.

http://sports.ha.com/common/view_ite...8&Lot_No=19879

There is another site (mjauthentic.com) were I saw the Blue Olympic Jersey wherein the NOB is arched and this was sold for around $19K.

http://www.mjauthentic.com/jerseys.htm

I really don't know how many White Olympic game worn jerseys are out there and I commend MEARS for the providing the true facts about this jersey.

Regards,
    jordan23collectibles

is this the same jersey that is now in Heritages auction?

No, it has the same characteristics as the one showed on the REA blog, however, the size is 48

here is the 92 jordan olympic "gamer" that gfc recently sold:

it's really difficult for me to think that the jerseys jordan wore in the 92 olympics aren't sitting in jordan's personal collection.

anyway:
    http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_f...ead.php?t=8348

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_f...ead.php?t=1799

rudy.

robert edwards auctions states:

"The following is the catalog description for a 1992 Michael Jordan Olympic Jersey that will appear in the spring 2008 REA auction...
    This jersey was personally donated by Michael Jordan to a Ronald McDonald charity auction in 1993, where it sold for $19,500. The Ronald McDonald House was a favorite charity of Michael Jordan and he was always very generous to their efforts with his time and support. The jersey is accompanied by a letter from Ronald McDonald Children’s Charity of North Carolina, dated August 3, 1993 and provided at the time of its initial purchase, which states in part: “This letter is to verify that Ronald McDonald Children’s Charity of North Carolina, did, in fact, receive a Michael Jordan Authentic White 1992 Summer Olympics Game used Jersey.”..Our consignor originally wanted to consign this jersey to our April 2007 auction,..It should be noted that our consignor, after receiving all of the above information, was given the option by REA of having the jersey returned to him. We also gave him the option of auctioning the jersey properly described. To his credit, he accepted all of the above facts stoically and insisted that we sell the jersey properly described, even though he realizes that it will now sell for a small fraction of what he paid for it. We believe that some unscrupulous individuals would have taken the jersey back and sold it privately, without mentioning the MEARS report. Our consignor chose the high road."

currently, heritage auctions has a 1992 jordan olympic gamer up for auction. see here:
    http://sports.ha.com/common/view_ite...8&Lot_No=19879

the description reads:
    "Exceptional provenance is likewise supplied, with a 1993 letter (complete with postmarked envelope) from "Ronald McDonald Children's Charities of North Carolina, Inc." which states, "To Whom It May Concern: This letter is to verify that Ronald McDonald Children's Charities of North Carolina, did, in fact, receive a Michael Jordan Authentic White 1992 Summer Olympics Game used Jersey. The jersey was purchased from us by Ron Marth for $19,500."

they are different jerseys. what am i missing here? 2 jordan jerseys, donated by jordan to the ronald mcdonald house, and both sold for exactly $19,500 and both letters are dated august 3? same consigner?

here is the letter given to robert edwards:

rudy.

Rudy,
    Did you ask Heritage about this very strange coincidence? I guess only the mysterious Ron Marth could shed some light on this.

Mike

robert edwards' previous 92 jordan olympic gamer that sold in a 2007 auction for $38,187.50. it came with a letter from the Michael Jordan Foundation. REA notes that "This is one of only two Michael Jordan white mesh 1992 Olympic jerseys in existence. The other example was sold in 1999 at a Ronald McDonald Charity auction and was later displayed in 2001 at the Museum of Science and Industry, located in Chicago, as part of a special Michael Jordan exhibit that ran from May through November of that year."

heritage's current 92 jordan olympic gamer:

jordan23collectibles' 92 jordan "game issue":

rudy.

note the differences in font from REA's previous 92 jordan gamer and the one GFC recently auctioned off. most notably seen in the "N". the nob on REA's is a true vertical arch. GFC's isn't.

photos of jordan and his teammates from the olympics show a very pronounced vertical arch. the only jersey i can see in this thread that really comes close is REA's previous jersey that sold for $38k with a letter from the Jordan Foundation.

rudy.