Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Billy Martin 1977 Yankees World Series Game Worn Jersey

Banned

Re: Billy Martin 1977 Yankees World Series Game Worn Jersey

Who's the creative genius who included this line in the Steiner description, "You will not find Billy Martin game-used items ANYWHERE!"

Should it actually indicate you will not find any additional Martin items offered from Steiner, or is this creative line included to add to the scarcity of this particular jersey?

I'll agree....Martin game used items are not flooding the market, however, they are certainly not impossible to locate and have been offered by all of the major auction houses in past auctions.

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net

As a Yankee fan, all I can say is "WOW".......what a neat piece!

Today's NY Post story on this auction:
    http://www.nypost.com/seven/10162007...am_auction.htm

One just ended in Mastro recently

Always looking for game used San Diego Chargers items...

I actually read the article on the Wire and what astonishes me is the fact that this piece exists. I suspect that I’m a little older than most of the people posting and recall the summer of 1977. I can tell you that the city was living in fear and tension, there was a real sense of urgency to solve the crime and put the people that were responsible away for life (I still believe more than one person was involved). In my eyes, and through the eyes of people who are truly associated with New York, we understand that this piece is apart of the cities history, a piece of Americana.

What surprises me even more is the negativity posted on these bulletins. In my travels of collecting sports and Americana memorabilia, I often look to this forum as a place to obtain knowledge and gauge the interest in the collectible community. Here we stand, with our hobby being featured, in a positive light, in some of the biggest daily publications across the country, and all I can find are posts related to a sentence in the description!

Guys, look at the piece for what it is! This was the jersey that Billy Martin wore in his only World Series victory! The Yankees winning the World Series that year wasn’t a victory in sports, it was a chance for the people of the city to temporally get away from the fear and tension that ravaged our city for close to an entire year. Those pinstripes represent a leader who was surrounded in controversy but had a true passion for what he did and didn;t let go of his dream; those pinstripes represent a manager who took a city and put it on his back and brought glory and happiness back to the streets of New York…When we needed it most!

I commend Robert Violante for sharing his prized possession with the world. This jersey could have been locked away in some closet but instead Mr. Violante chose to relinquish his prized possession so that our hobby can be exposed to a real collectible….He gave this hobby fuel to grow and flourish!