Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
    Banned

How can people be so stupid??

This Larry Bird jersey card, with a cut out NBA Logo, and an autograph, and of course a 1/1 stamped on it, just went for 3550.00! Are you kidding me? You can get a late in his career game used jersey of Bird for less than that-and have him autograph it for 115.00-and you'd have the WHOLE jersey. Not just some worthless cut out NBA LOGO. I just don't get it at all. What a waste of good money. See scans. Which would you rather have??
    Greg
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Re: How can people be so stupid??

Yeah that's crazy. I never understood the intrest in game used cards. I see 1/1's all the time go for what you could get a full jersey for. Unreal.

I remember about 5 years ago, I saw a Chipper Jones game worn jersey card on eBay with a 1x1 inch piece of the All Star Game patch (and this is from a regular season jersey) and the card sold for over $500. Now you can get the whole thing for not too much more. It confuses me as well but collectors will be collectors

Plus, I don't get that George Washington Topps card with a piece of his hair that sold recently on eBay for $8,000. I remember seeing on eBay awhile back well-documented strands of his hair for under $1,000 so these card companies must be doing SOMETHING to be making collectors pay so much more for these things.

I just don't think they know any better (to buy the real deal that is). These cards are just more visible (Ebay). Bird's gameused jerseys do not come up for sale on Ebay like the cards do.
    Broncos middle linebacker.....Joe Mays!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Collecting - Tyrone Braxton (Broncos 87-93 Dolphins 94 Broncos 95-99), Phil Hansen (Bills 91-01), Steve Nelson (Patriots 74-87), Stacy Robinson (Giants 85-90), Kevin Donnalley (Patriots 1981), Lamar Gordon (Rams 02-03, Dolphins 04, Eagles 05, Lions 06), Jared Peck (Falcons 2004), Craig Dahl (Giants 2007-08, Rams 2009-10), Joe Mays (Eagles 2008-09, Broncos 2010), & Dick Hanson (Giants 1971) among others. :rolleyes:

I have a buddy that still collects cards - and for player collectors, this type of card is a MUST HAVE. I quit collecting cards seriously a while ago...they seemed like a toilet investment at the time, and I liked the GU stuff better for the price.

His counter is that I will eventually run out of space for my collection and make my wife mad - while his fits neatly into binders, and cvan be easily hidden from her

I guess if you are that obsessive about cards and a certain player, then you feel compelled to spend a few grand on a sticker auto and teeny little logo patch.

You're right, I don't get it either.

Dave