X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mvandor
    Banned
    • Apr 2007

Re: Skyrocketing Signatures

Most of this discussion is regarding baseball player signing fees. I collect signed NFL memorabilia, and you MLB guys need to consider yourselves lucky. Fees for football players are SIGNIFICANTLY higher.

I just paid to have a LaDainian Tomlinson game issued throwback helmet signed and the total freight was about $200. Yes, he's hot right now, but a number of other former and current NFL'ers charge in that vicinity.

Funny part was I live just north of San Diego and the private signing was with Radtke Sports in Georgia. They required I ship the helmet to GA, they then shipped it to SD for the undisclosed signing with LT, shipped it back to GA, and now it's on its way home. Crazy.

Comment

• mvandor
      Banned
      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by mvandor
      Most of this discussion is regarding baseball player signing fees. I collect signed NFL memorabilia, and you MLB guys need to consider yourselves lucky. Fees for football players are SIGNIFICANTLY higher.

I just paid to have a LaDainian Tomlinson game issued throwback helmet signed and the total freight was about $200. Yes, he's hot right now, but a number of other former and current NFL'ers charge in that vicinity.

Funny part was I live just north of San Diego and the private signing was with Radtke Sports in Georgia. They required I ship the helmet to GA, they then shipped it to SD for the undisclosed signing with LT, shipped it back to GA, and now it's on its way home. Crazy.
      Let me correct the term game issued, it was a slip from my wishful thinking memory banks. Let's call it a REALLY good knockoff.

Comment

• godwulf
        • Aug 2007

The guy who sets up signings here in my area (Phoenix) was just telling me earlier this week about some of the agents, like Scott Boras, with whom he has to deal, with many players. The younger players, especially, are apt to have been told by their agents, "Don't talk to anyone, don't sign anything, don't agree to sign anything, without going through me."

One of our current rookie phenoms, Justin Upton, hasn't done a signing yet because his agent wants an obscene amount of money assured before he'll let him do it. I gather that Stephen Drew was initially the same way, though he seems to have pretty well chilled out lately. (I also wonder whether the fact that both guys have older brothers - B.J. and J.D., respectively - in the Majors, no doubt giving their younger siblings the benefit of their experience and trying to protect them, might have something to do with it.)

Eric Byrnes, on the other hand, told the promoter, "Don't talk to my agent, talk to me. I decide who I'll deal with and what I'll do, not him."
        Jeff
        godwulf1@cox.net

Comment

• David
          • Sep 2024

A Jim Thome genuine signed baseball would sell for around $15-30 on eBay, an index card perhaps $ and a quality MLB retail jersey perhaps $75. I have no idea why someone would pay $400 to get his autograph.

Comment

• thomecollector
            • May 2006

I would love to know where you can get a legit Thome ball for $15-30.........I'd buy a bunch. As for the $400 for the 2 items, if you want a quality auto. You'll probably have to pay. I personally have never paid for a Thome
            Roger Ward- Thomecollector
            thomecollector@verizon.net

Comment

• skyking26
              • Dec 2005

But I am not bosum pals with Jim on a personal level like you, Roger. I am a sniveling piece of s*it lowlife fan who just wants a couple of things signed...
              ROBERT KOPPEL
              Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,
              and 1968, 1984, HOF Tigers GU Bats...Skyking442@hotmail.com

Comment

• bigjimsguitars
                • Sep 2007

Originally posted by skyking26
                But I am not bosum pals with Jim on a personal level like you, Roger. I am a sniveling piece of s*it lowlife fan who just wants a couple of things signed...
                I'm with you, it's just too much money to spend for a couple of signatures, but it would be nice to get them and in person so you can interface with Mr. Thome albeit for a few seconds...

I can still remember when Lenny Harris was with the Dodgers and I had one of his rookie bats from when he was with the Reds and handed it to him to sign and he gripped it and swung it a few times and said, man that one had some hits left in it (it has a slight crack) and just smiled and then signed it for me...

Still have that bat and the memories of him remembering the bat....
                Always looking for Dodger Game Used Jerseys

Comment

• thomecollector
                  • May 2006

BOB,
                  WTF ?????

Comment

• thomecollector
                    • May 2006

I WAS JUST SAYING THAT YOU HAVE A BETTER CHANCE OF GETTING A NICE AUTO. AGAIN, WTF ?????

Comment

• bigtruck260
                      • Sep 2007

In STL, Willie McGee is royalty...though I hear in CA, he is just another ballplayer. Anyway, in MO, he commands $100 for a bat. I thought the price was a little steep until I brandished my bat for him to sign - and his face LIT UP like a little kid. He rubbed his fingers across the handle (where he grooved it) and turned it over a few times before telling me the exact year he used it ('96). Here is a photo of that day and that big Willie smile...in this case, it was worth the $$ just to interact with a classy guy like #51.
                      Attached Files
                      Dave
                      Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
                      River City Redbird Authentics
                      http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

sigpic

Comment

• skyking26
                        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by thomecollector
                        I WAS JUST SAYING THAT YOU HAVE A BETTER CHANCE OF GETTING A NICE AUTO. AGAIN, WTF ?????
                        Not for $400. Who's sensitive now??? Some of us just don't have the connections. Just stating the facts, no offense.
                        ROBERT KOPPEL
                        Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,

Comment

• thomecollector
                          • May 2006

Originally posted by skyking26
                          Not for $400. Who's sensitive now??? Some of us just don't have the connections. Just stating the facts, no offense.
                          I'M NOT THE SENSITIVE ONE. I HAVE NO CONNECTIONS. I JUST TEND TO FOCUS ALL OF MY ATTENTION ON ONE PARTICULAR PLAYER. JUST LIKE YOU USED TO DO WITH KINGMAN....NO OFFENSE.

Comment

• skyking26
                            • Dec 2005

I'M NOT THE SENSITIVE ONE. I HAVE NO CONNECTIONS. I JUST TEND TO FOCUS ALL OF MY ATTENTION ON ONE PARTICULAR PLAYER. JUST LIKE YOU USED TO DO WITH KINGMAN....NO OFFENSE.
                            I know there is a jab here - but I don't see it. I have no reason to take offense. I also see no reason to have other interests. It makes one well rounded...
                            ROBERT KOPPEL

Comment

• skyking26
                              • Dec 2005

You're just upset because Cleveland tanked. My name's not Joel Skinner...
                              ROBERT KOPPEL

Comment

• both-teams-played-hard
                                • Nov 2005

Originally posted by WHAlers
                                I have always preferred that game worn jerseys and game used equipment to be maintained in their original unautographed condition. I beleive that keeping the items in their original condition maintains the integrety of the item. You don't see game used / game worn items in any of the Hall of Fames displayed with autographs on them. I would say, get a photograph or baseball signed by the player and then display it next to his game equipment.
                                I agree. Did you guys miss the numerous threads about removing autographs from mesh or knit fabric?
                                As for photo-ops...In 1985, my dad's only son was lucky enough to get this photo:

Comment

Working...