Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Re: How do card companies get game used items?

And the really scary thing is, if you can find issues with a SWATCH, imagine the issues you might find if you could view the entire jersey. And the sad fact is, with the swatch cards, there is almost no way of ever determining authenticity. That could be a piece of Babe Ruth's jersey or it could be a piece of grandpa's flannel boxer shorts. You are never going to know. So the cards are worth only what value or trust you put into a COA. Which to me, ain't much.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jags Fan Dan View Post
    . That could be a piece of Babe Ruth's jersey or it could be a piece of grandpa's flannel boxer shorts. You are never going to know. So the cards are worth only what value or trust you put into a COA. Which to me, ain't much.
    Heeeeeeey my grandpas flannel boxers are worth a lot ill sell you a pair for $1.99, he wore them for a whole year and shows plenty of use lol lol

I guess this is also a good thread to post bad swatches... Go nuts.
    Always looking for game used San Diego Chargers items...

I know some of the high end jerseys in the Barry Halper/Sotheby's auction were won by card companies. I believe this includes the Ty Cobb Athletics jersey.

when i was staying over jay gibbons house a card company sent him two of every game used item they made of him the thing is all of his jerseys he ever wore were in a box in his basement and the only other one he ever gave away was to me he was asking how they made game used jersey cards when he has all of his jerseys i saw the box it was loaded with jerseys.he also said bat cards he does not know where they got the bats from .i do have a contract he signed with donruss explaning to him they will pay him $10,000 to sign about 2500 cards

Here a 2002 Donruss Elite Throwback Threads game-worn memorabilia card #TT-14 of quarterback Craig Morton… A caption above the photo on the back reads, "This is a photo of the actual jersey from which this swatch was taken."

The card’s photo depicts the a jersey which was sold at an American Memorabilia auction in 2000 as identified by the unique auto/inscription on the back which denoted it as being “Super Bowl XII game-worn”. While it cannot be discerned by the card’s photo of the back of the jersey, when auctioned by AMI, the catalog clearly showed the blue/red on white Russell Athletic manufacturer’s tagging on the front of this jersey, which dated the jersey style to post-1983--A jersey not only manufactured six years after Super Bowl XII, but also at least one full year after Morton’s 1982 retirement.

There was a bit of ironic justice in knowing that this one, which Donruss had shelled out in excess of $2,200 to obtain, had been chopped up into tiny little swatches.

Best regards,
    Patrick W. Scoggin
    Endzone Sports Charities
    www.EndzoneSportsCharities.org

I check the Beckett site every once in while. There are always post on there linking to auctions on ebay where there are cards with fake patches on them. Not saying this one is, but apprently there are alot of folks that have figured out how to cut up a patch or piece of a jersey and put multi colored patches on the card. Of course the multi colored pieces sell for alot more then single color cards.

I've never understood why a card company doesn't start putting coupons for the actual jersey in card packs. I think this would be a big hit. Instead of getting a piece you get the entire jersey with a letter from the company when it was game used.

Anyone remember the Manny Ramirez Corked Bat Card.

http://www.beckett.com/estore/news/?...beckett&a=1076

In my opinion, all game used memorabilia in sports cards should only come from the teams themselves, back up by an LOA.

How do card companies get game used items??? They go to a sports store and buy a few jerseys. Well atleast sometimes it seems like thats what there doing.