Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Thread: Hockey

Hybrid View

Re: Hockey

Hockey is what I started out collecting back in the early 90's. I have a modest collection of game worn goalie jerseys, mostly backups ,as well as some auto'ed pucks , goal sticks, and goalie photos. I have a very cool Andy Brown game used Northland goalie stick from '71-'72 season.
    Paul

I collect Rangers pugilists from my younger days and old-time EHL particularly Long Island Ducks related.

Hockey is my main focus and I have over 40 game worn Boston Bruins jerseys including 9 Ray Bourques and 5 Cam Neelys. I have included a link to my Webshots site for anyone who cares to take a look.
    http://community.webshots.com/user/bruinscollector

Since this is hockey talk, I have a question. Gretzky game used sticks have a shaved down Jack the gripper knob on them. Have you ever seen one where the Jack the GRipper logo is not on them? The stick I have in question is a Silver Aluminum Easton stick, it has the shaved down knob, but it doesn't have the logo on it????

Post here or email me

Bill
    rangersstars@yahoo.com

OK - so I am a bat guy - and have been for over 20 years. I also have a bunch of Yankees jerseys from the 70's and early 80's - a few years ago I started with one hockey jersey and I was hooked. While growing up on Long Island, I became a huge hockey fan - and in the early 70's, they were giving away tickets to both Islanders and Nets games when the franchises were started.

My first jersey was an early 80's Ken Morrow Islanders jersey. Since I never will be able to find or afford a jersey from a member of the 1980 Olympic hockey team - the Morrow jersey was a double whammy for me - a player from the Islanders Stanley Cup teams who also played on the 1980 Olympic team. I am hooked on vintage hockey jerseys. What I like about hockey jerseys is that you can see - touch - smell - feel - the ooze and remnants of game use - unlike baseball, that's for sure.........So I have crossed over to the dark side from baseball - you baseball guys should give it a shot...........Jim

I also have an Easton game used Gretzky stick. It has the gripper, but does not have a Jack the Gripper logo. I did a lot of research on gamewornjerseys.com and gameworn.net and learned that he did in fact use sticks without that logo. I would do topic searches of Gretzky sticks on each of those sites to learn more about them. Like this site does for the other 3 major sports, there is a wealth of information about hockey collectibles on both of those sites.

Having collected sports memorabilia for the past 30 years, starting with cards as a young kid and moving toward game used stuff as an adult, I got heavily involved with hockey stuff because of the fact that the stuff was "safer." I have ventured back into football and baseball, but am very, very careful about getting items that come directly from the teams, via companies like Game Exclusives and Steiner. I might get back into basketball, now that MeiGray's involved, but we'll see.

The great thing about hockey is that it's easy to photomatch stuff. Two of my favorite items are a rookie Chris Pronger and a 1995-96 Roenick. I have a dvd of a Whalers vs. Penguins game that clearly shows Pronger wearing my jersey. The black stick marks make matching very easy in many cases. My Blackhawks Roenick is photomatched to a card. It has over 30 team repairs on it and conclusively matches up to marks on the white shoulder numbers. I have pics of the Roenick match on my webshots page. Feel free to check them out.

The great thing about sites like this one is the wealth of information that is shared. However, nothing compares to the feeling a collector gets when he is able to conclusively match a jersey to a video or a photo. Without question, hockey jerseys are the easiest to match. Maybe that's part of the reason why collecting hockey jerseys is so popular....

http://community.webshots.com/user/Reed97

here is a jersey that took me literally years to obtain...it has to be one of the best Kings gamers out there...the wear is fantastic and in all the right places...hopefully these pics will come out
    Attached Images Attached Images