Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Authentication Lie Pictures

Last week I posted about purchasing a 500 homerun club signed baseball from a local Sports Card Store. The ball was authenticated by STAT Authentic, which I never heard of so like any smart investor, I had the ball examined by James Specer. Spencer ruled the ball was a fake. Below are pictures of the ball.

What are your opinions? Real or fake? Help !!!
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Re: Authentication Lie Pictures

If my memory is correct STAT was (is) a company that authenticated sigs at the actual signing. Sigs look legit in my opinion, and I've seen alot of those sigs over the years, but dont take my word for it.

Jim

Do you mean James Spence? And if the signs aren't real, they are a darn good fake.

These balls are evrywhere on ebay and in in my opinion the signatures are bad fakes especially the Killebrew and Mantle.

Regards,
    Dave

Those signatures look like they may have been done by the Marino guy that was caught forging so much. There was a video on here that had a little bit about him on it.

That is if these signatures are fake...They look pretty good to me though. The only one that I see that might be bad is the Frank Robinson....

The more I look at the photo's, the more I think they are all bad.

Banned

The Ted Williams is the only one that has the appearance of being real, and thus could go either way.

The rest are forgeries.

That is not a legitimate 500 HR club ball. It might have started out as a single signed Ted Williams and someone added the rest.

Sorry.

Most anyone in the hobby is going to take Spence's opinion over Stat's.

Harmon Killebrew would never sign his name like that.

Killebrew looks bad - but IMO Aaron and Banks look pretty darn good.
    Get a second opinion. Did Spence say all of the sigs were fake, or did one bad one ruin the whole ball?

This is the problem with having team items authenticated. I have had a couple rejected because one or two "looked" bad. I also have items that I have kept in my collection because I completely disagreed with PSA, etc.

Here are photos of two Pujols sigs that failed PSA...FYI I got one from Heather Morris (Matt Morris's wife) at a annual Breast Cancer card sale at Busch before a Yankees Game - the green card came directly from Cards VP John Mozeliak after the first one came back as a "fake" (I told him about it, and he said he understood, but was 100% certain Albert signed all 100 of his cards that day). Both are real IMO - I have seen literally THOUSANDS of Albert's sigs from every year. Different styles, but both legit. Pujols is not the type of person who would have someone else sign his stuff for him....reagardless, both failed. Spence is coming to town on Dec. 1 - and I am having him look at them to see what he says. If they are rejected again, I am writing off authentication altogether.

FYI - my rule of thumb is that if I need authentication for an item - I stay the heck away. I don't buy anything I can't identify as authentic myself.
    Attached Images Attached Images