Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Rawling Baseball Production

Cannot believe I stumped this whole group

Does anyone know the MLB practice for transition of baseballs to a new league president?

Here is the scenario.

AL owners elect Gene Budig as league president‚ replacing Bobby Brown, on June 8, 1994.

Alex Rodriguez debut in the majors on July 8, 1994.

My question is what ball did Alex Rodriguez see in his first at bat:
    a) A Bobby Brown American League Ball
    b) A Gene Budig American League Ball

I guess my question is does anyone know if they start producing the new balls with the new American League President during the season or do they wait for the following year.

Banned

Re: Rawling Baseball Production

I would assume that they would not produce the new baseballs until the following season.

In Chronological Order
    NameTerm
    B. Bancroft "Ban" Johnson
    1901 to 1927
    Ernest S. Barnard
    1927 to 1931
    William Harridge
    1931 to 1959
    Joseph E. "Joe" Cronin
    1959 to 1973
    Leland S. MacPhail, Jr.
    1974 to 1984
    Robert W. Brown
    1984 to 1994
    Gene A. Budig
    1994 to 1999

Quote Originally Posted by AstrosCollector View Post
    I would assume that they would not produce the new baseballs until the following season.
    You are correct!

Quote Originally Posted by joelsabi View Post
    Cannot believe I stumped this whole group
    You will never stup this whole group. The answer will show up sooner or later.

Gene Budig baseballs came into use in 1995

Factor Four The item that the signatures are signed on will also determine the price. It could also aid in determining if the signature is authentic. Was the item signed produced during the players life time? In the example of a signed baseball. Take note of the league president on the ball. Mickey Mantle signed very few Gene Budig baseballs which came into use in 1995, the year Mantle died. He was also very ill that year and didn't sign often. Although it is possible to have one it is unlikely, and should at least send up a red flag.

Source: http://keymancollectibles.com/keymanletter6.htm

I have a game used ball from August 1, 1994 which was Cal Ripken Jr.'s 2000th consecutive game in Minneapolis & it is a Bobby Brown ball.

Quote Originally Posted by 3arod13 View Post
    You will never stup this whole group. The answer will show up sooner or later.

Gene Budig baseballs came into use in 1995

I didnt think would stump the group but gave a motivational statement to get an answer.

My hunch is the same as the first response since the transition was at the end of the year. the ripken ball example verifies that this correct.

actually your ball was the reason for the question as am actively look for one.

I have found 3 other arod balls with bobby brown. I found one similar to yours in a hall of fame collectors collection and two on ebay but the autograph looks like his autograph in 1996. Also saw an identical signature ball but on a budig ball but was wondering if i should settle for this or search longer for a bobby brown ball.

this discussion leads to think i want a bobby brown ball.

thanks for everyone's input.

PS. 3arod13 is your arod ball for sale any time soon? also i think thats arod sister in the background and i can take a photo of arod high school program that shows what the ring looks like if you want. email me.

Quote Originally Posted by ironmanfan View Post
    I have a game used ball from August 1, 1994 which was Cal Ripken Jr.'s 2000th consecutive game in Minneapolis & it is a Bobby Brown ball.

the concrete evidence i needed. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 3arod13 View Post
    Factor Four The item that the signatures are signed on will also determine the price. It could also aid in determining if the signature is authentic. Was the item signed produced during the players life time? In the example of a signed baseball. Take note of the league president on the ball. Mickey Mantle signed very few Gene Budig baseballs which came into use in 1995, the year Mantle died. He was also very ill that year and didn't sign often. Although it is possible to have one it is unlikely, and should at least send up a red flag.

Source: http://keymancollectibles.com/keymanletter6.htm
    Great reference website.
    I guess a Fifth Factor would be mismatching. If Alex Rodriguez never saw a Bobby Brown baseball in his professional career than this would be a mismatch. The signature would be authentic but on a mismatxh ball. Another example is have Arod's signature on a RON league ball but then again thats now thats possible with interleague play.