Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1970's White Sox "Softball" Jersey

I think that's what they call these ayway.

I posted about this under another heading, but thought I should post here as well since Washington is not really thought of as a White Sox guy.

This jersey is owned by a friend of mine. He got it as a gift back in the day from the (then) White Sox photographer, Tony Inzirillo. I am just looking for some info on it for him as he will want to sell it soon.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Scott Harpt
    scott_harpt at yahoo dot com
    Always seeking Cecil Cooper, Ben Oglivie, and Gorman Thomas

Re: 1970's White Sox "Softball" Jersey

You can narrow the jersey year down to 1978, 79 or 80. The flag tag in the collar originally had the year and set number in it, but is most likely washed away. That's a good sign since it would show wear. Based on the pictures, everything from the Capital Ace tag, jersey size and lettering looks good. Hope that helps.

Mike

That helps a great deal Mike. Thank you very much.
    Scott Harpt

Great looking jersey. I love those pajama tops.

Is it just the angle of the photo, or did Washington have his jersey cropped? I realize that these jerseys were worn untucked, but from the photos, it looks like this one would show a little midriff.

Quote Originally Posted by karamaxjoe View Post
    You can narrow the jersey year down to 1978, 79 or 80. The flag tag in the collar originally had the year and set number in it, but is most likely washed away. That's a good sign since it would show wear. Based on the pictures, everything from the Capital Ace tag, jersey size and lettering looks good. Hope that helps.

Mike
    Mike,

You could narrow the year down even further to 1979 or 1980. Rawlings manufactured the white home jerseys for the White Sox in 1978. Capitol Ace did them from 1979-1981 (course you can rule out 1981, as Washington was no longer with the team).

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by edensker View Post
    Great looking jersey. I love those pajama tops.

Is it just the angle of the photo, or did Washington have his jersey cropped? I realize that these jerseys were worn untucked, but from the photos, it looks like this one would show a little midriff.
    It is funny that you mention this. I have tried to purchase 2 of them in the past. Both were the same way. When compared to photos, you could come up with a scale based on the size of the front letters. The two I had both appeared to be shorter than they should have been. I've never been able to figure it out.
    "We need rebirth of the American tradition of leadership ... in private life as well." "'Trust me' government asks that we concentrate our hopes and dreams on one man; that we trust him to do what's best for us. My view of government places trust not in one person or one party, but in those values that transcend persons and parties. The trust is where it belongs--in the people." - Ronald Reagan"

http://www.freewebs.com/chrishwish/

Nick,
    You're technically right about 1978 although I've always been skeptical about the theory that Rawlings supplied jerseys for the White Sox in 1978. It's very difficult to find anything from that year which you can pin point to 1978. If anyone has anything I'd like to see a picture.

Mike

here's yhe link to an earlier forum discussion on these jerseys....

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_f...?t=5489&page=3
    WANTED -1977 Toronto Blue Jays game jersey

chris@pacmedia.ca

Quote Originally Posted by cjw View Post
    here's yhe link to an earlier forum discussion on these jerseys....

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_f...?t=5489&page=3

I remember this thread well...in fact, I started it. I have done a fair bit of research since the thread, and have also since bought 2 more of this type.

In my research, I did find contrary data that Rawlings supplied the jerseys to the team in 1978, not Capital Ace. In fact I sold one of these very recently, and the photos are within the auction. Here is a link to the completed item which shows the Rawlings tag behind the neck. The jersey was worn by Junior Moore, and the jersey could have only been a 1978:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=160161461622

-Nick

Nick,

Having sold simliar jerseys recently, what price do you think my friend should expect tp fetch for the Washington jersey?
    Scott Harpt