Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Broken (not cracked) Bat Repair

Folks -

All-

I have seen a couple useful posts on how to repair cracked bats, but I am gonna take a shot at a bat that is broken in half. I am wondering if epoxy might be a better choice than wood glue for this. It might act as both a filler inside the break and a stronger adhesive.

Also, I wonder if it might be better to set the glue by simply standing the bat vertically on the knob and letting gravity push down while it sets rather than clamping it. Seems like one needs pressure pushing the 2 halves of the bat together, rather than on the sides.

Anyone have success with joining a broken bat in a solid and non-ugly way?

Matt

Re: Broken (not cracked) Bat Repair

Quote Originally Posted by matt View Post
    Folks -

All-

I have seen a couple useful posts on how to repair cracked bats, but I am gonna take a shot at a bat that is broken in half. I am wondering if epoxy might be a better choice than wood glue for this. It might act as both a filler inside the break and a stronger adhesive.

Also, I wonder if it might be better to set the glue by simply standing the bat vertically on the knob and letting gravity push down while it sets rather than clamping it. Seems like one needs pressure pushing the 2 halves of the bat together, rather than on the sides.

Anyone have success with joining a broken bat in a solid and non-ugly way?

Matt
    Matt,
    You need to email Jeff Scott (birdbats), he is outstanding at repairing broken bats. He recently fixed my Kelly Stinnett that was broken in three different pieces. Took major surgery and the bat looks very nice, turned out great.

Don
    woodbat@bellsouth.net

Hello.
    I would use wood glue, not epoxy. Also you will have to clamp the pieces together, gravity itself will not press the 2 pieces together enough. If the glue dries without being clamped, you will be able to simply pull the pieces back apart easily.

Jason

ripken8@bellsouth.net

I have been repairing a lot of bats lately, and largely learning by doing, and finding out that each bat is unique in the way it's broken (or cracked) and in the way that it has to be repaired.

I recently put an Alberto Callaspo Sam bat back together that came to me in three pieces. Elmer's wood glue and lots of padded spring clamps, done in two stages.

I would love to find a website or two that illustrate the experts' ways of doing it...but as long as the experts charge for doing the repairing themselves, and not revealing all of their secrets on the internet, I'd guess there'll be a shortage of those kinds of resources.

Fred Lowman's site has some informative photo's and some brief descriptions of some aspects of repair. Here's a link:

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip...batrepair.html

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

Matt, Jeff Scott has repaired several for me & they have been tough repairs. One was so bad, he had to "weave" it back together. I thought it was missing a strip of wood. The Sosa (pictured) was badly cracked, almost broken in several places. Jeff did an excellent job. Check out the pics...

Sean
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Matt,

Can you show photos of your bat and the type of crack it has? Is it more like the top bat or bottom bat (below)?

Different breaks require different types of repairs, but two things are a given -- use wood glue (I use Titebond II) and use clamps (with rubber pads to protect the wood). I'd never use epoxy and I'd never trust gravity to compress the gaps.

If your bat break is like the top bat, a 36" clamp would help hold it together (clamped end to end). If it's like the bottom bat, a combination of squeeze clamps and/or hose clamps would work best (as seen below).

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thMan View Post
    Matt, Jeff Scott has repaired several for me & they have been tough repairs. One was so bad, he had to "weave" it back together. I thought it was missing a strip of wood. The Sosa (pictured) was badly cracked, almost broken in several places. Jeff did an excellent job. Check out the pics...

Sean
    Wow! That repair on the Rawlings Sosa bat turned out really nice!!!!

Jeff, well done! Truthfully I was a little worried with how that Sosa was going to turn out. Great job!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tim Byington
    Hall of Fame Bats
    tim@hofbats.com

Guys - Thanks for all the great guidance. Since Jeff suggested posting a photo, here is what the patient looks like:

[IMG]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/matt/Local%20Settings/Temporary%20Internet%20Files/OLK11/Picture%20131.jpg[/IMG]

Steiner/MLB Manny bat used in the last few games of the year and broken convincingly on 9/29. Sounds like I should invest in a large 36 inch clamp plus some clamps to compress the break itself...or I should find someone better skilled and pay to get this done properly!

Matt

Jeff,

Nice work. I'm assuming you sand the excess glue after the pieces are set. I know Fred Lowman told me he cannot guarantee taking off some of the pine tar and use during that particular process but can put back some of the tar.

Do you find yourself removing use or tar during your procedure?

Thanks
    David