Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Am I bad person for...

I am selling my Clinton Portis game used jersey on e-bay that I bought from a member of a Redskins fan site and now I am getting pounded by a few of the other members because I am asking for more than I paid for it and I shouldn't have bought it if I wasn't going to keep it forever.

Does buying a jersey for cheap and turning around to sell it for a profit make me a bad person? I didn't orignally plan to sell it, but I've decided to go in a different direction as far as what I collect. I could really care less what they say about me, but I was wondering what you all think.

Re: Am I bad person for...

It sounds to me like you are a good capitalist, and there's nothing wrong with that.

And they wouldn't sell it for a profit if they had a chance to? Okay, I paid say 1000.00 for it, but because I'm a great guy I will let you have it for 800.00 when I think it's worth 1200.00?

The above numbers are examples for illustrative purposes.

It doesn't matter what you paid, but only what it's really worth!

Good luck and I hope it brings you a fair market price for it.
    Always looking for Dodger Game Used Jerseys

I guess it might depend on how exactly the sale went down. If they had a price and you paid it, then I don't see a real problem with it.

Let's say someone has a game worn item that I'm interested in. If I plead with them to lower the price, tell them it's my favorite player, I can only go so high, sob story, etc...only to try and flip the piece for more at some point in the not too distant future, then I think I come off looking bad.

Banned

Tell them to pound sand.

Everything I buy, I buy with the intention of making a profit in the future.

Banned

Toddhead your not doing anything wrong your doing just what any one else would do no one in there right mind sells an item to lose money on it. Now people may sell an item to recover back what they paid but if you can get more for it go right ahead its a little thing called "Business".

Now on the other hand if your selling an item for a lot higher that normally would bring get a lot lower you have to expect some slack from anyone about it, but its your item and depends how bad you want to get rid of it.

Example - if you have an item that you paid $200 for because you really wanted it and the general collecting public may have paid $150 for it don't expect to turn around and sell it for $500, not to say you won't get $500 for it but it is highly unlikely.

Nothing wrong with that. We live in a capitalistic society.

I work in the financial services industry and the whole stock market is based of this very premise and it's what drives our entire economy and well being!

To condemn someone for buying something at a lower price and selling it a higher price is very Anti-American IMHO.

David

Quote Originally Posted by suave1477 View Post
    Toddhead your not doing anything wrong your doing just what any one else would do no one in there right mind sells an item to lose money on it. Now people may sell an item to recover back what they paid but if you can get more for it go right ahead its a little thing called "Business".

Now on the other hand if your selling an item for a lot higher that normally would bring get a lot lower you have to expect some slack from anyone about it, but its your item and depends how bad you want to get rid of it.

Example - if you have an item that you paid $200 for because you really wanted it and the general collecting public may have paid $150 for it don't expect to turn around and sell it for $500, not to say you won't get $500 for it but it is highly unlikely.

Toddhead - Anyone giving you slack for this is crazy. The market will dictate what the item is worth. If you bought the jersey for $ 100.00 and you can sell it for $ 500.00, then the item is worth at least $ 500.00. If your asking price is high and it doesn't sell, then no foul. As for people telling you that you need to keep the item forever, thats a pretty idiotic statement. Good luck with your auction.

Rob L

Banned

Rob L I didnt quite understand why you highlighted my comment wihtin regards to yous but ok

Pound sand

That is a funny statement, I am going to use that

There is nothing wrong with what you are doing