Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Frank Howard bat

http://cgi.ebay.com/Frank-Howard-Was...ayphotohosting, This look OK? I think he didn't have block letters in Detroit, but does this look new to anyone else?

Re: Frank Howard bat

I looked at it and my guess is that it is a late career coach's bat.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Vintagedeputy View Post
    I looked at it and my guess is that it is a late career coach's bat.

Jim
    It is a late career bat, but how can it be a coach's bat when he was still an active player?? His career lasted another year (1973) after the label era of the bat (1969-72).

The appearance of a bat can be decieving, but in this case there are no obvious red flags that would make me think it was anything but what the seller says it is.

The appearance really depends on how the bat has been stored when it was in use as well as how it was stored since it was acquired. If a bat has been left in a shed, garage, damp basement, or barn it is going to look different that if it had been well cared for.

I give it the thumbs up.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tim Byington
    Hall of Fame Bats
    tim@hofbats.com

Here is a little more info for those considering this item.

During the 1969-72 label period, Howard only ordered model R43 bats from H & B. From April, 1969 through 6/9/71, all orders were 36 1/2 inches in length, with the exception of one bat measuring 35 inches.

From 6/28/71 through 9/12/72, approximately 90 % of his orders were 36 inches in length. However, during that period, the only orders for Flame Burned Finish bats after 9/15/71 were dated 4/25/72 (6 bats weighing a whopping 37 oz), and 8/3/72 (11 bats.)

The likely period of production of this bat, based on the model, length, and finish, would be either between 6/28/71 and 9/15/71 (26 bats in 4 separate orders) or one of the two 1972 orders noted above. There is no documentation in Howard's records that the bat would have been produced before 6/28/71.

Good Luck.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com