Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

collection themes

I am new to the forum and am wondering about the various themes that people have for their collections. I did a search for "theme" in the titles to posts in this section, so at the risk of being repetitive, what distinct, narrow theme do you have for your collection?

My goal is to get a game-used bat, jersey or other piece of equipment from every player to appear in at least one game for the Reds in my lifetime (I was born in 1966). I am typically willing to substitute an autographed non-game worn item while the search continues for the oft-elusive game-worn piece.

Re: collection themes

I collect things from Legendary Teams (1934 Cardinals) and items that start from when I became a Cardinals fan. I moved to STL in 1983, and I am trying to collect my favorite players from that era until now. My favorites were not always superstars. I played outfield in little leauge, and my heroes patrolled the turf at Busch Stadium.

I collect players with the same birthday as myself. It takes a little "digging" to find out who they are, but that in it self is lots of fun as well.

My team is the Arizona Diamondbacks, so I'm somewhat fortunate in terms of only have a ten-year history to deal with. Jerseys, bats, etc, from the team's first year ('98) are still fairly obtainable.

The (relatively speaking) older stuff in my collection falls into one of two categories: either gear of former or current DBacks players from other teams they've played on (like the '81 Mike Morgan Yankees jersey - which is both the oldest Major League jersey I own, and the only Yankees item so far permitted in the collection ), or older Baseball stuff that's just too neat to pass up - like the old silver Baseball trophy from Australia that I picked up awhile back - despite having no Diamondbacks connection.

Bats are my first and greatest collecting love, and I try, as much as possible, to get ahold of every different bat, insofar as make and model number, used by a player, for every year they're with the team.

Quote Originally Posted by PK View Post
    I collect players with the same birthday as myself. It takes a little "digging" to find out who they are, but that in it self is lots of fun as well.
    If you go to www.baseballreference.com and find the "frivolities" tab along the left margin, you'll be able to get an entire list of all players born on whatever date you choose.....

Quote Originally Posted by PK View Post
    Thank God I didn't take that route. Roger Clemens was born the same day as me...

I collect items from guys who went to UVa, with an emphasis on the ones who went on to play in the NFL.

I decided to go the route I went as when I started to collect GU items Adrian Cardenas was starting to be in the spotlight. After reading about him, I decided he would be a player that I follow throughout his minor league career (and Major League, assuming he gets there). That's really my theme. Just mainly around the one player and replica bats of all-time greats.

I collect only Washington Nationals game used memorabilia. There is not a lot of good authentic items out there, which makes it even more fun and interesting. It is however, a very expensive hobby.

I once decided I would collect bats from players who I saw hit home runs while I was performing my husbandly duties. But that part of the hobby has really slowed to a crawl in recent years.