Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

AMI Lawrence Taylor

AMI is currently offering a Lawrence Taylor game used jersey in their auction...

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/A...ction_ID=39552

1. Within 2 minutes of looking at all years from Getty, I can't seem to match the font on the front #5

2. all of the getty pictures have a much thicker screened on paint then what AMI is offering

3. also, the AMI shirt has dazzle cloth in the shoulders when getty pics show mesh

can anyone get a copy of Lampsons personal letter or some pictures showing how this jersey can be attributed to the 83-84 season or in fact to any season?

Re: AMI Lawrence Taylor

also notice how in the collar of the AMI jersey the bands meet perfectly at the "V", but in the Getty picture they cross

I don't think the jersey is from 1983 as the Giants wore a black stripe on the sleeve. It might be from 1985. The Giants actually had two models of Champion manufactured jerseys they wore during this period. The other type used, that the players often used on warmer days in 1984 and 1985, were a "fishnet" material version where the holes, or openings, in the jersey, were much more pronounced.

That's great info on the 2 styles of jerseys!!!...is it possible that the font would vary from the fishnet to the standard mesh?...I still can't find any pictures anywhere with the #5 being screened on this way until they went
    to Apex..the pic below is from a game in 85...with the amount of wear discribed in the write-up, it sounds like almost a seasons worth of use

Here is LT wearing Champion mesh jerseys. The photo is from the book LT. The players numbers beside LT has more of the open mesh look. They probably change some with use and when laundered.

I would assume this is a early season, warm weather, jersey. Maybe look at the previous years and see if the skinny type font was used then. It could be a left over.

I spoke to Victor today and he said he was very comfortable with the consignor, this jersey and the history as he knows it. He said that he was going to post picture of the repairs. Also there is a zoom in feature in the upper corner that will enlarge the picture to any area for close examinaton.

Roger
    Attached Images Attached Images  

roger...

that is a great pic that shows LT with a cut jersey with the fish net style of jersey....

but yet again the font is wrong....so if I understand correctly, AMI is comfortable with the jersey solely based on who the consignor is?

And what is the intention of showing a close up of the jersey?....is the font of the #5 going to get clearer with close ups?

What does Lampsons personal LOA read?

I'm getting more confused....again, is there one pic anywhere of LT or any Giant with a #5 font that matches

I do know that the 5 does not match, basically the jersey style was what I was showing. I believe the early pictures of LT, he is wearing Sand Knits.

I looked some last night. The Giants seem to have worn the Champion fishnets in 83-86. All the home jersey's had red/white/red striped sleeve cuffs. The aways were blue/red/blue. The 86 jerseys had a Spider 43 patch on the chest. If anyone knows what that was for I would like to know. They may have used the fishnets after that, but I did not see any pictures. Attached is a good side of LT in a fishnet in 86. All the fishnets had double mesh shoulders. From a angle they look almost like dazzel cloth but are not. All the other teams that wore the Champion fishnets, Bill, Bucs & Redskins seem to have mesh shoulders also.

The only jerseys with that type 5 I found were 84 & 85 Pro Bowls, photos attached of LT & Carson. Does anyone know who manufactured the 84-5 Pro bowl jersey's? I think it was Sand Knit. Did Sand Knit make a mesh jersey? I know by 78 it was Rawlings who provided Pro Bowl jerseys.

With this all being said, and regardless of what we turn up, I do not believe that AMI purposely is trying to sell bogus items. They do bring a lot of great items to the market. They are relying on authenticators and team paperwork to validate items. I think we all agree, the authenticators are not doing their job very well. I have been a customer of AMI since the very first auction and have spent quite a bit of money with them. I have had a few issues in which I have returned items, with proof that that I believe they are not as represented. He has always returned my money. Let's play this thing out and see what we can find.

Roger
    Attached Images Attached Images    

spider patch is a memorial for Giants DB Spider Lockhart who died that year. they had a home and road version of the patch

Banned

There can be no question in the mind of any objective, thinking individual that many auction houses do hide behind the authenticators, and I use that term loosely when referring to the likes of Mr. Lampson, or the wonderful 100% Authentic "team". That's exactly why a Lou Lampson was created, why his name was virtually branded by conscious effort, and why he continues to produce the volume he does. The day he no longer gets huge auction house contracts is the day he finds another line of work.

All to create "plausible deniability" for these "auction houses" to facilitate volume sales of fraudulent items as the honest market is significantly smaller and therefore far less lucrative.

As for photo matching, the farther back the item goes the less material can be turned up on Getty or other photo sources to help prove an item false, or at least identify a style match. Such is the case with this jersey. Regrettably, the limited resources make it harder to document challenges and to dispute items with some weight.

I do believe until the FBI truly cracks down on the industry, this wheel will continue to turn making this hobby a very treacherous mine field to navigate.

I in no way condone the sale, or even the listing of items that are known to be phony. It would be nice if some auction house gave a 100% money back guarantee if their item was proved to be not as represented, forever. Instead they have a "absolutely no return policy". I do ot do bsiness with those houses. I returned a item to another large auction house with proof, and they only gave me a credit instead of a refund. I held my nose and bought another item from them but will not do business with them anymore.

I am a black and white guy. Things are real or they are not. If this item proves beyond a doubt to be fake, then it should be removed. I saw a Ray Lewis jersey that I sent back, when I proved it was a absolute fake, and it just showed up at another auction hose with the same authenicators letter. Some unsuspecting person paid good money for it. The auction house did what they could by refunding me and returning it to the "BIG NAME" consignor, who they did not question about the Lewis. He turns around and sends it to another house to knowingly dump it. That is the problem. People that make thing and try to pass them off using auction houses to insulate them from the fire.

This has got a little off the LT jersey. I am still looking. I agree with MVandor that it is hard to find pictures of older items. Let do the work and see where this goes.

Roger