Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Would you use MEARS to authenticate your game used items?

Would you use MEARS to authenticate your game used items? Not familiar with MEARS and/or their reputation in the hobby. Any advise and/or guidance would be appreciated.

Banned

Re: Would you use MEARS to authenticate your game used items?

I would if I thought it could get an A10 grade. Other than that, I can't really see the point of having it graded.
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by 33bird View Post
    I would if I thought it could get an A10 grade. Other than that, I can't really see the point of having it graded.
    Greg
    Looking more at authenticating vice grading, or do they have to do both?

The only way you can get an A10 is to have air tight provenance...right?
    If that's the case, I'll take the provenance and save myself the money...

Dave

Banned

No, that's for post-1987 jerseys. Pre-1987 game used stuff can get an A10 without the air tight stuff, since older jerseys didn't come with team coa's, etc. Yea, you can get things authenticated or graded, just depends on what you have and what you need done with it.
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by 33bird View Post
    No, that's for post-1987 jerseys. Pre-1987 game used stuff can get an A10 without the air tight stuff, since older jerseys didn't come with team coa's, etc. Yea, you can get things authenticated or graded, just depends on what you have and what you need done with it.
    Greg
    I'm two faced...

I guess I would buy a reasonably priced MEARS item...but doubtful that I would actually send something I own off. For insurance purposes/appraisal, etc. I might consider it - but as with anything that is opinion based...it's subjective, and you should never over-anticipate results. I would be interesting in knowing the population of MEARS A10 graded items based on submissions....

Actaully, even anything above 5 (is that the auction house minimum?).

How many items are given low grades?

Dave

I just received my Pujols bat that is graded a A8.5 (would have been A9 if not for the crack) That thing is better than I expected from the pics. I dont know if Id send any of my pieces in to be graded but getting one along with a piece is pretty cool to have.

Can you guys tell me what each of the grades mean? I've read them, but each time I do, it seems like each grade is just about the same. Other than A-10.
    "We need rebirth of the American tradition of leadership ... in private life as well." "'Trust me' government asks that we concentrate our hopes and dreams on one man; that we trust him to do what's best for us. My view of government places trust not in one person or one party, but in those values that transcend persons and parties. The trust is where it belongs--in the people." - Ronald Reagan"

http://www.freewebs.com/chrishwish/

Quote Originally Posted by cigarman44 View Post
    I just received my Pujols bat that is graded a A8.5 (would have been A9 if not for the crack) That thing is better than I expected from the pics. I dont know if Id send any of my pieces in to be graded but getting one along with a piece is pretty cool to have.
    Joe - you stole that bat. GREAT pickup. One of the best Albert examples I have ever seen.

Dave

To answer AROD's questions, though no one is perfect, MEARS generally has a good reputation in the hobby. Even the vocal critics on this board generally acknowledge that they are a good outfit, especially for baseball jerseys.

As with sending in an autograph, one has to debate if the cost for the letter is worth the financial return, but in the market and with ordinary collectors a MEARS letter is significant. A MEARS letter will be of particular importance for buyers who don't ordinarily buy game used and want a desire a second opinion.