Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Grey Flannel : Clemens And Rivera Game Used Gloves

Grey Flannel surrently has two NY Yankee game used gloves for auction. The first is Roger Clemens and the second is Mariano Rivera. I would appreciate any thoughts concerning authenticity from knowledgable collectors. Thanks.

http://www.greyflannelauctions.com/s...Search=CLEMENS

http://www.greyflannelauctions.com/s...&Search=RIVERA
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Re: Grey Flannel : Clemens And Rivera Game Used Gloves

I am also interested in these gloves. I've learned a lot about bats here the last few years but admit to knowing little about gloves. Do these appear to be really game used or just the players models with an autograph. I know this question has come up before and I'd like the input of anyone who is knowledgeable on this subject.

I'm still interested if anyone has any opinion as to whether these appear to be game used gloves. If the Clemons glove is autographed there must be some source to it.

http://206.188.193.59/index.asp?Page...rodID=316&HS=1

Check Roger's website out first. Same glove, autograph in same place. However mint glove.

The Cy Young inscription with Young spelled out is very nice
    and not found on the glove on his charity site

I am not saying that the glove is not game used, or Roger didn't write all of that. What I am saying is do you homework before spending a lot of money with something that has little use on it. I have just like most in the hobby trusted somebody and got burned later, or found out that the person didn't know what he or she had. I put that out there so all the information is presented. I hope to God it is real just like everything I have purchased in the 25 years I been collecting.

Its frustrating when you ask a seller to give some information on the background of an item described as game used and they just say its a respected source. I understand the desire not to give out names but it would seem they could give a little background as to how the item was acquired.

I agree. While I understand they may not wish to give the consignor's identity, it would be nice to give the nature of the source where the item came from-- 'clubhouse worker,' 'former team employee.'

A friend of mine won a bunch of personal items that belonged to a famous athlete in a Lelands auction. After he won it, he was curious where it came from-- in part as he was curious and in part he wanted to know if the provenance helped proved that it belonged to the person. Lelands gave him the phone number of the consignor (presumably the consignor said it was okay), and it turned out the consignor was the athlete's nextdoor neighbor and longtime family friend who the athlete gave the items too. She also gave my friend important details about the items that weren't included in the auction description. Needless to say, my friend was satisfied with Lelands' 'source.'

Gfa added a nice paragraph on the web, consistent with
    the glove description.

Nice job here

I was very interested in the reason given in the description of Clemons glove as to why a pitchers glove might appear stiff even if it is game used. I wonder if many other pitchers used gloves that are stiff as I have seen several gloves advertised as game used by pitchers that appeared to be very stiff? Is this a not unusual practice as I hadn't heard of it before. And wouldn't it have some effect on a pitchers ability to field a ball?