Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Opinions on Ortiz bat please

Hi All,

I was surfing Ebay while waiting for supper to be ready and came across this bat. Comparing it to Ortiz game used bats from this year, it is a type/style match. It seemed like a decent deal, but I would much appreciate it if you all would tell me if you believe it is a legit gamer.

Thanks!

Re: Opinions on Ortiz bat please

Quote Originally Posted by Tedw9 View Post
    Hi All,

I was surfing Ebay while waiting for supper to be ready and came across this bat. Comparing it to Ortiz game used bats from this year, it is a type/style match. It seemed like a decent deal, but I would much appreciate it if you all would tell me if you believe it is a legit gamer.

Thanks!
    Looks like a legit Ortiz gamer, typical pine tar application and cleat marks to the left barrel area.

The bat would have sold for a lot more if it was not missing that sliver on the handle. I posted some pics of some Ortiz gamers in my collection to compare.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by gameused View Post
    Looks like a legit Ortiz gamer, typical pine tar application and cleat marks to the left barrel area.

The bat would have sold for a lot more if it was not missing that sliver on the handle. I posted some pics of some Ortiz gamers in my collection to compare.
    Nice collection !
    Bill Heagy
    heagysports.com
    Go Phillies !

Quote Originally Posted by gameused View Post

HOLY CRAP! I need a little bow down smiley to insert here! That is one incredible Papi collection. I am three shades of green with envy.

Thank you for the opinion, that makes me feel better about the purchase. You say it would have sold for more without the sliver being missing? So there is a price/value difference with whole, cracked and slivered bats? A newbie question, I know and I apologize for that. Was the bat worth what I paid?

Gameused, that is one fantastic collection of Ortiz bats. I have only 1 Ortiz bat, but it is from the 2004 season. As a RedSox fan for 40 years, I had to have a bat from the 2004 season when "the curse" was finally busted. During the 1990's I collected Mo Vaughn bats because I thought that Mo would help get the RedSox to a series victory.

Quote Originally Posted by Tedw9 View Post
    HOLY CRAP! I need a little bow down smiley to insert here! That is one incredible Papi collection. I am three shades of green with envy.

Thank you for the opinion, that makes me feel better about the purchase. You say it would have sold for more without the sliver being missing? So there is a price/value difference with whole, cracked and slivered bats? A newbie question, I know and I apologize for that. Was the bat worth what I paid?
    No problem, glad to be of help. Definetly a price difference with bats with large slivers or handles missing, slight difference in price with cracked bats vs uncracked (some collectors like bats with cracks others like them uncracked) to me it does not matter, I just like my bats with lots of game use. I think you paid a fair price for the bat now that the Red Sox won the World Series, collectors like bats from W.S years.

Also, thanks guys for the compliments on the Ortiz collection. Ortiz and Manny are the two main guys I collect along with other current Red Sox players.

I added three 2007 Ortiz bats this year and will post some pics later.

From top to bottom, here are the years of the bats.
    2005 Home Run Derby bat (Ortiz hit a total of 20 Home Runs with this bat, photo matched)
    2006 54th HR bat (I have photo matched this bat to the final games of the the 06 season 9/23, 9/26-54th HR game, 9/27, 9/29 Papi's last double of the season)

Heres the 2007 Ortiz bats:

Nokona Maple Dominican flag-Photo Matched

Nokona Maple-Brown handle

Rawlings Maple-Photo Matched
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Wow, just when I thought it couldn't get any better, you go and post more! I was happy to get one bat, but NINE? That's incredible.

I got to ask, where are you photo matching at? I bought MLB.TV subscription, but with no luck so far. The picture is too grainy.

I had great luck finding matches on wesbhots.com and flickr.com

Post some pics of your Ortiz bat, I save a lot of Ortiz photos from the season and I will check to see if I can find a match.